Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY '07: Luxury Sedans over $50k
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
clarkma5
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year '07 competition, please see this thread.

Audi S6/S8
Base MSRP:
$72,000 (S6), $92,000 (S8)
Available Engines: 5.2 liter direct-injection DOHC 40-valve V10 with 435 HP and 398 ft.-lbs. of torque (450 HP on S8)
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode
Available Drivetrains: All wheel drive
Curb Weight: 4277-4486 lbs.

Lexus GS450h
Base MSRP:
$54,900
Available Engines: 3.5 liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with hybrid system 340 net total HP and 267 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: CVT transmission with manual shift mode
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive
Curb Weight: 4134 lbs.

Lexus LS460
Base MSRP:
$61,000
Available Engines: 4.6 liter DOHC 32-valve V8 with 380 HP and 367 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 8-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive
Curb Weight: 4244-4332 lbs.

Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Base MSRP:
$85,750
Available Engines: 5.5 liter DOHC 32-valve V8 with 382 HP and 391 ft.-lbs. of torque, 5.5 liter twin-turbo SOHC 36-valve V12 with 510 HP and 612 ft.-lbs. of torque, 6.0 liter twin-turbo SOHC 36-valve V12 with 604 HP and 738 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 7-speed automatic with manual shift mode (5.5 only) or 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode (V12s only)
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive or all wheel drive (5.5 only)
Curb Weight: 4465-5035 lbs.

Asher
S6/8, hands down. 8 in particular.
infinity
The TT V12 in the Merc is hard to ignore, but the S8 would be my top pick. 8-speed tranny in the LS is cool too. GS doesn't do much for me, and the V6 isnt enough in a crowd like this. S8 gets my top pick, although I'd take the Merc over a S6 so im not really sure where to cast my vote? I guess ill go with the audi since im not a huge merc fan...
dukenukem
S- Class ... I dont plan on going canyon carving in a luxury barge so no S8 for me.
PBB
Both Lexuses and the Merc are just rolling gimmicks, the Audis are the obvious choice for the discerning enthusiast.
Tirminyl
Audi hands down.
moe
I voted for the LS. If I'm buying a car of this size, like Duke said, I'm not going canyon carving. I want a comfortable cruiser...so it was either the LS or the S-class, and IMO the new LS is just stunning.

EDIT: I will add that the latest Lexus GSs are some of the best-looking sedans I have ever seen.
leif
I wanted to vote for the Lexus LS460, but I knew if I had one I would regret it every time I saw an A8.
Import vs. Domestic
The Audi cars win this one for me. The new S-class isn't anywhere as elegant or stately as the outgoing model (re: this one if hideous).

Both Lexuses are very nice cars, but neither one has the sporty driving DNA of the Audis. Too bad... both Lexus cars are very pretty, and you know they're built damn well.
Halflifehavock13
2 lexuses and an s class against the s6/s8, is this a joke?
infinity
Dude...Mercedes, and especially Lexus, are not bad.
Halflifehavock13
QUOTE(infinity935 @ Nov 25 2006, 12:36 AM) *
Dude...Mercedes, and especially Lexus, are not bad.

But good god are the lexus' boring. As for the merc, the interior is just not up to spec and the audi just kicks too much ass.
infinity
Well I guess its all up to personal opinions, but i think the current Lexus' are the best quality and best looking to date, especially the GS's looks and the LS's features/gadgets. Neither of them are dull by any means in my opinion - although I'm not disputing the fact (er, opinion i suppose) that the Audi's are superior.
clarkma5
QUOTE(Halflifehavock13 @ Nov 24 2006, 09:24 PM) *
2 lexuses and an s class against the s6/s8, is this a joke?

It's what's new this year. Couldn't really avoid it.

The S-class does include the S65 AMG, of course, if that helps.
moe
Just out of curiosity, why'd you lump the S6 and S8 together Clarkma?
clarkma5
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Nov 25 2006, 07:49 AM) *
Just out of curiosity, why'd you lump the S6 and S8 together Clarkma?

They're mechanically very similar, look pretty similar, and go pretty much the same. I figured there wasn't much between them.
Mr b00st
there's not much difference between a 250bhp V6 and a 420 bhp V10?

Err, OK.

anyway, easiest poll ever. A6/S6 obviously. I hate lexus's, and the S class is too large for my taste. I see the masses agree.
Halflifehavock13
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Nov 25 2006, 03:03 AM) *
It's what's new this year. Couldn't really avoid it.

The S-class does include the S65 AMG, of course, if that helps.

Just a little sarcasm.
clarkma5
QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Nov 25 2006, 08:31 PM) *
there's not much difference between a 250bhp V6 and a 420 bhp V10?

Err, OK.
anyway, easiest poll ever. A6/S6 obviously. I hate lexus's, and the S class is too large for my taste. I see the masses agree.

It's S6/S8, not A6/S8. They both have a 5.2 liter FSI 40-valve V10 with 398 ft.-lbs. of torque. The S8 has 15 more HP and they use the same 6-speed automatic transmission and same AWD system. Hence, mechanically similar. The standard 3.2 or 4.2 A6s aren't even in the equation.
Mr b00st
oh, i'm totally retarded as usual. My apologies, Clarkma. i need to work on my reading skillz!
McKhaos
Lexus LS . Hands down .
White RSX
QUOTE(McKhaos @ Nov 27 2006, 01:06 AM) *
Lexus LS . Hands down .

Buying an image car to maintain an image you wanted to escape by buying an image car ftw?
caymanNCSU
Audi rocks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.