Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY '07: Superminis
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
clarkma5
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year '07 competition, please see this thread.

Chevrolet Aveo Sedan
Base MSRP:
$12,575
Available Engines: 1.6 liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 103 HP and 107 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive
Curb Weight: 2531-2542 lbs.

Honda Fit
Base MSRP:
$13,850
Available Engines: 1.5 liter SOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 109 HP and 105 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual or 5-speed automatic transmission (with paddle shifters on Fit Sport model)
Curb Weight: 2432-2551 lbs.

Nissan Versa
Base MSRP:
$12,550
Available Engines: 1.8 liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 122 HP and 127 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission (S only), or CVT transmission (SL only)
Curb Weight: 2722-2779 lbs.

Toyota Yaris
Base MSRP:
$11,050
Available Engines: 1.5 liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 106 HP and 103 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission
Curb Weight: 2288-2335 lbs.

redlinehappiness
Versa, It's spacious, comfortable, and that's really what you want to have in a "supermini"
clarkma5
I don't particularly care for any of these cars, but the Fit gets my vote. Purportedly the sharpest drive and with an admittedly slick interior, I could live with that. I'd just try to not look at it.
Phix
The Versa.

Best looking out of all the cars here, IMO. Looks very roomy, interior is good... but sucks compared to the Honda... kind of on the heavy side, too.

Oh well. At least it's not as ugly as the rest. :/
Cyclone
I voted for the Fit. Sure it's the most expensive in this category but I really like the looks of it for some reason and thats quite an attractive interior in a car of its price range. Something that manufactures tend to over look in cheap cars.
moe
Don't really care for any of them.

EDIT: Clarkma can you change my vote from Versa to Yaris. Thanks.
clarkma5
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Nov 18 2006, 07:58 AM) *
Don't really care for any of them.

EDIT: Clarkma can you change my vote from Versa to Yaris. Thanks.

done
Mr b00st
it's not even a contest. the Fit is the only one i'd be remotely interested in owning.

I've driven a Yaris and it's junk. I mean it gets you from A to B so if that's your prerequisite it's great (and that takes out the Aveo. I question it's ability to get you anywhere to be honest.)

The versa would be my second choice. It's cool that it has a six speed. I really wish more manufacturers offered six speeds on base models; how much more expensive can it really be? It makes highway cruising so much more relaxing.
Flaw
The Versa. I'd take it's interior over the Fit, it costs less, and performance is in the same ballpark, albeit a bit behind that of the Fit.
White RSX
I'd take the Fit if I ever lost my mind and bought one of these.

Rather have something fairly reliable.
PBB
At gunpoint, I'd rather be seen in a Fit.
infinity
Versa. More bang for your buck than the rest, 6-speed manual, and not domestic. The only thing about it thats any worse than the other options is the interior, which is just bland more than anything.
fiber optic
QUOTE(PBB @ Nov 20 2006, 02:14 AM) *
At gunpoint, I'd rather have my brains scattered througout the room.

No vote cast.
Dr. Strangelove
I just wrote an article on these cars. I would rather have a Fit, but the Versa is the best. The Yaris is lame.
Import vs. Domestic
I'd happily own a Fit as a second car. So much versatility, and it's an honest-to-god made-in-Japan Honda (Not too many of those nowadays in the low budget category).

The CRX reincarnated... I love it (2200 lbs!... a turbo or a K20 swap and this thing would be great fun!).
moe
QUOTE(Import vs. Domestic @ Nov 21 2006, 10:10 AM) *
The CRX reincarnated... I love it (2200 lbs!... a turbo or a K20 swap and this thing would be great fun!).

Blasphemy. I think the Fit is the most overrated sub-compact ever. At least its dynamics are. I'm tired of this bullshit with the US magazines saying it has "sports-car like" handling. It's got quick steering, but it's utterly lifeless, and at anything over a 120kmh it completely lacks stability.

Putting it's overrated dynamics out of the equation, the car's genius. It's versatile and its use of space is clever; it revolutionized the supermini segment in Europe. I voted for the Versa at first...just because it was the best to drive out of a bad bunch IMO, then I switched to the Yaris because I didn't care about this segment, and in sedan form, it was the best looking. Now I want to switch my vote again, because I do care about this segment I guess. I believe Gordan Murray once said that it was harder to design a good supermini than it was a good supercar. Hence the abundance of legendary supercars, but the lack of memorable minis (the original Mini, Fiat 500, Smart, and Audi A2 come to mind).

That's why I want to change my vote to the Fit from the Yaris...thanks Clarkma.
clarkma5
Ohh kay one from yaris to fit.
moe
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Nov 21 2006, 12:38 PM) *
Ohh kay one from yaris to fit.

Yeah, sorry I keep changing my mind. I just didn't think it through the first couple times.
Tirminyl
The Fit gets my vote. If I was in the market for a minicar, then there will be no other to fill its spot. Sport model with paddle shifters, and the huge aftermarket did not sway my decision either.
Import vs. Domestic
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Nov 21 2006, 04:32 AM) *
Blasphemy. I think the Fit is the most overrated sub-compact ever. At least its dynamics are. I'm tired of this bullshit with the US magazines saying it has "sports-car like" handling. It's got quick steering, but it's utterly lifeless, and at anything over a 120kmh it completely lacks stability.

Hey, I never mentioned its handling (though I can see where you maybe inferred that from my CRX analogy), just it's major potential as a true compact car, unlike the current crop of Civics and the like, pushing close to 3000 lbs!
moe
QUOTE(Import vs. Domestic @ Nov 22 2006, 06:18 AM) *
Hey, I never mentioned its handling (though I can see where you maybe inferred that from my CRX analogy), just it's major potential as a true compact car, unlike the current crop of Civics and the like, pushing close to 3000 lbs!

I didn't mean to direct that at you. It just seems there's a lot of people who're quoting Edmund's directly and saying the Fit has "sports-car like" driving dynamics. Which is a complete overstatement...
clarkma5
This thread closes in 6 hours guys; last call to vote or discuss in this category!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.