Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY '07 Preliminary list
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Pages: 1, 2
clarkma5
Alright, here's the list I've developed. Like last year, everything's based on the US market because we are a predominantly american board and to start including cars from all over the world will make everything way too complicated. Please note that the Audi TT will NOT be in the '07 competition because it is a 2008 model in the US. Also, the VW Rabbit was included in last year's competition as the Golf MkV.

Acura MDX
Acura RDX
Acura TL Type-S
Ariel Atom
Audi A4 Convertible
Audi Q7
Audi S6/S8
Bentley Continental GTC
BMW 3-series Coupe
BMW 3-series Sedan/Wagon
*BMW M Coupe
*BMW M Roadster
BMW M6 Convertible
BMW X3
BMW X5
Buick Enclave/GMC Acadia/Saturn Outlook
Cadillac Escalade/GMC Yukon/Yukon XL
Chevrolet Avalanche
Chevrolet Aveo
Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra
Chevrolet Suburban/Tahoe
Chrysler Aspen
Chrysler Sebring
Dodge Caliber
Dodge Nitro/Jeep Compass
*Dodge Viper SRT-10 Coupe
Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano
Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX
Ford Expedition
Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe
Ford Shelby GT500 Convertible
Honda CR-V
Honda Civic Si Sedan
Honda Fit
Hyundai Elantra
Hyundai Entourage
Hyundai Santa Fe
Infiniti G35 Sedan
Jaguar XK Coupe
Jaguar XK Convertible
Jeep Wrangler
*Kia Optima
Koenigsegg CCX
*Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder
Lamborghini Murcielago LP640
Lexus ES350
Lexus GS450h
Lexus LS460
Lincoln MKZ
Lincoln Navigator
Lotus Exige S
Mazda CX-7
Mazda CX-9
Mazdaspeed3
Mazda MX-5 PRHT
Mercedes-Benz CL-Class
Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Mercedes-Benz McLaren SLR 722 Edition
Mini Cooper/Cooper S
Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder
Mitsubishi Outlander
*Mosler MT900S
Nissan Altima
Nissan Sentra
Nissan Versa
Pontiac G5
Pontiac Solstice GXP/Saturn Sky RedLine
Porsche 911 Targa 4/4S
Porsche 911 GT3/GT3 RS
Porsche 911 Turbo
Porsche Boxster/Boxster S
Porsche Cayman 2.7
*Saleen S7 Twin Turbo
Saturn Aura
Suzuki SX4
Suzuki XL-7
Toyota Camry
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Toyota Yaris
Volkswagen Eos
Volvo C30
Volvo S80

*2006 or 2006.5 model that was not included in last year's competition
350Z
*Aston Martin V8 Vantage Convertible (Will there be any official information out on it in time for the competition or should we just wing it?)
We can probably just wing the vantage as we know pretty much what it is going to be like from the hardtop.

*Aston Martin DBS (same issue as the Vantage convertible)
A little harder to decide since we don't really know enough information.

*BMW 3-series Sedan (it has new engines, but should it be included?)
If the new engine in the 3-series is included then the Boxster should be to.

*BMW X3 (does a facelift matter enough?)
I would have to say that just a facelift really doesn't make it eligable

*Mazda MX-5 PRHT (Is the folding hardtop enough to have it considered?)
Because it's the MX-5 im going to have to say yes, I think a hardtop turns the MX-5 Into a significantly different car.

*Porsche Boxster/Boxster S (Are the new engines enough to have it considered?)
dukenukem
06 STI/ 07 Limited ?
clarkma5
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Nov 8 2006, 05:14 PM) *
06 STI/ 07 Limited ?

'06 STI was covered last year. The limited crossed my mind, but it realllly isn't that different from the non-limited. Barring a stupid uproar from everyone on the boards, I think it's not worth adding in, especially when you consider that it doesn't exactly have anything to compete against directly.
nismo
2007 Mercedes-Benz SLR 722 Edition
clarkma5
QUOTE(nismo @ Nov 8 2006, 05:22 PM) *
2007 Mercedes-Benz SLR 722 Edition

added, along with the koenigsegg CCX, ariel atom, and lotus exige S.
Halflifehavock13
<-- I know what I'll vote for.
hexagone
Honda Accord? heh.
dukenukem
The Limited competes against S4s and M3 .... its the same philosophy and performance is also in the same league.
Windshield
The hardtop-convert MX5 should definetley be in. The X3, no.
dukenukem
where the hell is the Si as well ?
eighteenseconds
exige wtf include elise plz thx.

in fact, exige s JUST arrived. like 2 days ago.
Mr b00st
are we supposed to submit any feedback in this thread, or just nominate other cars that have been forgotten?
clarkma5
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Nov 8 2006, 08:31 PM) *
where the hell is the Si as well ?

The Honda Civic Si Sedan is clearly in there

QUOTE(eighteenseconds @ Nov 8 2006, 08:45 PM) *
exige wtf include elise plz thx.

in fact, exige s JUST arrived. like 2 days ago.

The Car Of The Year Competition is only for cars new or significantly updated for the 2007 model year in the United States. Hence, Exige S because it's new, while we had the Elise and the Exige last year.

QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Nov 8 2006, 09:05 PM) *
are we supposed to submit any feedback in this thread, or just nominate other cars that have been forgotten?

Anything you want I guess, but if you could point out anything I've forgotten that is the most helpful.
infinity
I wasn't around for last years DSCOTY...can someone explain how it works? (I'm assuming its much like any car magazines COTY process?)
dukenukem
the car with the biggest fanboi following is crowned the winner ...
clarkma5
QUOTE(infinity935 @ Nov 8 2006, 10:21 PM) *
I wasn't around for last years DSCOTY...can someone explain how it works? (I'm assuming its much like any car magazines COTY process?)

We consider any car that's new or significantly revised for the 2007 model year in the United States and break them into categories and vote on them, deciding a winner in each category. We then take the winner from each category and put them all into a big overall vote and whatever wins the overall vote is the dieselstation car of the year. (Last year, the Bugatti Veyron won).
infinity
Are there winners for categories or just one overall winner...or both?
clarkma5
QUOTE(infinity935 @ Nov 8 2006, 10:37 PM) *
Are there winners for categories or just one overall winner...or both?

if you check out this thread from the 2006 competition, you'll see that there are winners for each category as well as an overall winner. If you click the category links, you'll see each of the individual polls for each category.
infinity
Muchos gracias amigo.
moe
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Nov 9 2006, 09:27 AM) *

LOL.

What about the 3-series wagon Clarkma?
clarkma5
I'll just lump it in with the sedan I guess. There really aren't any other wagons.
leif
I think the Legacy GT Spec B is new for this year...There was a Legacy GT limmited in 06, but it was an auto only.
moe
There's a facelifted Tiburon on the way, it'll be sold as an '07 model, does that count? Also the Touareg's been mildly facelifted.

EDIT: Not sure about this but, Caparo T1?

EDIT 2: Gallardo Spyder?
fiber optic
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Nov 9 2006, 12:27 AM) *

Duke you're a genius. The fact that most of us have driven few/none of the cars on the list means we're all going by appearances, statistics, and biases. I think the DSCOTY 'competition' is stupid. With that said, I hope I'm not forfeiting the privilege of voting and commenting. tongue_crossed-eyes.gif
moe
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Nov 9 2006, 10:04 PM) *
Duke you're a genius. The fact that most of us have driven few/none of the cars on the list means we're all going by appearances, statistics, and biases. I think the DSCOTY 'competition' is stupid. With that said, I hope I'm not forfeiting the privilege of voting and commenting. tongue_crossed-eyes.gif

I tend to go by what I've read in magazines and website that I frequent. Autocar and Edmunds mainly.
clarkma5
QUOTE(leif @ Nov 9 2006, 06:07 AM) *
I think the Legacy GT Spec B is new for this year...There was a Legacy GT limmited in 06, but it was an auto only.

Spec B was an '06 model too...it had a couple minor updates for '07, but not worth considering.

QUOTE(moethepaki @ Nov 9 2006, 06:28 AM) *
There's a facelifted Tiburon on the way, it'll be sold as an '07 model, does that count? Also the Touareg's been mildly facelifted.

EDIT: Not sure about this but, Caparo T1?

EDIT 2: Gallardo Spyder?

Tiburon facelift is insignificant. I would throw in the Touareg facelift but there's no info on it yet. I have no idea if the Caparo T1 is going to make it over here for the '07 model year; it'll probably be an '08. Gallardo Spyder was technically available as an '06 model but because it was released after last year's competition, I'm throwing it in this year's competition (same story on the BMW M Coupe and Roadster).
moe
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Nov 9 2006, 10:38 PM) *
Spec B was an '06 model too...it had a couple minor updates for '07, but not worth considering.
Tiburon facelift is insignificant. I would throw in the Touareg facelift but there's no info on it yet. I have no idea if the Caparo T1 is going to make it over here for the '07 model year; it'll probably be an '08. Gallardo Spyder was technically available as an '06 model but because it was released after last year's competition, I'm throwing it in this year's competition (same story on the BMW M Coupe and Roadster).

How is the Touareg's facelift insignificant, and the Tibouron's not? Just asking.
infinity
Is the Caparo T1 not a one-off prototype kind of deal anyways?
Boxster17
About the MKZ...how do you decide whether it goes up or not? It did get some minor exterior tweaks, a new engine and the option of AWD. Although I don't know if you're looking for a more noticeable difference between the previous year. Just wondering where you draw the line on what's enough and not enough to make it in.
clarkma5
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Nov 9 2006, 11:55 AM) *
How is the Touareg's facelift insignificant, and the Tibouron's not? Just asking.

It actually isn't; I was thinking of the 2008 redesign and thought you were talking about a different facelift for 2007. However, the 2008 redesign I was thinking of is the facelift you're talking about, so because it's slated for '08 in the US market, it's not included in the competition.

QUOTE(Boxster17 @ Nov 9 2006, 12:42 PM) *
About the MKZ...how do you decide whether it goes up or not? It did get some minor exterior tweaks, a new engine and the option of AWD. Although I don't know if you're looking for a more noticeable difference between the previous year. Just wondering where you draw the line on what's enough and not enough to make it in.

The MKZ was new last year as the Zephyr, and though there are some changes, there is a bit of a qualitative distinction to be made here.

Consider that I'm throwing in the BMW 3-series and Porsche Boxster in just because they have new engines. By that logic, the MKZ should be thrown in too. However, one has to realize that the 3-series and Boxster are benchmarks for their respective classes and including them in the debate is going to make them more interesting. The MKZ is the benchmark of nothing and doesn't really add anything to whatever category it's added to.

Does that mean the MKZ shouldn't be added at all? Not necessarily; I just think it kinda comes down to the fact that it isn't going to make an impact either way. It all comes down to how the categories get formulated...I like to have between 4 and 7 cars in each category and I like to have those cars chosen in such a way that they're going to create a good debate and a close vote, while also being similar in function and price. The way categories get formulated seriously influences whether or not these "borderline" cars get into the voting or not...if adding them allows for better categories, then I do; if adding them screws up everything, then I don't. And that's basically how my mind works.

But final point: I see your point and will certainly consider adding the MKZ. However, I hope you see mine and see that it's totally reasonable if I end up not adding it.
clarkma5
I'm adding the Viper SRT-10 Coupe and Saleen S7 Twin Turbo because they weren't considered last year and they really help out the categories I'm working on.
moe
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Nov 10 2006, 02:57 AM) *
I'm adding the Viper SRT-10 Coupe and Saleen S7 Twin Turbo because they weren't considered last year and they really help out the categories I'm working on.

Mosler has a new variant of their supercar as well don't they? And aren't Nobles new to the US (could be completely wrong here)?
clarkma5
No new nobles for the US; we've had the M12 and the M400 for awhile and the M15 is MIA.

I was looking into Mosler, as well as Factory Five's GTN but that appears to not be quite available for public consumption yet.

EDIT: The Mosler MT900S was EPA certified in middle 2005, so it isn't new for the US in 2007. I could toss it in still, though, considering I've tossed in a handful of other 2006 models that weren't considered last year.
Windshield
Lotus Europa?
Boxster17
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Nov 9 2006, 07:15 PM) *
But final point: I see your point and will certainly consider adding the MKZ. However, I hope you see mine and see that it's totally reasonable if I end up not adding it.

That sounds fair enough, I was just curious as to how you decided exactly what constituted it being included with some cars that have had minor tweaks. Now that you explained it, it seems to make more sense.
clarkma5
QUOTE(Windshield @ Nov 9 2006, 09:07 PM) *
Lotus Europa?

Not available in the US.
moe
QUOTE(Windshield @ Nov 10 2006, 08:07 AM) *
Lotus Europa?

It would probably embarass itself and lose anyway.
BlackJack
What about the Audi R8? Unless I missed something....

i vote for the MS3 because it's awesome in general. Low priced hatch to even beat the STi. thumbs_up.gif
clarkma5
QUOTE(BlackJack @ Nov 10 2006, 02:50 PM) *
What about the Audi R8? Unless I missed something....
i vote for the MS3 because it's awesome in general. Low priced hatch to even beat the STi. thumbs_up.gif

Audi R8 and TT are both 2008 models.

And the MS3 will not beat the STi. It's a pretty dead heat between the MS3 and the WRX.
PAULIE_D
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Nov 9 2006, 01:27 AM) *

hahaha....

infinity
Haha thats awesome paulie
Import vs. Domestic
QUOTE(BlackJack @ Nov 10 2006, 05:50 PM) *
Low priced hatch to even beat the STi. thumbs_up.gif

The MS3? Outrun an STI? Not on your life! Not even if the STI was running on fouled plugs!

Simply based on cars that *I* would want, out of that list I'd give the nod to the Saleen S7 Twin Turbo, the BMW M coupe/roadster cars, and the new BMW 335i coupe. :heart:
clarkma5
Well, we'll see how the voting goes down. I think I'll start putting up polls over thanksgiving weekend.
moe
Hey Clarkma, how about DS's best-looking car?
DakianDelomast
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Nov 14 2006, 06:55 AM) *
Hey Clarkma, how about DS's best-looking car?

You can already set moe up to vote for the CLS.
moe
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Nov 14 2006, 02:57 PM) *
You can already set moe up to vote for the CLS.

You know, you'd be right if there was a CLS to vote for...
DakianDelomast
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Nov 14 2006, 06:59 AM) *
You know, you'd be right if there was a CLS to vote for...

You'd still find a way to vote for the CLS.
moe
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Nov 14 2006, 03:00 PM) *
You'd still find a way to vote for the CLS.

I would if I could. Speaking of which...isn't the CLS63 new for '07 biggrin.gif
clarkma5
Every fucking mercedes is new with the 6.2 liter V8. I'm not going to throw every single Mercedes into the voting because it's just an engine change.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.