Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DeTomaso Pantera
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Frozen
eighteenseconds
The Pantera was produced by the de Tomaso company of Italy from 1971 through 1996. The word "Pantera" is Latin for "Panther". The car was designed by famed stylist, Tom Tjaarda and replaced the de Tomaso Mangusta. Unlike the Mangusta, which employed a steel backbone chassis, the Pantera was a steel monocoque design, the first instance of deTomaso using the construction technique.

The first 1971 Pantera was powered by a 351 in³ (5.8 L) Ford Cleveland V8 which produced 330 hp (246 kW). This was linked to a ZF five-speed manual transmission. Power-assisted four-wheel disc brakes and rack and pinion steering were also specified. The 1971 Pantera could accelerate to 60 mph (97 km/h) in 5.5 seconds according to Car and Driver.

Late in 1971, Ford began importing Panteras for the American market to be sold through its Lincoln Mercury dealers. The first 75 cars were simply European imports and are known for their "push-button" door handles and hand-built Carrozzeria Vignale bodies. A total of 1,007 Panteras reached the United States that first year.

Several modifications were made for the 1972 model year. A new 4-bolt Cleveland engine was used with lower compression (from 11:1 to 8.6:1) but with more aggressive camshaft timing. Many changes were made internally, including the use of a factory exhaust header.

The "Lusso" (luxury) Pantera L was also introduced in 1972. It featured large black bumpers for the US market as well as a 248 hp (185 kW) Cleveland engine.

The 1974 Pantera GTS featured yet more luxury items and badging.

Ford ended their importation to the U.S. in 1975, having sold roughly 5,500 cars in the United States. de Tomaso continued to built the car, however, in ever-escalating forms of performance and luxury for more than a decade. A small number of Panteras were imported to the US by gray market importers in the 1980s, notably Panteramerica. In all, about 7,200 Panteras were built.

infinity
This car has always baffled me. I can never decide if its gorgeous or freakishly ugly. Nevertheless, definitely frostbitten-finger frozen. Definitely ahead of its time and the rarity of them makes it all the better.
moe
FROSTBITE! Yeah, that first black one is absolute sex. Frozen in general, but uncool for the body-kitted ones...they're trying too hard and ruin the car's lines.
clarkma5
The Pantera is so ridiculously awesome it hurts me.
McKhaos
I absolutely love it with that wing on the back .
Dr. Strangelove
De Tomaso = Frozen
NorthPoint
Tim Horton died in one.
eighteenseconds
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Oct 31 2006, 11:23 AM) *
FROSTBITE! Yeah, that first black one is absolute sex. Frozen in general, but uncool for the body-kitted ones...they're trying too hard and ruin the car's lines.

Those are actually just the standard look of the later model GT5's.
moe
QUOTE(eighteenseconds @ Oct 31 2006, 11:00 PM) *
Those are actually just the standard look of the later model GT5's.

They ruined it.
eighteenseconds
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Oct 31 2006, 12:16 PM) *
They ruined it.

The later ones remind me of the Countach, and I will always love that. Definitely a love or hate thing.
moe
QUOTE(eighteenseconds @ Oct 31 2006, 11:52 PM) *
The later ones remind me of the Countach, and I will always love that. Definitely a love or hate thing.

That's part of what ruins the later ones for me, they look like Countach wannabes. The originals had their own distinct style, and they were gorgeous.
Halflifehavock13
Good god, I love it. I always see about 5-10 of them all running in a pack or parked on the side of the road with their hoods open. Good photo opportunity.
UserDrew
lol I posted this before the forum crashed last summer.

I see one around the streets of my community occasionally. A few years back I saw him smoke a G35 from a stop at a light and more recently I saw him outside autozone but I was to shy to walk up to the guy and take pictures of his car.

Frozen.
tune
Sooooooo cool. I don't like the full bodykitted one so much, but the rest are hot/frozen.
green73ta
Oh but HELL YES!!!
SirZhukov
Its a responsive car during its time, and "pure grunt". Just look at it!

Cool
Mr b00st
Early panteras are much prettier than the faster, later GT5 but they're all maximum cool IMO.

that black one made me cum in my pants a little bit.
Avalon
Has anyone besides me actually heard a Pantera? They are absolutely unbelievable. One of the coolest cars ever built, without a doubt.
XdrewsiferX
This summer my wife and I took my dads car out for a drive with 3 pantera's and few mustangs. So i wanted to add a few more photos of panteras.

Pantera owners are freaks if one saw this page they could tell you who exactly owns each on in the photo and who has owned them before them.

And yes ive heard pantera's tongue.gif they are sex its like the rumble of a mustang but with the purr of a super car

UserDrew
QUOTE(Avalon @ Nov 26 2006, 06:27 PM) *
Has anyone besides me actually heard a Pantera? They are absolutely unbelievable. One of the coolest cars ever built, without a doubt.

Yes, there is a guy somewhere around her with one. I saw him at kragen a few months ago and talking to a guy up the street from me who works on cars. About 4 years ago I was behind him at a light and a G35 Coupe pulled up the light turned green and it was gone.
tune
I heard one at Le Mans, gorgeous.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.