Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ford Capri 2600 RS
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Frozen
PBB
The RS-2600s are the homologation specials for the highly successful Group 2 Capri race cars. Group 2 was a production-based class, and so they required that certain parts be "homologated" (i.e. used in a roadgoing version of the car) to be legally used on the race car. Ford wanted to build a lightweight, fuel-injected race Capri, so they had to build a special lightweight, fuel-injected street-legal Capri. Other famous homologation specials include the "Boss 302" Mustangs for Trans-Am racing, the early 1970s Plymouth Superbirds and the late 1980s "Aeroback" Monte Carlos for NASCAR, and of course, the Ferrari 250 GTO.

Since Group 2 rules did not require that it be sold anywhere outside Germany, the car was designed expressly for the European market, and it was not designed to meet US regulations. No RS-2600s were ever brought to the US officially, but we know that a few made it here anyway.

What Makes a Capri an RS-2600?

RS-2600s are different from other Capris both visually and mechanically.

* 150 HP fuel-injected Cologne V-6
o 69 mm stroke crankshaft, vs. 66.8 mm in normal 2600.
o 2637 cc displacement vs. 2550 cc in normal 2600.
o High compression pistons, normal 90mm bore.
o 2300GT camshaft
o Factory tubular headers
o Kugelfischer Fuel injection
o Ordinary 2600 heads
o Modified 2300 oil pan
* slightly flared front fenders
* Re-drilled front crossmember for negative camber
* 13x6 alloy wheels (Minilite, Richard Grant or FAVO 4-spoke)
* special Scheel sports seats
* special steering wheel
* Hirsch monoleaf rear springs
* Larger fuel tank (62 liters, approx 16.4 gallons, same as 3-liter Capris)
* Revised lighting
o Rectangular backup lights in the rear valence panel on pre-facelift models.
o Blinker lights in the front bumper holes before October 1971.
o Blinker lights integrated into the front bumper after October 1971.
o Driving lights on "Facelift" models, after June 1972.
* Austere interior trim.
* RS badges.
* shaped exhaust tips
o Oval on pre-facelift
o Rectangular on post-facelift
* No Bumpers (before October 1971)
* Quarter Bumpers (after October 1971)

Unlike other European Capris brought to the US, the RS-2600 had "FORD" lettering on the hood, instead of "CAPRI". The RS-2600 also had "FORD" lettering on the trunk. The front crossmember was re-drilled so that the lower control arms could be mounted further out. This increased the camber for improved handling. When the revised front suspension was fitted to the first couple of prototypes, Ford quickly discovered that the front fenders interfered with the wheels, and so the RS-2600s front fenders were slightly flared. [1]

Other differences from "Federal" Capris include

* Metric instrumentation
* Pictogram switches
* Black dashboard! (woodgrain in black on pre-facelift models!)
* No center console.
* No fake brake intakes on the outside
* FORD lettering on hood and trunk.

OK, base Capris didn't have center consoles either, but they were fairly uncommon in the US

Two-tone paint schemes were typical on RS-2600s. All of them that we've seen have had them, but we haven't seen them all. Typically, the darker color is used on the hood, A-pillar, around the door and quarter-glass around the tail lights, and on the rocker panels. (lower doors, etc)

RS-2600s differed from other Capris in one other area as well: cost! In the early 70s, 2300GTs cost about 9980 DM, whereas RS-2600s cost about 15,800 DM.

RS-2600 Production and Evolution

The RS-2600 evolved somewhat during its 1971-1974 production run.

Prototypes and Plastikbombes

The Capri RS-2600 project was approved in November 1969. Work quickly began on two prototypes. It was during the construction of these two cars that Ford found they needed flared front fenders. A third was completed just barely in time for the Geneva auto show on March 12, 1970. Even then, it only had a mock-up of the intended fuel injection system.

The first versions were the lightweight "Plastikbombe" cars. These were used to homologate the Capri at only 900 kg. (1984.5 lbs) These cars also got the 69mm stroke crankshaft approved. "Plastikbombe" was a refence to their fiberglass hood, doors and trunk lid, (made by BBS) and plexiglas windows. The "Plastikbombe" cars could also be identified by their Minilite wheels, and their lack of a heater, bumpers, and carpeting. Some of these early lightweights had triple Solex carburetors, others had fuel injection. The lowered suspension meant that the car was VERY low to the ground. Evidently, they were using racing springs! Production of these cars started in March 1970 at Niehl. By April 17, 1970, all 50 were complete. The FIA approved the RS-2600 for racing sometime around August 1970.

Apparently, quality control was a real problem with these cars. Fit was often questionable. The plexiglass windows rattled in their mountings.

Engine

The RS-2600 engine evolved a bit over time. All of them used the 2600 block, and the 69mm crankshaft. All of them used the 2300GT camshaft and a modified 2300 oil pan. However, we've seen some evidence of a few changes.

The fuel injection system was fairly constant, however, as noted elsewhere, some of the early "Plastikbombe" cars had Solex carburettors. The fuel injection system did evolve slightly over time. We couldn't find figures on what was added when, but at some point, a cold-start injector was added. Also, there were changes to the fuel pump: a "three dimensional" cam was able to use engine speed, manifold vacuum, and throttle to determine how much fuel to deliver & when. This made the later RSs somewhat smoother.

The compression ratio seemed to vary a bit. The earlier models have 10.5:1 compression. Sometime around 1972, they changed to 10.0:1.

Date Compression Power Torque
1970-1971 10.5:1 150 @ 5800 @ 165 @ 3500
1972-1973 10.0:1 150 @ 5600 @ 159 @ 3500
Source: Rees, pg 77
Fuel Injection the Old-Fashioned Way

As noted above, the RS-2600 has Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection. It's quite an interesting setup.Fuel is pumped out of the tank with a low-pressure electric fuel pump. On the front of the engine, there is a belt-driven high-pressure fuel pump. This pump increases the fuel pressure to about 400 PSI. It sends the fuel out sequentially to six fuel lines, one to each injector.

We're pretty sure that this system was originally intended for an inline 6 cylinder engine. The high pressure pump's output lines are labeled for each cylinder, and they are numbered incorrectly for a Cologne V-6. The RS-2600 manual has a chart which shows the mapping for the correct cylinders on a Cologne V-6. However, we noticed that the pump's numbers are exactly correct for a Mercedes-Benz 3-liter inline 6.......

Pump injection order:
(element No.) 1 5 3 6 2 4
Engine Firing order:
(cylinders No.) 1 4 2 5 3 6

Originally posted by RallCat909
Tirminyl
Frozen. I love it.
RallyCat909
Frozen, I mean look at it.
Avalon
As much as I love it, it's not a cool car. Racecars cannot be cool except to people who love racing.
moe
QUOTE(Avalon @ Oct 8 2006, 07:36 AM) *
Racecars cannot be cool except to people who love racing.

I hope you're joking.
z0ne
QUOTE(Avalon @ Oct 8 2006, 12:36 AM) *
Racecars cannot be cool except to people who love racing.

QUOTE(moethepaki @ Oct 8 2006, 06:10 AM) *
I hope you're joking.

I can agree with Avalon to an extent. Maybe not people who love racing, but people who could just appreciate how much went into building the car.
moe
QUOTE(z0ne @ Oct 9 2006, 07:27 AM) *
I can agree with Avalon to an extent. Maybe not people who love racing, but people who could just appreciate how much went into building the car.

Put a racecar on the road and show up to a party in it...yeah, you're cool.
Phix
QUOTE(moethepaki @ Oct 9 2006, 06:54 AM) *
Put a racecar on the road and show up to a party in it...yeah, you're cool.

Maybe you're being sarcastic but hell yes that would be fucking awesome as hell.
moe
QUOTE(Phix @ Oct 10 2006, 08:53 AM) *
Maybe you're being sarcastic but hell yes that would be fucking awesome as hell.

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. Can you imagine pulling up at a gala dinner or something in a dirt covered WRC Impreza, or picking up a girl for a date in McLaren's 2-passenger F1 car? Even Clarkma would be able to get some action that way...

But seriously, it's always been a fantasy of mine to drive a racecar around public roads...I think I need a Radical...
Banglemobile
Ice cold frozen, although I'm sure it could do with more than 150BHP
tune
Like all old race cars, frozen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.