* Silky-smooth engine that revs to the moon
* Inexpensive
* Honda reliability

Cons:
* Honda forgot to install the torque
* Bizarre styling, inside and out
* Coupe not as useful as a hatchback

Mitlov
I say frozen. The lack of torque just makes you use the fantastic shifter more often, and makes the driving experience more involving. And the X-Files styling has grown on me. Besides, at the end of the day, it's a great-handling, smooth revving sport coupe. And it's a Honda, so you know it will be there for you when you need it.
duality
Uncool.
trail_boss2
I also voted frozen. The only things I dont really like are the styling of the rear, although its really not that bad and the lack of tourque but its a Honda so I expect the lack of tourque to be there anyways. I love the front of the car as well as the interior. You can beat the reliability of a Honda either so thats also a big plus.
PBB
Oh, Cool, how subjective thou art.
Ojectively, the Civic Si a great little car with few faults, minus the styling (which I abhor,) but modern cars are subjectively Cool based on their faults as daily drivers and their uniqueness. The Elise is too small with no cargo space, the Z06 Vette is too powerfully raw, the NSX is too expensive, the STi is unique(turchocharged AWD manual-transmission sedan), as is the R32 (the only AWD 2-door hatchback in the US market) and so on. Being neither faulty nor unique (the interior styling doesn't count as unique, that's a gimmick,) the Si is just lukewarm UnCool mediocrity pudding on the table of Cool.
Tirminyl
Cool. At first I hated them but they grew on me more and now I like them. My buddy has one so that doesn't help. I voted cool, because of the od styling and how weird I feel in the drivers seat.
DakianDelomast
Hondas can not be cool.
quazi22
I like every thing except the rear styling. Frozen. Its a Civic, you can not compare a Civic to a STI,Vette, NSX, and R32. As a base model Si you can compare with a Mazda 3, Nissan Sentra SE-R V spec, Cobolt, tC, and any other small sport coupe.
clarkma5
Truly the most borderline thing evar. A sharp little coupe is sorta cool, but then I realized two things:

1) ricers will get their hands on these eventually
2) the funky interior is stupid.

yeap.
trail_boss2
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ May 23 2006, 09:52 AM) *
Hondas can not be cool.

Your vote or post is useless. All fanboy and trend stuff aside, yes Hondas can be cool.
Halflifehavock13
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ May 23 2006, 03:35 PM) *
Truly the most borderline thing evar. A sharp little coupe is sorta cool, but then I realized two things:

1) ricers will get their hands on these eventually
2) the funky interior is stupid.

yeap.

You forgot the old people (they may not buy the si as much, but the regular civic has been).
clarkma5
QUOTE(Halflifehavock13 @ May 23 2006, 12:43 PM) *
You forgot the old people (they may not buy the si as much, but the regular civic has been).

That's a given for any non-performance Honda.

I kinda doubt the Si will draw that crowd though.
Mitlov
I think it's funny that three people said that they voted for frozen, but frozen only has two votes.

BTW, Dakian wins for most useless post of the thread.
Phix
It could have been cool.... but the very thought of all the Honda fanboys yellling "200 HP!!!! IN A HONDFA!!! IT CAN KILL A CAMARO OFF THE LINE! LOW WEIGHT! LOW WEIGHT!" makes me want to shoot myself... thus... MJU.
trail_boss2
Make that 2 dumb fucking posts in this thread.

Usually if a Honda fanboy owns a car, its not going to be a brand new civic.
Phix
QUOTE(trail_boss2 @ May 23 2006, 04:47 PM) *
Make that 2 dumb fucking posts in this thread.
Usually if a Honda fanboy owns a car, its not going to be a brand new civic.

The RICH fanboys will. :o
Halflifehavock13
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ May 23 2006, 03:45 PM) *
That's a given for any non-performance Honda.

I kinda doubt the Si will draw that crowd though.

True. Around where I am, a majority of all the s2000's are driven by old men in their late 50s and 60s. The only ones that haven't been are usually very tastefully decked out though.
Cyclone
I'm still not a big fan of the interior. However the body styling looks great and for $20k you get a great little performance car. Unfortunately it still leaves a little bit to be desired (more torque) and ricers will cream all over the car. It gets a Cool from me as i'd consider buying one
DakianDelomast
I revise my statement.

The last cool Honda was the EK series Type R with the B16B motor.
trail_boss2
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ May 24 2006, 12:09 AM) *
I revise my statement.

I havent been around Hondas in a while, but didnt one of the tuner companies build one that reved to like 17k or somewhere around there?
DakianDelomast
The highest that *I* have heard was 12000 rpm off of a spoon motor.
imisplacedmine
QUOTE(Mitlov @ May 23 2006, 05:07 AM) *
And it's a Honda, so you know it will be there for you when you need it.

That might be nice, but that's not cool.
trail_boss2
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ May 24 2006, 12:38 AM) *
The highest that *I* have heard was 12000 rpm off of a spoon motor.

Thats probably it which is still pretty damn high for a 4 cylinder.
Mitlov
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ May 23 2006, 09:09 PM) *
I revise my statement.

So you don't think the S2000 is cool at all? Anyway, glad for the clarification, because I just noticed something I found a bit funny:

QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ May 23 2006, 06:52 AM) *
Hondas can not be cool.

QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Jul 28 2004, 12:03 PM) *
Also I expect a lot of maturity from this forum. LOL FORD. or LOL HONDA SUX will not be appreciated on this forum.
DakianDelomast
What reference are you making to my maturity? Hondas are not cool cars. This is an objective and factual statement. That's like trying to call a new toyota cool. Its just not going to happen.
Mitlov
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ May 23 2006, 11:43 PM) *
What reference are you making to my maturity? Hondas are not cool cars.

I just don't see how "lol Honda sux" is inherently different than "Hondas cannot be cool." The grammar is better but that's it. And you yourself said that you wouldn't tolerate comments like the former.
This is an objective and factual statement.

"Coolness" is neither an objective nor a factual issue. It can't be measured like curb weight or horsepower. Coolness, like beauty, is purely in the eye of the beholder.
DakianDelomast
You have to realize how biased these words sound coming from the fingers of someone with the title "Likes boring cars". You have personally barred yourself from ever being any respectable authority on cool within these forums because of who you are.

You talk about BORING and UNCOOL stuff. "Omg what about safety." "Wow look at the economy figures on this vehicle." "I think this is a fine vehicle and will fufill its target niche with ease." I swear to god I need a pillow sometimes when I'm reading your posts. Face it guy, you're not a cool person. Fact of the matter is, if I could, I'd nullify your votes on the cool wall. But I don't have that power, and well, I don't *really* care that much.
Mitlov
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ May 23 2006, 11:50 PM) *
You have to realize how biased these words sound coming from the fingers of someone with the title "Likes boring cars". You have personally barred yourself from ever being any respectable authority on cool within these forums because of who you are.

You talk about BORING and UNCOOL stuff. "Omg what about safety." "Wow look at the economy figures on this vehicle." "I think this is a fine vehicle and will fufill its target niche with ease." I swear to god I need a pillow sometimes when I'm reading your posts. Face it guy, you're not a cool person. Fact of the matter is, if I could, I'd nullify your votes on the cool wall. But I don't have that power, and well, I don't *really* care that much.

Whether or not you have the same tastes as me is totally irrelevant. Though I'm sure you could just use the "ignore" function if my posts are that painful to you. EDIT: In case you missed the point, it's not my subjective take on the Civic Si that's the issue. You yourself, as a moderator, made a rule that you can't just make stupid statements like "Honda sucks" on the cool wall. Yet here you are, in this thread, making that exact same statement. Do moderators not have to follow their own rules?

And to re-emphasize: "coolness" is subjective. It is NOT an objective or factual issue. No amount of bitching, name-calling, or penis-waving can change this.
trail_boss2
If you think the statement "Hondas are not cool cars" is a fact you're probably going to need a shovel to get your head out of your ass. Besides, weather somthing is cool or not is completly opinion in MOST cases. If everything was just cool or uncool and that was just the way it is then there wouldnt even be a cool wall. This is probably one of the most retarded discussions I have ever seen on the internet.
DakianDelomast
The sooner you come to terms with your own lack of cool, the better off you will be.
clarkma5
QUOTE(trail_boss2 @ May 24 2006, 12:14 AM) *
This is probably one of the most retarded discussions I have ever seen on the internet.

Second.
DakianDelomast
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ May 24 2006, 03:37 AM) *
Second.

I've seen worse when DZ302 was involved.
fiber optic
Uncool. Needs more torque and a less pudgy exterior.
infinity
Frozen.

200hp for 20k. 6-speed manual. Better than average looks inside and out. Honda reliability and quality. Can't beat that.

Only part I don't like: VTEC symbol on the side (not hard to get rid of, of course)
Keitero-sama
Frozen - RSX type S performance for RSX price. smile.gif
Mr b00st
Frozen for interior design and screaming K20 and quality.
350Z
I don't think Honda's are cool, Honda engines on the other hand are very cool.
tune
This thing looks disgusting. Honda F1 are bad enough to give Honda an uncool reputation, but they can't help themsleves with this. The regular Civic was designed to make young people more interested in it. Take the wing off this, add hubcaps and you're right back to square one, with the average driver age of this set at 55.
Mitlov
QUOTE(tune @ May 31 2006, 06:05 AM) *
The regular Civic was designed to make young people more interested in it. Take the wing off this, add hubcaps and you're right back to square one, with the average driver age of this set at 55.

The average 55-year-old Civic driver wants an 8000 rpm redline, 43% more hp than other Civics, and a six-speed manual?
trail_boss2
Im not saying that the average driver age of 55 is wrong, but I really find it quite hard to believe.
DakianDelomast
Hondas have a different stigma in Britain.

They're like our Buicks are here.
trail_boss2
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Jun 1 2006, 07:18 PM) *

Oh, that makes a little more sense then.
Mitlov
QUOTE(trail_boss2 @ Jun 1 2006, 04:31 PM) *
Oh, that makes a little more sense then.

Yeah, I was confused too--because at least here in the States, the Civic is a college kid's car. Particularly a Civic coupe.
dukenukem
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Jun 1 2006, 06:18 PM) *

And most people here have a severe case of Jeremy Clarkson.
clarkma5
I think Hondas are America's Buicks too tongue.gif
Phix
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jun 1 2006, 11:37 PM) *

Tell that to the "cool kidz!"

OPH OH MY CIVIC DX CAN KILL A CAMARO OFF TYHE LINE CAUSE IT'S SO LIGHT WEIGHT....

Yeah.... sure.
Mitlov
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jun 1 2006, 08:37 PM) *

See, that doesn't even make enough sense to be funny. What precisely in Buick's lineup is the match-up to the Civic Si that this thread is about? Or the S2000? Or the NSX? Hell, Honda-Acura doesn't even MAKE a large sedan. The biggest cars in their line-up are things like the Accord V6 6MT and the RL, both of which are midsize and neither of which are sedate.

I'm not saying that Honda makes the sportiest cars on the planet, but Hondas are probably sportier than average for non-luxury cars. And the Civic Si itself? I've read several "new Si vs new GTI" shootouts, and while the GTI has won them all, it's not because it's sportier. R&T and MT (if my memory serve me) both agreed that the Si was the sportier car; the GTI was just the better all-rounder.
leif
I know I'm kinda late to the party, but IMO, near as makes no difference 200BHP, neat looking coupe body, affordable price tag...its a cool car.
Phix
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Jun 4 2006, 04:16 AM) *
See, that doesn't even make enough sense to be funny. What precisely in Buick's lineup is the match-up to the Civic Si that this thread is about? Or the S2000? Or the NSX? Hell, Honda-Acura doesn't even MAKE a large sedan. The biggest cars in their line-up are things like the Accord V6 6MT and the RL, both of which are midsize and neither of which are sedate.

I'm not saying that Honda makes the sportiest cars on the planet, but Hondas are probably sportier than average for non-luxury cars. And the Civic Si itself? I've read several "new Si vs new GTI" shootouts, and while the GTI has won them all, it's not because it's sportier. R&T and MT (if my memory serve me) both agreed that the Si was the sportier car; the GTI was just the better all-rounder.

He was talking about the stigma of Honda trying to add a North American perspective to it. He didn't mean any single car in their lineup.

Buicks have the stigma of being a retire-ees premium choice... next to Cadillac. It's pretty true since the majority of Buicks I see are all being driven by the rather elderly. Honda has that same stigma over in the UK since they don't exactly have the inconveinece of having North America's "finest" readily available for them so they tend to buy Honda Civics and Accords.
Mitlov
QUOTE(Phix @ Jun 4 2006, 11:54 AM) *
He was talking about the stigma of Honda trying to add a North American perspective to it. He didn't mean any single car in their lineup.

Buicks have the stigma of being a retire-ees premium choice... next to Cadillac. It's pretty true since the majority of Buicks I see are all being driven by the rather elderly. Honda has that same stigma over in the UK since they don't exactly have the inconveinece of having North America's "finest" readily available for them so they tend to buy Honda Civics and Accords.

I never disagreed about the UK part, just the "I think Hondas are America's Buicks too."

If you're talking about societal stigma instead of model lineup, that statement is just as nonsensical. Once again, it doesn't even make enough sense to be funny. The Civic Si is a boy racer car. 18-year-olds listening to Sean Paul are their primary purchasers. There is NO such "retiree car" societal stigma about Honda in the US. I'm sure a few old people drive Civic coupes, but the same is true of Golfs and Imprezas. The fact is, all of those cars are primarily owned by teenagers and twenty-somethings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.