3.5 liter V6
306 hp
277 ft-lbs
RWD
6-speed automatic with paddle shifters
21mpg city, 28mpg highway
0-60 in 5.3 seconds.
1/4 mile in 14.2 seconds.

The IS350 shows some promise. Lexus did a number of things right. The engine is nothing to poo-poo. Neither is the interior quality, the handling, or the reputation for excellent customer service. The respectable fuel economy (just 1mpg worse than my Legacy 2.5i) and Lexus's excellent reputation for reliability also make it a good daily driver.

But Lexus also completely f---ed up a few details. First, no manual transmission is available. While paddle shifters are nice, are they really a substitute for a clutch pedal and a stick? Second, there's no switch to deactivate the traction control. It CAN be deactivated upon start-up with a "cheat code" reminiscent of Nintendo cheat codes (you repeatedly push the brake pedal and parking brake in a certain sequence). But that's no substitute for a single button you could push while driving. Finally, it's very small inside, even for a compact luxury sedan. The rear seat is really for children only.

As for the styling, that's completely subjective. It's probably the best example of L-Finesse yet, though whether or not that's a good thing is in the eye of the beholder.

So how do you rank it on the cool wall?

moe
Frozen. I think it's gorgeous both inside and out. One of the best-looking sedans on sale. It drives pretty well from what I've read, and comes standard with an excellent ownership experience (service quality, build quality, and reliability).
PBB
The gorgeous exterior styling won me over until I looked at the specs. As a driver's car, only the engine deserves merit. Uncool.
Mitlov
Cool. The three shortcomings I listed annoy me (mostly the lack of a manual), but the excellent engine, the gorgeous exterior, the quality interior, and the respectable handling reviews make it a cool for me.
DakianDelomast
One of the most uncool cars on the market today.

It looks like a camry.
It has a V6.
And its a Lexus.
leif
its not cool...it is how ever a good car.

if they make a "sport" version, ala the IS300 sport, that will be cool.

As for the lack of a manual...only Automotive Journalists and people who will never own one of these bitch about it not having a manual...I would be surprised if Toyota follows the same path it did with the frist IS and offer a manual.

and for the record, Lederhosen are very cool...you gots to have balls to wear leather shorts.
Mitlov
QUOTE(leif @ May 20 2006, 12:02 AM) *
As for the lack of a manual...only Automotive Journalists and people who will never own one of these bitch about it not having a manual...I would be surprised if Toyota follows the same path it did with the frist IS and offer a manual.

Well, the IS250 has a six-speed manual; it's only the IS350 that's auto-only. Hopefully Lexus will realize that the 350 deserves a manual more than the 250, not less (it is, after all, supposedly aimed squarely at driving enthusiasts).
tune
It's ok, but I find it a bit yawnworthy, which considering it's quite new, is pretty lame.
Asher
I said cool.
Not my first choice in the category, but still a great car with enough power and looks to be considered.
Dough
does it still have 50/50 weigh distro like the is300? But its wicked anyways!
Mitlov
QUOTE(Dough @ May 21 2006, 06:44 PM) *
does it still have 50/50 weigh distro like the is300? But its wicked anyways!

Different websites claim it's somewhere between 52% and 54% for the front.
clarkma5
Can you say: automatic only and undefeatable traction control? No self-respecting sports sedan has those things. It's just a car from a company that only understands numbers and figures and not soul and character.

MJU.
Halflifehavock13
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ May 22 2006, 04:39 PM) *
Can you say: automatic only and undefeatable traction control? No self-respecting sports sedan has those things. It's just a car from a company that only understands numbers and figures and not soul and character.

MJU.

Agreed.

If both the whole auto-only thing where changed and tractioncontrol changed, then it would get a cool vote from me.
dukenukem
its the most nannying car out there .. its everything but a drivers car ... Extremely uncool.
z0ne
Uncool.
Cyclone
Uncool. It's a Lexus which great performance which is completely overlooked because the only people who will buy this car are people who cant afford BMW's and won't expoit the perfomance this car offers. It's a "I need to look good while going to the store" car.
Keitero-sama
Cool, but not frozen due to a number of things. A lack of a manual for a flappy paddle auto, no button for the traction control, and at the end of the day, its a Lexus (or an overpriced Toyota).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.