Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chrysler PT Cruiser
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Seriously Uncool
Pinecone
This piece of crap is a disgrace to automotive design. From 20 grand you get a dinky little 150 HP 2.4 Liter engine. Not only that, your knees get red marks from being pushed hard against the cheap plastic interior that the Americans call "Luxury". The curves make me want to puke, and everything in it is like a nightmare. I bet it handles like a horse and carriage, just like the design was based on. It doesnt grow on people, people buy it because they feel sorry for this abomination.

PBB
How about you post some real specs and save your silly unfounded bashing for the first reply? Making this thread already in the very uncool section wasn't funny either.

World Cup for me. I love the styling, it's 30's panel van meets station wagon, this new facelifted version looks even better. True, it's not particularly powerful nor sporty but for a cheap economy wagon, it's a contender.
CRiZO
I love how it was written by somebody that admits to never have driven one (probably meaning they've never been in one)
Phix
I hated it at first but it did kind of grow on me. First time I ever saw one I thought it was the ugliest piece of shit ever. Now it's pretty average... maybe I've gotten used to them. Still, the convertible is about a billion times uglier. :o

I'm not going to vote since I've never actually been in one and only seen them from the outside.
CRiZO
I heard the turbo version moves pretty good *shrug* I mean its like a 2.3 liter turbo or something, I don't see how it wouldn't.
Phix
QUOTE(CRiZO @ May 17 2006, 12:04 AM) *
I heard the turbo version moves pretty good *shrug* I mean its like a 2.3 liter turbo or something, I don't see how it wouldn't.

Well, it's 3101lbs. Add in a person and a full tank of gas as well as any other "luxuries" and 220hp and 245ft/lb doesn't seem that impressive anymore.
trail_boss2
I fucking hate this car. My girlfriends brother had one up unil about 2 weeks ago, they traded it in for that newest ugly Dodge whatever its called.

Anyways, Ive ridden in it and was offered to drive it but I didnt even have an ounce of urge to drive this piece. From the outside, my impression is a disgusting failure of what seems to be an attempt at either a stylish station wagon or a stylish retro style car. From the outside the car looks like you may have quite a bit of room to move around inside and be comfortable. Not the case, as you are inside the car you are cramped, no matter what seat or position you are in. The interior styling sucks a mexicans balls dribbled in mustard (I fucking hate mustard). The controls are set up like shit and its ugly as the rest of the mobile turd. Its slow, dog fucking slow. I really feel that my 4 cyl auto tranny ford ranger could beat it in a race. The turbo model Im not sure about but I still coudnt expect much.

edit: oh and after looking at the pics above I was reminded about the worst thing of the entire car. THAT FUCKING SHIFTER/KNOB PISSES ME OFF SO FUCKING BAD. Whoever put that fucking thing in there should be beat with the ball end of it.
Phix
QUOTE(trail_boss2 @ May 17 2006, 01:02 AM) *
I fucking hate this car. My girlfriends brother had one up unil about 2 weeks ago, they traded it in for that newest ugly Dodge whatever its called.

Anyways, Ive ridden in it and was offered to drive it but I didnt even have an ounce of urge to drive this piece. From the outside, my impression is a disgusting failure of what seems to be an attempt at either a stylish station wagon or a stylish retro style car. From the outside the car looks like you may have quite a bit of room to move around inside and be comfortable. Not the case, as you are inside the car you are cramped, no matter what seat or position you are in. The interior styling sucks a mexicans balls dribbled in mustard (I fucking hate mustard). The controls are set up like shit and its ugly as the rest of the mobile turd. Its slow, dog fucking slow. I really feel that my 4 cyl auto tranny ford ranger could beat it in a race. The turbo model Im not sure about but I still coudnt expect much.
edit: oh and after looking at the pics above I was reminded about the worst thing of the entire car. THAT FUCKING SHIFTER/KNOB PISSES ME OFF SO FUCKING BAD. Whoever put that fucking thing in there should be beat with the ball end of it.

You hate mustard... you HATE MUSTARD?! WHATK IND OF DEMETNED SICK IDIOT ARE YOU?! YOU FREAK!

Honey mustard is pretty tasty. biggrin.gif

Also, I agree with the shifter.
trail_boss2
lol I dunno what it is but the sight of mustard makes me sick, the smell bleh the taste double whammy bleh
Phix
QUOTE(trail_boss2 @ May 17 2006, 01:30 AM) *
lol I dunno what it is but the sight of mustard makes me sick, the smell bleh the taste double whammy bleh

Well, dijon mustard is pretty freaking nasty. But the normal yellow mustard and honey mustard are very tasty.
Cyclone
Probably the most boring car ever made. I seriously don't notice them on the road unless it's some asshole driving it with flame stickers or something. My dad likes this car, nuff said.
Mitlov
Nice objective write-up there. I especially like your comments about what "the Americans" would think. Classy. [/sarcasm]

Anyway, I give this car a cool. I personally don't really like it's style, but it's a compact five-door with an available turbocharged engine, and that's cool. And the fact that they did something radically different with the styling is cool. It's "love it or hate it," and while it's not my personal favorite, I respect that DCX went out on a limb with this one. And a lot of people do really like it.

Like the original poster, I haven't driven one and don't know how it handles. Unlike the original poster, I didn't factor in baseless assumptions about it's handling into my decision.
Cyclone
QUOTE(Mitlov @ May 17 2006, 03:15 AM) *
Nice objective write-up there. I especially like your comments about what "the Americans" would think. Classy. [/sarcasm]

Anyway, I give this car a cool. I personally don't really like it's style, but it's a compact five-door with an available turbocharged engine, and that's cool. And the fact that they did something radically different with the styling is cool. It's "love it or hate it," and while it's not my personal favorite, I respect that DCX went out on a limb with this one. And a lot of people do really like it.

Like the original poster, I haven't driven one and don't know how it handles. Unlike the original poster, I didn't factor in baseless assumptions about it's handling into my decision.

You know posts like these really make you look like a complete asshole.
PBB
How's that? The way pinecone presented this car was completely assinine and making the thread in already in the "Disgustingly Uncool" section was complete bullshit.
adman31
I have always hated it because it looks like a Hearse.
Mitlov
QUOTE(Cyclone @ May 17 2006, 03:28 AM) *
You know posts like these really make you look like a complete asshole.

Why? Because I called out Pinecone for not providing ANY objective information on the car, instead just ranting about it? Or for saying asinine things like "the cheap plastic interior that the Americans call "Luxury""? Since when did anyone claim this was a luxury car? It starts at $15,125 (not $20k as the original poster claimed). No one pretends that a $15k car is a luxury car. And I have no idea what the whole "the Americans" thing is about.

Am I an asshole for calling him out for making claims about the handling, when he's never driven one himself and he's not citing to any road test of one? If that's not a "baseless assumption," tell me what is.

Or am I a complete asshole because I like turbocharged five-doors?

Or am I a complete asshole because I applauded them for doing something radically different style-wise?

Or am I a complete asshole for pointing out the uncontestible fact that this car DOES have a fan base? Sure, that fan base is generally middle-aged and lives in places like Missouri and New Jersey. But Pinecone's assertion that nobody actually likes this car--that they just buy it out of pity--is absurd.

Tell me what about my post makes me a complete asshole.
Mitlov
QUOTE(Phix @ May 16 2006, 09:06 PM) *
Well, it's 3101lbs. Add in a person and a full tank of gas as well as any other "luxuries" and 220hp and 245ft/lb doesn't seem that impressive anymore.

The PT Cruiser GT actually makes 230hp and 245 ft-lbs, and weighs 3471 lbs. For comparison:

The WRX wagon makes 230hp, 235 ft-lbs, and weighs 3252 lbs (3294 with the Limited package).
The A3 makes 200hp, 207 ft-lbs, and weighs 3263 lbs.

The PT Cruiser GT doesn't set any new records for power-to-weight ratio, but I don't think it embarasses itself either in the market of sporty five-door family haulers. It certainly knocks the socks off cars like the Matrix XRS.
Cyclone
QUOTE(Mitlov @ May 17 2006, 05:03 PM) *
Why? Because I called out Pinecone for not providing ANY objective information on the car, instead just ranting about it? Or for saying asinine things like "the cheap plastic interior that the Americans call "Luxury""? Since when did anyone claim this was a luxury car? It starts at $15,125 (not $20k as the original poster claimed). No one pretends that a $15k car is a luxury car. And I have no idea what the whole "the Americans" thing is about.

Am I an asshole for calling him out for making claims about the handling, when he's never driven one himself and he's not citing to any road test of one? If that's not a "baseless assumption," tell me what is.

Or am I a complete asshole because I like turbocharged five-doors?

Or am I a complete asshole because I applauded them for doing something radically different style-wise?

Or am I a complete asshole for pointing out the uncontestible fact that this car DOES have a fan base? Sure, that fan base is generally middle-aged and lives in places like Missouri and New Jersey. But Pinecone's assertion that nobody actually likes this car--that they just buy it out of pity--is absurd.

Tell me what about my post makes me a complete asshole.

You're just proving my point with this post.
TexanBerettaGT
I've never driven, or ridden in one of these, but I think I may go test drive one. Not that I would buy one, but for the experience. It's not a regular car, and for that it should get some compensation. Its semi sporty looking, reminds me of the old Surfer wagons, especially with the wood trim package. From what I've heard they run high 15's, low 16's if memory serves, not quick by anymeans, but respectable for a four door.
Dr. Strangelove
When it first came out I hated it. Then it grew on me. Now that I am a valet and I drive one everyday, I hate it again. The turbo is the most overpowered car ever. Let me explain. That much power going through an automatic transmission, to one front wheel, being held into place by a suspension that is that soft, in a car that is that heavy = a bad car. I gave the car an uncool.

Oh and BTW World cup is way cooler then Stanley (<correct spelling) cup.
moe
At a time in the US where there were very few family cars with character, there was the PT Cruiser. It gets points for being different. It also handled...okay, I guess (non-turbo). These days it's far behind the competition, but I sitll like the way it looks. When it's customized they can look damned cool.
fiber optic
My father-in-law built a street rod from a '36 Chevrolet. Well he was at Sonic (drive-in restaurant) with his son and the woman next to them said something like "That's a cool PT Cruiser". His son went off on the woman for being so dumb.

'36 Chevrolet Humpback Street Rod

This one isn't his but you get the idea. Also, his wasn't chopped.
DakianDelomast
Heh wow this seems to have turned into quite the shitfest. I guess this is what happens when you don't have internet for a week...
NorthPoint
This car is only owned by old people and wankers. Pathetic piece of junk.
girl and etc
the first time i saw a PT cruiser, i was like, "OMGWTFBBQ, it's like somebody crossed a hearse with a VW bug, and it had a really UGLY lovechild." i still think this.

STUPIDEST CAR EVER.
Mr b00st
well, i guess here's where i step in and give a QUALIFIED statement as someone who's owned a PT Cruiser for four years and 52,000 miles. (Well, ok, it's my mum's. I wouldn't own one. Keep reading)

This is a GREAT car. If you judge it for what it is.

If you drive it like a sports car, you'll bitch and moan and be disappointed. the steering sucks (no feel, it's sort of loose and overboosted), the brakes suck (not very linear, not very powerful). Ours is a loaded non-turbo automatic, so it's slow as shit. The engine is course, has no top end, and doesn't sound very nice. What i'm saying is, from an enthusiast perspective (people who like to actually drive) this car is just no fun.

For the good? Everything else. It's been utterly reliable for four years and 50k+ miles, which is rare these days. The only problem was the power steering pump was replaced under a factory recall, and the install was done incorrectly and the hose came loose. No breakdowns in 50k+ non exactly gentle miles.

It's SO useful. We once had two peoples luggage, two bikes, a shitload of furniture, and other crap in it on the way from Virginia to Raleigh. Huge amount of room. The seats are easy to use (the back ones that is - the smaller one can be removed in about 30s time) And you can put a bike in it standing up with the front wheel off the fork - which is nice. It's got a great ride on the highway - not nervous, not wandery, but not pillowy either. Just ride. Fuel economy could be better.

We've really enjoyed owning ours. Which is totally different from enjoying driving it. But again, it's not my car - so the fact that it's a total dog to drive doesn't bother me.

I rate it Cool for being exceedingly good at what it does. Which is my standard of judgement.
Pinecone
Boost, you have owned me. I congradulate you for helping me broaden my vision.
DakianDelomast
I think it'd be cool with a SRT-4 powerplant, chopped top, and some big allies. Its kind of a neat pseudo-hot rod.
Mr b00st
...holy crap.
tune
Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible.
z0ne
I'm surprised that this link wasn't posted in this thread.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/twin+t...25C278AF570.htm

Other than that, thumbs_down.gif to this.
Phix
QUOTE(z0ne @ May 31 2006, 01:44 PM) *
I'm surprised that this link wasn't posted in this thread.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/twin+t...25C278AF570.htm

Other than that, thumbs_down.gif to this.

I already posted this in Alt.Binaries.
z0ne
I know. But, that thread wasn't dedicated to PT Cruisers, now was it? tongue_crossed-eyes.gif
Phix
QUOTE(z0ne @ May 31 2006, 08:48 PM) *
I know. But, that thread wasn't dedicated to PT Cruisers, now was it? tongue_crossed-eyes.gif

You know what? What it comes down to is that guy in that video is just so incredibly superior than all of us combined.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.