Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buick Grand National GNX
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Frozen
Dr. Strangelove
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/54/Buick-Grand-National-[/img]
From Wikipedia
T-Type Regal coupes, aimed at the performance market, appeared at this time, but the real news came in 1982, when the Regal Grand National appeared. Named for the NASCAR Grand National racing series, this car incorporated a 4.1 litre V6 with 125 hp or an optional 180 hp turbocharged 3.8 V6. It also featured T-tops, front and rear spoilers, a striking gray and silver paint job with a matching interor. There was no Grand National in 1983, but it returned in 1984 wrapped in its familiar all black paint. The turbocharged 3.8 became standard and would continue to be refined with fuel injection and intercooling. In 1987 it reached 245 hp (182 kW).

1987 also offered a lightweight WE4 (Turbo T) option which is extremely rare today. Only 1,547 of this variant were produced. The only differences between a WE4 and the base Grand National were interior trim package, rims, exterior badging, and aluminum bumper mounts. The rear spoiler was only available as a dealer installed option.

By 1985, the Grand National was acquiring a reputation as modern muscle car, but the days of the G-body were numbered. For the final year, 1987, Buick introduced the GNX at a US$11,000 premium. Produced by McLaren/ASC, Buick under-rated the GNX at 275 hp and a very substantial 360 lbf-ft (488 N·m) of torque. This was created so as to be "Grand National to end all Grand Nationals," as the next model year converted the chassis to front wheel drive, which, Buick engineers admitted, simply wouldn't be able to put down that much power. Changes made included a special Garrett ceramic-impeller turbocharger connected by a ceramic-coated pipe to a better intercooler. A special computer chip, low-restriction exhaust, and reprogrammed Turbo Hydramatic 200-4R transmission with a custom torque converter and transmission fluid cooler completed the drivetrain modifications. Exterior styling changes include vents located on each front fender, 16 in black mesh style wheels with VR speed rated tires, and deletion of the hood and fender emblems. The interior changes of the GNX included a serial number on the dash plaque and a revised instrument cluster providing analog Stewart-Warner gages including an analog turbo boost gauge.

The acceleration performance of the GNX outpaced the factory's power claims: 0-60 mph (97 km/h) took just 4.7 s with a 13.4 s/104 mph (167 km/h) quarter-mile. According to contemporary sources, these numbers made the GNX the fastest production sedan ever built. This claim is somewhat controversial—the car had two doors but its interior volume and structure made it a sedan rather than a coupé, and just 547 examples were built. GNX #001 is currently owned by Buick and sometimes makes appearances at car shows around the US. Although many quicker cars have been built, including a number of quicker modern sedans, its performance was truly impressive for the time. A contemporary Porsche 930 hit 60 mph in 5.0 seconds and ran the quarter mile in 13.6, roughly equivalent to the GNX, which cost much less and could out-accelerate the naturally-aspirated 911 of the day. The muscle cars of the 1960s had the power to beat the GNX, but the tires of the time could not transform this into speed, not to mention the numerous techniques employed in the GNX allowed the car to transfer all the power to the ground, such as a ladder bar that ran from the mid-section of the car to the rear axle, so as to increase traction. This is also the reason why a GNX will actually lift the rear end up when the car is about to launch heavily. The GNX never made much of a road-track competitor to cars like the 911, but it could certainly hold its own on a drag strip.

Famously painted in all black, the Grand National and GNX were ferocious drag strip competitors and are highly collectible today. The sinister, stealthy appearance coupled with the fact that the Grand National was initially released during the height of Star Wars fever earned it the title Darth Vader Car. The Grand National returned briefly to the headlines in 2003, when actor Sean Penn's car was stolen with several guns inside.

To clarify we are talking about the GNX
Halflifehavock13
Godlike!
Phix
Meh.
Boxster17
Frozen for me, I think it's so badass looking.
PBB
This car is the epitome of badass, the Grim Reaper drives one.
Mitlov
QUOTE(PBB @ May 9 2006, 03:26 PM) *
This car is the epitome of badass, the Grim Reaper drives one.

Nicely put. Frozen for me.
PAULIE_D
Ice cold. And the pic you posted is a "regular" GN, not a GNX.

Here is the GNX:

PBB
QUOTE(Mitlov @ May 9 2006, 07:42 PM) *
Nicely put. Frozen for me.

Inspiration here:

"I've always dreaded lining up with one these at a light for fear that the Grim Reaper himself would roll down the window and ask if I'm up to run. These cars spook the hell out of me."

- Quoted from a 460RWHP 02' Camaro SS owner talking about the GN
fiber optic
Frozen
midnightdorifto
0 kelvin.
moe
"I've always dreaded lining up with one these at a light for fear that the Grim Reaper himself would roll down the window and ask if I'm up to run. These cars spook the hell out of me."

- Quoted from a 460RWHP 02' Camaro SS owner talking about the GN

Oh hell yeah. I love it. firedevil.gif
Benny
xfrozenx
DakianDelomast
Its cool, no doubt about it. But is it frozen? Must ponder.
BurningSky
Cool, just because it's such a muscle car beast, but not frozen. Manufacturers forgot how to design bodies in the '80s.
dukenukem
SEXAY !!!!
UserDrew
It's nice. I give it a cool vote becuase it's a beats and looks alright, but something about it being an 80s buick kept me from giving it a frozen vote.
Mr b00st
Frozen, the ultimate of cool, cars do not get cooler than Grand National GNX.

It's the ultimate sleeper of all time. It looks like trash and accelerates like a SAM. It's SO sinister.
tune
Cool, because it's black, any other colour and it slips to uncool.
tapd
Really Super Cool, black is badass!

I want one!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.