Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Volvo 244
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Cool
Cyclone
In August 1974, Volvo presented a new generation of cars called the 240 and 260 Series.

These new models had been developed from the 140 series and were very similar to their predecessors. The changes included a new front, large bumpers and a developed chassis, featuring a front-wheel suspension system of the McPherson type.

In connection with the introduction of the 240 family, a new 4-cylinder engine family with an overhead camshaft began to be used. The previous 4-cylinder was still used for a time.

For a short period, the Volvo 244 could also be specified with a V6 engine. A popular alternative on some markets made its appearance in 1978 - the market's first 6-cylinder diesel in a passenger car.

The new 240/260 car family had been developed with rigorous safety requirements. They were, in fact, so rigorous that the car was used as the standard car for safety developments by the authorities in the USA.

Volvo's 240 model almost became a classic in its own lifetime as it was produced for nearly 20 years. On two occasions, the car was given a facelift, for the 1981 and 1986 model years. In all, more than 2.8 million cars in the 240/260 series were built.

Technical facts:

Prod. years: 1974-93
Prod. volume: 1,483,399
Body style: 4-door saloon
Engine: 4-cylinder, in-line OHV, 4-cylinder, in-line OHC, 4-cylinder, in-line OHC with turbocharging. V6 OHC and 6-cylinder, in-line OHC diesel.
Transmission: 4-speed manual, 4-speed manual with electrical overdrive, 5-speed manual or 3-speed or 4-speed automatic.
Brakes: Hydraulic, disc brakes on all four wheels.
Dimensions: Overall length 490 cm/198", wheelbase 264 cm/104".

DakianDelomast
Turbo and RWD volvos have been and will always be cool.
Phix
How much do they weigh?
clarkma5
QUOTE(Phix @ Mar 21 2006, 07:16 PM) *
How much do they weigh?

1290 kg (2840 pounds) for a 1989 US-spec 240 with a full tank of gas and no driver.
Keitero-sama
Sleeper in the making. thumbs_up.gif
clarkma5
As for me, when I see an old beat-up Volvo I don't think OMG cool. Ok, they're cheap, they're RWD, and the turbos have some good power potential, but that's really all they have...potential. I can't call a car cool because it might become cool one day if somebody throws enough money at it...sooo uncool.
Jordan
might i add that the first one is the very rare 1985 Turbo.

i think they are great. easy to work on so therefore great for beginners like me. cheap, parts are easily available, runs forever. i will vote cool.
moe
I voted "Melted DQ Blizzard Uncool" by accident, I meant to hit the cool button...can someone change that? Yeah RWD, and the aerodynamic properties of a brick...definately cool...
clarkma5
Changed for ya, moe...
PBB
Eh, overall, it's cool.

I voted Frozen just because to counterbalance Cyclone's assinine MJU vote. tongue_crossed-eyes.gif
Jordan
cyclone just doesnt like cause he doesnt like me because i made fun of his VW clay...thing.
90% of the forum
QUOTE(Jordan @ Mar 22 2006, 10:15 AM) *
cyclone just doesnt like cause he doesnt like me because i made fun of his VW clay...thing.

<-- Still doesn't care.
Mitlov
Frozen. I love these cars.
DZ302
uncool.
Cyclone
QUOTE(Jordan @ Mar 22 2006, 01:15 PM) *

No, I just don't like you period and I wish you would of left. Sad I unbanned you when you decided you wanted to leave and then wanted to come back. Sorry folks, it's all my fault.
Espen
About as sexy as kitchen furniture and as exciting as watching grass rustle in the wind tongue.gif
midnightdorifto
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Mar 24 2006, 01:47 AM) *
No, I just don't like you period and I wish you would of left. Sad I unbanned you when you decided you wanted to leave and then wanted to come back. Sorry folks, it's all my fault.

Game, set, and match.
z0ne
QUOTE(Jordan @ Mar 22 2006, 01:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Cyclone @ Mar 24 2006, 04:47 AM) *

can't we all just get along? angel.gif let's stop the bickering .. we all know what arguing over the internet is worth ..

and, i voted cool thumbs_up.gif
DakianDelomast
Ha ha cyclone's face = owned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.