Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VW GTI MKV
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Cool
b0mb3r
Since I just bought one, I am curious to see what the rest of you think.

200HP @ 5100 - 6000Rpms, 207lbs-ft torque @ 1800 - 5000rpms
Curb weight ~ 3300lbs
0-60 in 7.1s (with manual 6.9 with DSG)

Not sure if that adds to "coolness" but they are being made in Germany for the time being.
clarkma5
nnnrrrrggghhhhh this is hard.

It's a sharp drive, but its hefty curb weight (which is actually 3178 pounds for the basic 6-speed model, FYI) and blobtastic styling makes me just wanna call it uncool. Plus it's getting more praise than it really deserves.

Also it seems to me that with the MkV cars VW has lost a lot of that mini-BMW look and feel that people were drawn to so much with the MkIV cars, even if the MkV cars are technically superior.
DZ302
cool, barely
dukenukem
Clarkson loves it , hence your wife has gential herpes uncool.
green73ta
I like it, particularly in white. That red stripe on the grille does it for me. I bet it looks good in black too. Red... not so much.

I vote cool.
b0mb3r
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Mar 13 2006, 05:01 PM) *
Clarkson loves it , hence your wife has gential herpes uncool.

Clarkson is man, I wish I could drive a car like him :-)
PAULIE_D
Tough call.. But it gets a cool vote from me, mainly for it's engine. But I still think it does not look like a proper VW. And it's too heavy.
DakianDelomast
Its a VW and VWs are generally uncool. Especially the hatchbacks.
Windshield
I like the commercials for it so much I'm giving it an ice cold.
Cyclone
It's cool. I love it in white heart.gif
Phix
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Mar 13 2006, 09:32 PM) *
It's cool. I love it in white heart.gif

You damn right.
DakianDelomast
It looks like a marshmellow in white!
clarkma5
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Mar 13 2006, 05:54 PM) *
Its a VW and VWs are generally uncool. Especially the hatchbacks.

Well, it depends on who you're asking (aka ultra enthusiast versus clueless passer-by), but VWs are considered cool by a large portion of the hard-to-reach late teen/early adult crowd.
DakianDelomast
Who are generally people that are NOT cool.
dukenukem
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 13 2006, 09:17 PM) *
Well, it depends on who you're asking (aka ultra enthusiast versus clueless passer-by), but VWs are considered cool by a large portion of the hard-to-reach late teen/early adult crowd.

So according to VW fanbois it is cool as opposed to a non biased individual ?
clarkma5
Fanboys tend to think the objects of their affection are cool no matter what...that's kinda how you define a fanboy.
moe
Frozen, because I'd buy one if I had the money.
Mitlov
It was a tough call between cool and uncool. Cool for being possibly the best hot hatch for sale on the US market right now. But uncool for its utterly uninspired exterior styling and retina-damaging plaid seats. It's a tough call.

I just voted "uncool," but I think I'm gonna go with "cool." It was a tough call though. Could a moderator move one vote from uncool to cool?
clarkma5
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Mar 14 2006, 01:13 AM) *
It was a tough call between cool and uncool. Cool for being possibly the best hot hatch for sale on the US market right now. But uncool for its utterly uninspired exterior styling and retina-damaging plaid seats. It's a tough call.

I just voted "uncool," but I think I'm gonna go with "cool." It was a tough call though. Could a moderator move one vote from uncool to cool?

Moved the vote for you.

And god, I think the plaid seats are awesomely cool, though the quality of the cloth material itself is eh.
dukenukem
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 14 2006, 12:57 AM) *
Fanboys tend to think the objects of their affection are cool no matter what...that's kinda how you define a fanboy.

you are a fanboy and your opinion isnt all peaches and whatever else about it.
Si_GTi
Its cool. In black with black leather and with the UK-spec 18" alloys it'd be really desirable IMHO. I love it biggrin.gif
clarkma5
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Mar 14 2006, 05:12 AM) *
you are a fanboy and your opinion isnt all peaches and whatever else about it.

Then I must not be a fanboy for this car...what about that smart guy?
tune
Nice choice on the white, that's what I'd go for it in too. I voted cool; it's one of those situations, for me, where a regular person wouldn't really notice it, but a car enthusiast knows, it's a little bit more lairy than you're basic Golf.
dukenukem
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 14 2006, 02:08 PM) *
Then I must not be a fanboy for this car...what about that smart guy?

But you are a Veedub fanboi ... there is no denying that.
clarkma5
I can certainly deny that...

You wanna call me a MkIV GTI fanboy, fine. Anything beyond that is shaky.
b0mb3r
I have to say, that everyone showed more love towards pear-shaped GTI then I thought smile.gif
Mitlov
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Mar 14 2006, 09:21 PM) *
I have to say, that everyone showed more love towards pear-shaped GTI then I thought smile.gif

It takes more than meh looks to make a car uncool.
midnightdorifto
Vee Dub engineering in za house, yo.

Cool.
Mr b00st
top scores for the MKV GTi.
Keitero-sama
I say cool. Unlike the jackasses at the VW dealership here. They wouldn't let me test drive a Jetta TDI. angry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.