Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Legacy wagon or Impreza wagon
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Mitlov
Okay, this isn't a proper comparison of two competing cars, so much as it's asking for help weighing the interests between Subaru's compact wagon and midsize wagon. As a reminder for the non-regulars, I'm getting a new car in May in preparation for a baby due in July. I had settled on the Legacy 2.5i wagon until I started consider the Impreza.

By the way, please don't jump in with suggestions besides these two cars (VWs, Mazdas, Audis, etc). I've settled on Subaru because of their unique combination of AWD (for visiting her parents in rural eastern Oregon), reliability, safety, and affordability.

Legacy 2.5i SE wagon: $23,000.
2.5 liter flat four, AWD, five-speed manual.
175 hp
169 ft-lbs
3375 lbs
97.4 cubic feet passenger room
32.1 cubic feet cargo space
188.7 inches long
17" alloys.
Power driver's seat, adjustable lumbar support, moonroof.

Impreza 2.5i wagon: $18,250.
2.5 liter flat four, AWD, five-speed manual.
173 hp
168 ft-lbs
3071 lbs
90.4 cubic feet passenger room
23.8 cubic feet cargo space
175.8 inches long
16" alloys
Manually adjustable seat (w/o adjustable lumbar support), no moonroof.

My brain is telling me that I should get the Legacy, for the extra room for baby stuff, the interior quality and amenities, and, potentially, extra room in back for the dog that my fiance wants. My heart (and other organs located south of my brain) are telling me to go with the Impreza, for the handling, the looks, and the pleasant snugness of compact cars that I personally like. And the extra $4750 sure would be nice (baby stuff is expensive). I'd also like the more compact exterior dimensions for fitting into Oregon parking spaces (which are all apprently designed for compact cars). But the Impreza would be cramped with both a baby and a dog--we'd have to put half of the rear seat down, and have the dog sitting on that portion with the baby on the other half of the seat.

What would you do in my shoes? Get the cheaper car that I really want, that's good-but-not-fantastic as a family car, or get the pricier car that's really good as a family car, that I like but I don't lust after?
clarkma5
Personally, I see the Legacy as being on the tight side in terms of interior space anyway...so if you're going to get something that size ANYWAY, just get the Impreza. The specs says one thing but it FEELS about the same as the Legacy inside, and it is cheaper and (presumably) more fun to drive.

I mean, if the Legacy were significantly larger and more practical than the Impreza I'd say that, but I really see very little between them in terms of space and practicality. The Impreza is a totally capable, if somewhat compact, family vehicle, with a large trunk/hatch area and proper seats all around, particularly when you're looking at a child as a rear seat passenger instead of an adult (though I can sit behind my brother in his Impreza, albeit not able to sprawl out, and we're both 6'2" or so).
McKhaos
You've gotta come to terms with the fact you can't have it all in a car (room and sportiness) , and given your current situation , you should get the Legacy .
Keitero-sama
As the owner of an Impreza wagon, I can tell you that whichever one you getg, you won't be disapointed. I heart.gif the legacy for the looks, both interior and exterior. But I heart.gif the Impreza for the way it can go around a corner and all the fun stuff. Just test drive both and see which one you like better.
dukenukem
Does a baby stroller and a space for other baby stuff fit in the Imprezza ? If yes, then save the $$ and get the imprezza ....
Phix
Yah, considering how much crap you wanna shove into the wagon (baby, dog, assorted boxes and what not) then I imagine you can use as much space as you can get. I think that extra 4750$ will save you a lot of hassle and frustration down the road.
McKhaos
QUOTE(Keitero-sama @ Feb 26 2006, 06:21 PM) *
As the owner of an Impreza wagon

Nigga , you drive a Saab . Get over it . tongue.gif
Mitlov
QUOTE(Phix @ Feb 26 2006, 01:04 PM) *
Yah, considering how much crap you wanna shove into the wagon (baby, dog, assorted boxes and what not) then I imagine you can use as much space as you can get. I think that extra 4750$ will save you a lot of hassle and frustration down the road.

Yeah, after talking with Mrs. Mitlov, that sounds like the way I'll go. She said "well, the Impreza wagon doesn't have any more cargo space than a sedan, so why think of it as a wagon at all?" And I realized that, unless I folded the rear seats, she was right. The Impreza wagon is a versatile hauler, but only if you're willing to regularly fold the rear seats. And since I was planning on just leaving the baby seat in there full-time (so I don't have to attach and re-attach), folding the seat might be problematic.

Thanks for the input, everyone.
Mr b00st
hey you made the kid. time to pay the consequences.

Legacy.
Keitero-sama
QUOTE(McKhaos @ Feb 26 2006, 04:06 PM) *
Nigga , you drive a Saab . Get over it . tongue.gif

nigga pls!
fiber optic
While I like the styling of the Impreza a lot more, I think the increased storage volume of the Legacy would suit you better. Voted for the Legacy.
aShirikenwithyournameonit
Pretty much the same car, save the money and go for the impreza, sure 10 less cubic feet storage but babies are small anyway what are they like a half cubic foot... haha

Test drive it and bring the baby stuff, test it out then decide.
TrueSlideXL
Resale value for teh win! Legacy.
Mitlov
After inspecting both in person, I'm definitely going Legacy. The purchase should happen in the next week or so.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Mar 20 2006, 04:55 PM) *
After inspecting both in person, I'm definitely going Legacy. The purchase should happen in the next week or so.

So are you buying the car in pink or blue ?
Mitlov
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Mar 20 2006, 03:35 PM) *
So are you buying the car in pink or blue ?

Blue! (Not that I prefer blue to pink or vice versa). Jackson Lynn, due July 30, is quite an energetic little baby. His current hobbies include hiccups, kicking, and making Mrs. Mitlov barf in the mornings.
Phix
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Mar 20 2006, 06:46 PM) *
Blue! (Not that I prefer blue to pink or vice versa). Jackson Lynn, due July 30, is quite an energetic little baby. His current hobbies include hiccups, kicking, and making Mrs. Mitlov barf in the mornings.

Jackson Lynn? What's your last name?

Jackson L. Mitlov? That's an awesome name. Make him into a karting champion and groom him into F1.
Mitlov
QUOTE(Phix @ Mar 20 2006, 04:50 PM) *
Jackson Lynn? What's your last name?

Jackson L. Mitlov? That's an awesome name. Make him into a karting champion and groom him into F1.

I prefer to not give my exact last name, because of crazies out there, but it's similar to (but not exactly) Mitlov.
Phix
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Mar 20 2006, 10:46 PM) *
I prefer to not give my exact last name, because of crazies out there, but it's similar to (but not exactly) Mitlov.

Oh. Miltov. Jackson Lynn Miltov.

Or is it Vilmot?
dukenukem
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Mar 20 2006, 09:46 PM) *

Do you wear a tin foil hat everytime you step out too ?
Mitlov
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Mar 21 2006, 09:51 AM) *
Do you wear a tin foil hat everytime you step out too ?

No, but I have been stalked by two separate ex-girlfriends. Being stalked is not a fun experience. I'd prefer to not add any internet wackos to the list.

If I were to post my social security number here, probably nothing would happen. But I'm not going to do it anyway. This is no different anyway.
leif
The Legacy is the better choice...

There may not be much difference in interior space...but the Legacy looks nicer, and has a much better sorted interior...

Legacy's interior looks very up scale

The impreza's, while not a disaster looses out to the legacy
Mitlov
QUOTE(leif @ Mar 21 2006, 10:49 AM) *
The Legacy is the better choice...

There may not be much difference in interior space...but the Legacy looks nicer, and has a much better sorted interior...
Legacy's interior looks very up scale

The impreza's, while not a disaster looses out to the legacy

Yeah, I agree. Plus, there's what you can't see in those pictures: the vastly superior sound insulation of the Legacy, adjustable lumbar support (I have back problems from time to time), and power driver's seat.

Also, you have the WRX interior there. The base Impreza has an even more bland interior. Not ugly, just functional-yet-bland.
Mitlov
The decision is made.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.