Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Cool
Mitlov
For 2006, Saab released a new body type and a new engine for their 9-3. The sportwagon is FWD and has a 2.8 liter turbocharged V6 that creates 250hp, 258 ft-lbs of torque. It has a six-speed manual (though I assume some sort of automatic is also available). The car starts at US$33,620, pretty well equipped, and since Saab is owned by GM, incentives are probably available.

Given Saab's economic state, and that of GM as a whole, this could be Saab's last death rattle, or it could be the first sign of Saab rising from the ashes like a phoenix.

The US-market SportCombi will have traditional red-and-yellow taillights. The world market model will have the "ice" taillights pictured below.

clarkma5
It's not a very GOOD car, but Saabs tend to be cool (when they're actually Saabs and not Imprezas or Trailblazers in disguise) and the fact that it's a powerful and turbocharged shooting brake with that typical Saab class, I'd call it cool indeed.
Mr b00st
i think it probably IS a good car. Not 330i Estate good though.

But man it's cool. I'd take a V50 T5 over it, but i'd be envious of every 9-3 SportCombi i saw on the road.

still, dad's saab has been too problematic for me to buy a 9-3.
UserDrew
I give it a cool vote for various reasons. However if I were to own one I would immediatly look into getting the euro tail lights.
DZ302
cool
Mitlov
QUOTE(UserDrew @ Feb 12 2006, 08:03 PM) *
I give it a cool vote for various reasons. However if I were to own one I would immediatly look into getting the euro tail lights.

The reason the US market doesn't have them is because it's illegal to drive in your home state with that type of taillight. Thank your local legislators.
moe
Very slick looking sportswagon. A definite cool.
Phix
Cool.
DZ302
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Feb 12 2006, 10:12 PM) *
The reason the US market doesn't have them is because it's illegal to drive in your home state with that type of taillight. Thank your local legislators.

Go California!
Black RSX
I've always liked Saabs. Something special about them.

This like the others is a cool car.
UserDrew
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Feb 12 2006, 10:12 PM) *

What makes these taillights illegal in california? Does it not have the standard coloring?

My car doesn't have a rear orange blinker and it has never seemed to be an issue.
Mitlov
QUOTE(UserDrew @ Feb 14 2006, 07:26 PM) *
What makes these taillights illegal in california? Does it not have the standard coloring?

My car doesn't have a rear orange blinker and it has never seemed to be an issue.

It was in some press release. I think it's the brake lights being white instead of red that's the main problem.
goota
frozen because of that fact that it has to be changed by law cuz its just too "dangerous" for the US.
tune
I didn't like it at first, but I think they're really cool now, they have a certain air of class about them, without standing out from the crowd too much.
NorthPoint
When I was at the Saab retreat and talking to the head of Saab for Canada he said they were trying to get the Euro lights for the Canadian market since they are legal here. As mentioned it was US regulations which stopped them in the first place.

I would love to have a 9-3 SportCombi Aero... fantastic car.
dukenukem
Cool. If it were based on the STI ... holy mother fuckin cool !!
Mitlov
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Feb 17 2006, 12:36 PM) *
Cool. If it were based on the STI ... holy mother fuckin cool !!

No, then it wouldn't be cool at all, because it would be a 9-2x instead of a real Saab. Saabs should designed and manufactured in Sweden, like the 9-3, not in Japan, like the 9-2x.
leif
any shooting brake is cool...I'm kinda torn on the whole Sabb issue...I dont know how much senseable sweedish there is left...and how much cost-cutting american has been injected...

If I were in the market for a Sweedish car I think I would Go Volvo...they seem to have been a bit more adept at fending off the Ford accountants...

but as it stands I could buy a Legacy 3.0R Spec B for the same money...and I know which I would rather have!
Mitlov
QUOTE(leif @ Feb 18 2006, 03:00 AM) *
any shooting brake is cool...I'm kinda torn on the whole Sabb issue...I dont know how much senseable sweedish there is left...and how much cost-cutting american has been injected...

If I were in the market for a Sweedish car I think I would Go Volvo...they seem to have been a bit more adept at fending off the Ford accountants...

but as it stands I could buy a Legacy 3.0R Spec B for the same money...and I know which I would rather have!

While the 9-2x and the 9-7x should never have been named Saabs, I've always disagreed with people who say that other new Saabs (the 9-3 and the 9-5 families) are somehow less Swedish than new Volvos.

* Sure, the 9-3 shares a platform with the Malibu and G6. But the S40 shares a platform with the Focus and the Mazda3. The 9-3 still has a unique frame, engine, interior, and exterior, just like the S40.

* The 9-3 is still made in Sweden. For the record, the S40 isn't--it's made in Belgium, if I recall correctly.

If I was deciding between a 9-3 Sportcombi and a V50, and I didn't have to worry about Saab practicalities (nonexistent dealer network in Oregon; possibility of bankruptcy; unimpressive reliability history), I'd go with the 9-3SC in a heartbeat.

As for the Legacy...it's by far a better car, by almost any standard. But cooler? I don't think so.
leif
I have been thinking lately about what I woudl replace the Legacy with when the time came...

One car I love is the Volvo V50 Estate (I think I will always have a wagon from now on...I love them) and I have been looking at new Legacys, or possibly an Audi Estate...But I must admit I didn't even think of a Saab.

I have never really liked Saab...I find them to be a bit...well I dont know...lets call it Sweedish (for lack of a better term)...and if Volvos are a little sweedish...Saab seems alot Sweedish.
Phix
QUOTE(leif @ Feb 19 2006, 01:57 AM) *
I have been thinking lately about what I woudl replace the Legacy with when the time came...

One car I love is the Volvo V50 Estate (I think I will always have a wagon from now on...I love them) and I have been looking at new Legacys, or possibly an Audi Estate...But I must admit I didn't even think of a Saab.

I have never really liked Saab...I find them to be a bit...well I dont know...lets call it Sweedish (for lack of a better term)...and if Volvos are a little sweedish...Saab seems alot Sweedish.

It's Swedish.
tune
Whats wrong with Swedish?
leif
nothing...it was just a term I was using to describe the uniqueness and quirkyness of Saabs and Volvos.
Espen
I want to like it because SAAB used to make wonderful cars. But after a quick drive... nah, these are made for people who love the looks and have no idea how a proper car drives. Sad.

The V50 is a very nice car though, it may be Ford but it drives ok and has a delicious dash and interior ambience.
Phix
QUOTE(tune @ Feb 19 2006, 06:48 AM) *
Whats wrong with Swedish?

I meant to correct leif who kept typing it was Sweedish.

It's spelled 'Swedish'.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.