Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1999-2000 BMW V12 LMR
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Frozen
clarkma5
BMW's LMR prototype set the mold for every LMP to precede it. Single roll hoop and raised footbox has now become the bench mark. BMW's modern Le Mans assault started off a bit auspiciously in '98 with the V12 LM, but lessons learned there contributed to '99s very successful LMR. Note that back in '98, the V12 LM was the first car to incorporate a raised footbox and front nose diffuser. But the LM had an unorthodox feature, the car took all its cooling air from the exhaust flow of the front nose diffuser, that is, the diffuser exhausted its air into the open side pods either side of the tub. This solution was less than ideal as front aero balance was reliant on low ambient track surface temperatures. In order to achieve ideal cooling, the car's front ride height would have to be raised in high track temperature situations. But in '99 BMW revised the car's cooling system taking all the cooling air from the top surfaces of the car instead of from underneath. The more controversial feature was the incorporation of a single roll over hoop. But BMW simply utilized an over looked rule within the ACO regulations concerning roll hoop implementation. So, fixing the issues learned with the V12 LM and having a thorough read of the rule book, BMW set about the 1999 season to kick some ass! And ass they did kick.
(from www.mulsannescorner.com)

Mid engine, rwd
915 kg
Carbon fiber and aluminum honeycomb monocoque chassis
around 600 hp, and 500 lb ft of torque
V12 naturally 5990cc aspirated engine, 4 valves per cylinder
6 speed sequential gearbox

Clark's Take
Honestly this was one of the ugliest LMP racers ever run and is really only notable for plugging the gap between the fall of the 911 GT1 and the rise of the Audi R8. Plus, it's a BMW effort and BMW are rule-breaking creeps in motorsport.

Uncool.
darinzon
thanks for fixing the poll, sorry i pressed enter by accident
PBB
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 11 2006, 04:24 PM) *
BMW are rule-breaking creeps in motorsport.

Only if you've never heard of that other German carpentry firm that made all those brutally outrageous porchs. *cough*917*cough*
clarkma5
Nah, Porsche has on several occasions exploited weaknesses in the rules (like all manufacturers, really) but BMW just flat out breaks them sometimes.
DZ302
i love it
PBB
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 11 2006, 04:40 PM) *
BMW just flat out breaks [rules] sometimes.

Liiiiiike? I'm all ears...
darinzon
ehh that v8 they put in the m3 a few years back? i seem to remember contreversy surrounding that. i think they're pretty clever though, i like this car a lot.
DZ302
who cares what rules they broke? cars that break the rules are cool
clarkma5
Yeah, the M3 GTR V8 is the biggest example.

I mean, so the M3 was losing to the 911 GT3 a lot...so BMW thought "I know what's gonna make it faster...let's stick a V8 in it!" What really drives me nuts about that is that it took the ACO more than a season to call BMW on it...I mean, in production car racing, if you wanna race with a V8 you damn well better sell a V8 model to the public. Boggles my mind.
PBB
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 11 2006, 04:58 PM) *
Yeah, the M3 GTR V8 is the biggest example.

I mean, so the M3 was losing to the 911 GT3 a lot...so BMW thought "I know what's gonna make it faster...let's stick a V8 in it!" What really drives me nuts about that is that it took the ACO more than a season to call BMW on it...I mean, in production car racing, if you wanna race with a V8 you damn well better sell a V8 model to the public. Boggles my mind.

Which BMW did. Albeit barely enough to satisfy the lowball homologation requirement, but they sold them.
Here's an short poignantly anti-Porsche article regarding the BMW GTR's withdrawl from the ALMS: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/0205_bmwm3gtr/
Either side you take, you gotta admit both companies have been doing this for years and neither can be conclusively proven to be the greater offender.
clarkma5
I had no idea that they actually sold any V8 M3s. I also thought that GT racing homologation required more like 500 cars instead of 10.

I retract my argument, though I reserve the right to think of BMW as a company full of pricks.
PBB
BMW only made a couple hundred of the roadgoing GTRs and none were inported to the US.
Here's full specs: http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/bmw_m3gtr.asp

And I heartily agree with your opinion of BMW. smile.gif
Jordan
that LMP looks like a skull.
Phix
Ultra cool for me.

Any LM car is uber-cool.
Black RSX
Breakin' the law, breakin' the law... dun dun....
tune
I never really liked it, as it looks quite odd and awkward, which is quite hard to do with an LMP car, not cool for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.