Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How are you guys doing your taxes this year?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Off Topic
trail_boss2
Last year I did mine at H & R Block w/ rapid refund and it was almost $200 to have them done. I want to try and avoid that high of a cost this year but I do not know shit about taxes. Mine should be fairly easy to do:

I made about $20k
I paid about $1300 Federal
about $400 state and local
I paid $1800 in to college out of my pocket that I am going to claim.

Can anyone point me in the right direction so that I can do my taxes cheap and simple?
dukenukem
My dad works in H&R Block parttime as tax preparer. Just go in and do it regularly and it will cost you $35 for preparation and rest is whatever you owe/ get back.
trail_boss2
What is the average turnaround time to get them back?
bankE46
my dad is in business, so he takes care of them for me, although i do talk about what it all means and it why it happens so i can handle it in the future.
Cyclone
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Jan 30 2006, 12:34 AM) *
My dad works in H&R Block parttime as tax preparer. Just go in and do it regularly and it will cost you $35 for preparation and rest is whatever you owe/ get back.

<insert random haha stereotype joke>

I used to just efile my taxes. Last year though it was saying that I owed like $800... I said "Fuck that" and took it to Jackson Hewwiwiitt... I got a undisclosed amount of money back woot.gif
Diesel
turbotax.com. already done and filed. $1500 back.
Cyclone
QUOTE(Diesel @ Jan 30 2006, 02:07 AM) *
turbotax.com. already done and filed. $1500 back.

God you're rolling in the dough lately....

So when will you start paying your moderating staff? Eh?
dukenukem
Last year i got $79 back sad.gif

this year i hope i get enough for a decent downpayment smile.gif
Renesis
I'll get around 350$ back, since they're giving me back everything I paid so far.
DaGonz
Wifey works for an accounting firm. We are getting them done for free this year! biggrin.gif
DaGonz
Brother Trailboss..

As a firefighter, you can deduct the following, if you use the long form..

Uniform cleaning and maintenance.
Union dues and assessments.
Mileage to and from off duty recalls or to temporary duty stations.
Mileage to drills and training.
Mileage to medical exams.
Mileage to phyical therapy for on duty injuries.
Internet costs for fire department related websites.
Professional journals (Firehouse, Fire Engineering, FireRescue Magazine, JEMS, etc).
Personal protective equipment paid for out of pocket.
Cell phone expenses for FD use.
Paging services.
Books for promotional exams.
Classes for promotional exams.
Books for college courses towards a Fire Sceince degree.
College courses towrads a Fire Science degree.
Paramedic school expenses.
Driver's license fees.
trail_boss2
QUOTE(Gonzo0903 @ Jan 30 2006, 04:10 PM) *
Brother Trailboss..

As a firefighter, you can deduct the following, if you use the long form..

Uniform cleaning and maintenance.
Union dues and assessments.
Mileage to and from off duty recalls or to temporary duty stations.
Mileage to drills and training.
Mileage to medical exams.
Mileage to phyical therapy for on duty injuries.
Internet costs for fire department related websites.
Professional journals (Firehouse, Fire Engineering, FireRescue Magazine, JEMS, etc).
Personal protective equipment paid for out of pocket.
Cell phone expenses for FD use.
Paging services.
Books for promotional exams.
Classes for promotional exams.
Books for college courses towards a Fire Sceince degree.
College courses towrads a Fire Science degree.
Paramedic school expenses.
Driver's license fees.

Holy Crap.
z0ne
i don't know how to do taxes .. where's dylan when you need his heritage?

at my old job, i was paid on a W2(?), so the taxes were already taken out of it, now i am payed on a 1099(?) form, so i have to file taxes at the end of the year or quarter or whenever. my dad will help me or we will just send it to the accountant.
DaGonz
If you are being paid without tax witholding, and you don't pay your taxes quarterly, I would suggest taking a third of your income and putting it away in a bank account for taxes. When you have to pay Uncle Sam his due, you'll have the cash and it won't feel as bad.

One year my wife got laid off from the company she was working for at the time, which then hired back as a "consultant" ( they didn't have to pay benefits that way). I was working a couple of days a week detailing for a limo company, who also paid me as a "consultant".

We both got 1099's and ended up having to pay Uncle Sam $5K- We had saved $7K in the account.

I left the limo company (they wanted me to work every day I wasn't at the firehouse, including Saturdays and Sundays and I said no) and the company my wife was "consulting" for was bought out by a competitor, who then hired her back as a regular employee.
dukenukem
This time i should be getting close to a 32" Plasma TV in retuns woot.gif
Forrest
I fuckin owe backtaxes lol. No return for me. My dad knows some accountant, he helps me out for nothin... Only had to pay 1/3rd of what the government told me I owed em last year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.