Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: lol cellphone tax supports Spanish American war!
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Off Topic
Cyclone
Interesting....

There is a call to repeal a cell phone tax most people probably don't even know they are paying.

Anybody who has ever tried to decipher a cell phone bill knows how tough it can be. One of the charges is a 3 percent fee on every cell phone bill in America. The origin of the tax predates the invention of the cellular phone by nearly a century.

Annie Brinkman and her friend, Stacey Lemle, don't know it. But every time they use their cell phones, they are supporting the war effort -- the Spanish-American War

The 1898 war involved Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders.

The fee began as a luxury tax on phones at the turn of the 19th Century. And we're all still paying for it today.

Phone bills don’t specify that the tax originates from the Spanish-American War. It is labeled as the federal excise tax, which amounts to 3 percent of every monthly bill.

"When you say it's a federal excise tax, you know, most of the time, oh it's the federal excise tax,” Laura Merritt of Verizon Wireless explained. “And that's just understood that it's a tax you pay. Where exactly those funds go is something that's a mystery to all of us."

It’s not such a mystery anymore. And now, at least three federal courts have ruled the tax illegal. Many cell phone companies support a repeal of that tax. But they say they are caught in the middle.

"We're required to continue collecting that tax from our customers until the IRS tells us to stop doing that,” said Merritt.

Some lawmakers are demanding cell phone companies stop collecting the tax and refund three years worth of fees.

But for now, every time you make a cell phone call, you'll continue to pay for a war fought more than 107 years ago.

According to the website www.mywireless.org, you can ask the IRS for a refund of up to three years of past taxes. You can also contact members of Congress to ask them to repeal the tax altogether.

When I file my taxes this year I'm going to ask for a refund.
leif
I wonder if My tax dollars are still supporting our troops...fighting American troops from the war of 1812?

every time you make a cell phone call, we can buy one more musket ball to send those yankies packing!
TrueSlideXL
Screw this, it helps the economy and nobody would bitch about it if there wasn't some pussy liberals writing about it. What's next? You want a gas guzzler tax removed from your car because you lost weight? The author is clearly lacking something better to report.
Cyclone
QUOTE(TrueSlideXL @ Jan 17 2006, 11:20 AM) *
Screw this, it helps the economy and nobody would bitch about it if there wasn't some pussy liberals writing about it. What's next? You want a gas guzzler tax removed from your car because you lost weight? The author is clearly lacking something better to report.

Are you fucking stupid?I mean if you want to pay taxes that really go towards nothing, then go for it. For me though, I think paying a tax for a war that was... over 100 years ago isn't right. How's it helping the economy? Ohh, if we didnt pay a 3% tax on using our phone than the economy of America would fail and the terrorist bastards would win!!
TrueSlideXL
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Jan 17 2006, 05:58 PM) *
Are you fucking stupid?I mean if you want to pay taxes that really go towards nothing, then go for it. For me though, I think paying a tax for a war that was... over 100 years ago isn't right. How's it helping the economy? Ohh, if we didnt pay a 3% tax on using our phone than the economy of America would fail and the terrorist bastards would win!!

It's helping the country by paying for things. Every year we come closer to having to default on debt. You must be nuts to think this country does not need more money to pay off our wreckless spending.
Cyclone
QUOTE(TrueSlideXL @ Jan 17 2006, 01:04 PM) *
It's helping the country by paying for things. Every year we come closer to having to default on debt. You must be nuts to think this country does not need more money to pay off our wreckless spending.

I don't really care about the tax I'm paying on my cellphone but as far as it being a tax that was supposed to be dropped, i don't think it's exactly right. You and everyone knows this country is mostly founded on people fucking each other over to get a few extra bucks.

Wouldnt you be pissed if they said "Federal income tax was found to be illegal and the United States has been charging people for hundreds of years illegally"? Especially when it's taking about $5,000+ from you on a yearly basis.
TrueSlideXL
The problem is it really is not illegal, I see your arguement on why it hasn't been judged as so. As long as the tax is legal, be happy because it clearly won't be changed.
Cyclone
Yah I mean bottom line is them being "oh, yeah btw you didnt really have to pay this" kind of pisses me off. If I didnt know the purpose of it I would really care and even now it being such a small amount I still dont care.
leif
perhaps if close to $1,000,000,000,000 haddnt been spent on the war efforts your country wouldnt be so close to defaulting on those debts.

I wonder...would China send a collection agent out to get the US?

"Um...so sorry but we are repo-ing Hawaii"
clarkma5
Trueslide: Do we need this tax to pay off our ridiculous expenditures? Yes. Is it illegal? Yes.

Fact is that this tax should be repealed and then replaced with a tax that actually goes toward what we want it to go toward. As is, it's an illegal tax. The way this country works is we vote on what we get taxed for and how much we get taxed. The problem with that system is that we don't tend to tax ourselves enough to pay for what we want and need, but it is the way things are.
TrueSlideXL
QUOTE(leif @ Jan 17 2006, 07:15 PM) *
perhaps if close to $1,000,000,000,000 haddnt been spent on the war efforts your country wouldnt be so close to defaulting on those debts.

I wonder...would China send a collection agent out to get the US?

"Um...so sorry but we are repo-ing Hawaii"

And perhaps maybe the internet or any number of things wouldn't exist if we hadn't gone into any number of other military conflicts. China would have a hard time collecting on our debt. O_o here's an idea, we can stop foriegn aid and investments too! But, then we are the greedy Americans again, and nobody likes a whiner.
And Clark, the tax is not illegal. The tax is just misleading, it was voted on and put into effect so it is clearly legal.
clarkma5
A tax that is extended to a technology that didn't exist when the tax was created is iffy, at best.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.