Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This is why I never complained about school.
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Off Topic
trail_boss2
These are some of the pics from my class that just graduated from the fire academy. The academy was the best experience I have ever had so far. The things you experience when fire is shooting out of every crack behind a door at you and you know you have to go in there just cant be explained. The whole class is VERY hard both academically and physically. We started with 26 students and ended with 16. If you were tardy twice to class you were dropped with no refund (about $3000). If you failed 2 tests you were dropped no refund.

First I'll post the ones with me in them then I will post the random ones of other students in my class.

I am the second one on the left.

This is me backing up the nozzleman.

This is me masking up at the house we used for search and rescue.

This is me on the nozzle (in front of the guy in the red gear)

The rest of these are misc pics from the class...

This is the house we used for search and rescue (no fire, just lots of fog machines to simulate smoke)

The next few pics are from the flashover simulation. For those who dont know flashover is the point at which the room reaches its ignition temperature and everything in it ignites. Flashovers begin with tiny finger like flames rolling over your head through the smoke and the heat starts to become unbearable. In the simulator you sit on a bench (in the lower box) and a fire is started in the upper box. All doors are shut and the boxes fill with smoke to the point where you cant even see the fire that is less than 15 feet away from you and you cant see your hand an inch in front of your face. You look up and see the fingers in the smoke and they extinguish the fire just a few seconds before it actually flashes over (if it acutally flashed on you it would be certain death)

These 2 are from auto fires / auto extrication days. All day we just cut up cars with hydraulic tools and burned cars and put them out.

Random pics

In most states they require you to have at least one live burn before you can get your FF II certification. This is pics from our classes final burn. We had a regular 2 story house and loaded it up with pallets and straw and just kept setting it on fire over and over again until it was to much then we burnt it down. You would respond just as if it were a real emergency. The house is donated by the public and they can write it off on their taxes.

Student / Instuctor pic

one
Whoa. that stuff is just too cool. This means you pass, right?
trail_boss2
QUOTE(one @ Jan 10 2006, 08:06 PM) *
Whoa. that stuff is just too cool. This means you pass, right?

Yeah. After the class is over you have to take a state exam, which I passed.
one
Congratulations then! Nice job, I've wanted to be a firefighter, but I'm actually a nerd. so yeah. sad.gif
Phix
Congrats, trail.

Looked like hell (no pun intended) but obviously it was much worth it... hope you save plenty of lives with your new certificate. smile.gif
trail_boss2
QUOTE(one @ Jan 10 2006, 08:18 PM) *
Congratulations then! Nice job, I've wanted to be a firefighter, but I'm actually a nerd. so yeah. sad.gif

Why cant nerds be firefighters? I went through 1 year of MCSE stuff as well so im like 1/4 nerd. As a career firefighter you work 24/48 shifts meaning you work 24 hours on then have 48 hours off. That means you only work about 108 days a year compared to the 240 days the average working person does. Most career firefighters work other part time jobs on their off days. Remember that 99% of career fire depts now require you to be a paramedic as well.
veritech
that is some crazy stuff. gw on the class and passing, looks crazy hard. now go save some cats and put out fires.
bankE46
firefighters can make out pretty well financially with all that free time. a regular salary for the 108 days or so at work, and then a lot of free time to work elsewhere or start a business. the fire chief in our town owns his own business on the side (it has something to do with security, not sure if its fire related or not). congratulations!
DaGonz
I have been a firefighter for a little over 24 years now... I still look forward to going to work every duty tour.

I work as slighly different schedule than trailboss...two 10 hour days (8AM to 6 PM), two 14 hour nights (6PM to 8AM). then I have 4 days off for an average of 180 days a year. Being on " da job" for as long as I have, I get 20 duty tours ( five weeks) off for vacation, six personal days per year, 15 sick days a year and 22% of my salary in incentives.

It's the best job in the world!

Trailboss...

You got to get rid of that "tactical tupperware" helmet and get yourself a leather lid!
trail_boss2
QUOTE(Gonzo0903 @ Jan 10 2006, 09:57 PM) *
You got to get rid of that "tactical tupperware" helmet and get yourself a leather lid!

That helmet was just a rental trust me. Im actually going through old threads at firehouse.com right now to help me choose what kind of traditional style helmet I am going to buy.
Phix
Hey, wait a second.... you don't actually DRIVE the trucks? Aren't all firefighters capable of driving the truck and go through some sort of obstalce course?
nismo
Wow. Congratulations! That sounds like it was hard as fuck to do that. Well, now you can rescue people like me when retarded cheerleaders start fires in backyards. (don't ask)
darinzon
haha the last picture would be pretty weird out of context
z0ne
CONGRATS!

*tears* i'm so proud of ya!
Mazdaspeed
Remember that 99% of career fire depts now require you to be a paramedic as well.

are you a medic too?
PAULIE_D
You bangin' the broad on your right? If not, get in there....

Awesome career path you're setting off on as well. Congrats.
porsche944
QUOTE(BankieVR6 @ Jan 10 2006, 11:40 PM) *
firefighters can make out pretty well financially with all that free time. a regular salary for the 108 days or so at work, and then a lot of free time to work elsewhere or start a business. the fire chief in our town owns his own business on the side (it has something to do with security, not sure if its fire related or not). congratulations!

yes... but our towns fire dept is volantary
trail_boss2
QUOTE(PHiX @ Jan 10 2006, 10:17 PM) *
Hey, wait a second.... you don't actually DRIVE the trucks? Aren't all firefighters capable of driving the truck and go through some sort of obstalce course?

Yes we do drive the trucks, but on the final burn day we didnt because it would slow down the evolutions too much.

are you a medic too?

Right now Im an EMT, I start medic school in August.
DaGonz
Believe it or not, the BRT ( big red truck) drives a lot like a car, on a "slightly larger" scale... with power sterring, air brakes, diesel engines with Jake Brakes, automatic transmissions, and of course a kick ass Federal Q siren and Groiver air horns! 8)

The rig I ride in (being a Captain, I can't drive apparatus anymore) is a 2005 E-One Rescue pumper on a Typhoon custom chassis with a 1500 gallon per minute pump, a 750 gallon water tank and a 30 gallon foam tank. The rig weighs 20 tons fully loaded. It is powered by a 400 horsepower Cummins diesel with a Jake brake. The power goes to the wheels through a 5 speed Allison automatic transmission.

Trailboss... If you are getting a leather lid, the true leathers are the Cairns N5A New Yorker ( like my avatar) and the N6A Houston ( slightly different, but made of 100% cow!). I own both lids, but I prefer the New Yorker and keep that one at the firehouse

Phenix Technologies makes a 100%nice leather lid, too.

The Paul Conway helmet is a composite fiberglass lid wrapped in leather (I wonder where they raise fiberglass cows?) cool.gif

PS: get leather fire boots , too.. they are 1000 times more commfortable than the standard issue rubber boots.

What's the difference between a firefighter paramedic and a paramedic firefighter?

Ask a firefighter paramedic for a big line, and you will get a deuce and half with a smoothbore nozzle (kickass! 8) ) .

Ask a paramedic firefighter for a big line, you'll get a bag of saline with an 8 gauge needle!
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
trail_boss2
I was going to buy leather boots before the academy but I decided to wait until I got hired somewhere. I tried them on though and they feel just like regular shoes. They didnt compare to the rubber boots.
dukenukem
so now we know Gonzo is a firefighting nerd tongue.gif heart.gif
DaGonz
Nah... I just love my career choice. Every day I go to work, I get to do something different. No two calls are the same, unless of course, it is a fire alarm system malfunction from the same address!
Avalon
Wow, that's awesome. Looks like a lot of fun, and congratulations!

Also, RESPECT to you. Firefighting is one of, if not the most noble profession anyone can have. You're not near me, but thanks on behalf of all the people who you put your life at risk for. You too Gonzo. Respect to you.
White RSX
QUOTE(refinehatelovex @ Jan 10 2006, 07:57 PM) *
haha the last picture would be pretty weird out of context

"Weeeeeee're PYROS!"
DaGonz
My fire academy class was the last one to actually have an acquired structure to burn (all burns are now down in a dedicated burn building)

My section of the class had the final burn, where we let the structure burn down to the ground. Somewhere in the archives is a similar pic, with the class and instructors posing in front of a fully involved house.
DaGonz
My fire academy class (MFA Recruit class #56, spring 1982) was the last one to actually have an acquired structure to burn (all burns are now done in a dedicated burn building)

The house was we had was an old 2 and half story farmhouse that was given to the Academy by Massachusetts electric. They were building a new equipment facility on the site and wanted the house gone.

We did a few burn evolutions in the morning, and in the afternoon the instructors and suppot staff loaded the building up with straw and let her rip and burn down to the ground. Somewhere in the archives is a similar pic, with my recruit class and instructors posing in front of a fully involved house.
fiber optic
QUOTE(Gonzo0903 @ Jan 13 2006, 09:24 AM) *
fully involved

I was wondering what that meant. There's a sandwich place here called Firehouse Subs that has a firehouse theme and they ask you if you want your sub 'fully involved' which means they put all the onions, peppers, mushrooms, and whatnot on it.
trail_boss2
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Jan 13 2006, 11:59 AM) *
I was wondering what that meant. There's a sandwich place here called Firehouse Subs that has a firehouse theme and they ask you if you want your sub 'fully involved' which means they put all the onions, peppers, mushrooms, and whatnot on it.

haha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.