Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY '06: Battle of the Honorable mentions
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
clarkma5
For more on the Dieselstation Car Of The Year '06 competition, please see this thread.

This is something I've been thinking of for a couple days...I figured it'd be fun to have a poll that features every car that didn't win its category BUT was within 5 votes of the winner (including the ones that tied then lost the tie-breaker)...the cars that almost made it, in other words. The way we can have some fun debate and talk about some cars that got excluded, as there were definitely more award-worthy cars this year than there were categories. This thread will be open for 6 days (so the main voting finishes first). Let's get this thing started, shall we?

BMW M5
Base MSRP:
$81,200
Available Engines: 5.0 liter DOHC 40-valve V10 with 500 HP and 383 ft.-lbs. of torque.
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual or 7-speed SMG transmission
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive
Curb Weight: 4012 lbs.

Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Base MSRP:
$65,800
Available Engines: 7.0 liter OHV 16-valve V8 with 505 HP and 470 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual
Curb Weight: 3132 pounds

Dodge Ram (Excluding SRT-10)
Base MSRP:
$21,700
Available Engines: 3.7 liter SOHC 12-valve V6 with 215 HP and 235 ft.-lbs. of torque; 4.7 liter SOHC 16-valve V8 with 235 HP and 300 ft.-lbs. of torque; 5.7 liter OHV 16-valve V8 with 345 HP and 375 ft.-lbs. of torque; 5.7 liter OHV 16-valve V8 with multiple displacement system with 345 HP and 375 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual or 5-speed automatic transmission
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive or Part-time 4-Wheel Drive
Curb Weight: 4899+ lbs.

Honda Accord (excluding Hybrid)
Base MSRP:
$18,225
Available Engines: 2.4 liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 166 HP and 160 ft.-lbs. of torque; 3.0 liter SOHC 24-valve V6 with 244 HP and 211 ft.-lbs. of torque.
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual (2.4 only) or 5-speed automatic transmission; 6-speed manual transmission (V6 only).
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive
Curb Weight: 3056-3437 lbs.

Infiniti M35/45
Base MSRP:
$40,640
Available Engines: 3.5 liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with 280 HP and 270 ft.-lbs. of torque; 4.5 liter DOHC 32-valve V8 with 335 HP and 340 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift model
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive or Permanent All-wheel drive (3.5 only)
Curb Weight: 3832-4004 lbs.

Mazda Mazdaspeed 6
Base MSRP:
$28,555
Available Engines: 2.3 liter DOHC turbocharged 16-valve inline-4 with 274 HP and 280 ft.-lbs. of torque.
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual transmission
Available Drivetrains: Permanent All-wheel drive
Curb Weight: 3589 lbs.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX
Base MSRP:
$29,149
Available Engines: 2.0 liter DOHC 16-valve turbocharged inline-4 with 286 HP and 289 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual (RS and GSR only) or 6-speed manual (MR only)
Available Drivetrains: Permanent All-wheel drive with selectable traction modes
Curb Weight: 3219-3338 lbs.

Mercedes-Benz CLS-class (AMG excluded)
Base MSRP:
$65,675
Available Engines: 5.0 liter SOHC 24-valve V8 with 302 HP and 339 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 7-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode
Curb Weight: 3990 lbs.

Saab 9-5
Base MSRP:
$34,100
Available Engines: 2.3 liter DOHC 16-valve turbocharged inline-4 with 260 HP and 258 ft.-lbs. of torque.
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual or 5-speed automatic transmission
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive
Curb Weight: 3470+ lbs.

Toyota RAV4
Base MSRP:
$26,475
Available Engines: 2.5 liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 166 HP and 165 ft.-lbs. of torque; 3.5 liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with 269 HP and 246 ft.-lbs. of torque.
Available Transmissions: 4-speed automatic transmission (I4 only), 5-speed automatic transmission (V6 only)
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive or automatic All-wheel drive
Curb Weight: 3675 lbs.

DZ302
as much as i love the M5 and Z06 and all that...they aren't really underdogs. to me, this category is about picking the guy that is most commonly overlooked but performs respectably, and that's the Mazdaspeed 6
goota
damn..

M5, Z06, EVO IX....

damn.... you.... matt....

I take the Evo, because it would be the one I would buy in a realistic situation.

but if i had the money, it would definitely be the M5.
RWD, 500HP, and Sedan so I can actually carry some shit.
Smartdriver
CLS...I :heart: that car
moe
CLS fo sho!
Mitlov
Accord. The V6 6MT is a practical, affordable, reliable family car for enthusiasts. The four cylinder models are fun to drive, last forever, get compact car fuel economy, and actually are kind of fun to drive too.
clarkma5
I look at this poll and I find myself deciding between the Mazdaspeed 6, the Evo IX, and the Z06. They're all great cars...but...

The Mazdaspeed 6 is really rather dull, particularly when compared to these other cars. It just sorta strikes me as a somber rain cloud in this company.

The Evo IX is a delightfully sharp little sedan, but I just like the STi more...how can I honestly throw my vote at a car that's second place out of two in company this good?

No, it has to be the Z06. It's the best Corvette ever made, it's the best Chevrolet ever made, and I'd argue it's one of the best American cars ever made. It's not just brute force, it's a delicate and beautifully engineered car, and I was surprised as hell that it got so little recognition in this competition.
DZ302
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Dec 19 2005, 03:55 PM) *
Z06...I was surprised as hell that it got so little recognition in this competition.

You were genuinely surprised? Based on my observations of the members of this forum, it didn't surprise me one bit. I didn't vote for it in here though, simply because it's not an underdog in any way. I think it's worthy of more than an honorable mention.
clarkma5
I think the Z06 has a pretty healthy fanbase around here. But even then, recognition doesn't have to be all positive...it's a car that has stirred some lengthy debates here and yet it slipped through the competition without so much as a whisper.
Phix
Z06 is missing a rotary engine and it needs to weigh 1200lbs. rolleyes.gif

Z06 gets my vote. First 'vette to really grab my attention.
350Z
The Z06 is always going to be one of those cars that I love, but that I dont love as much as say the 430.
RJ
Z06. The Nissan 350Z I'm most likely getting is just 1/3rd of the way to a Z06. biggrin.gif
clarkma5
QUOTE(RJ @ Dec 20 2005, 09:22 AM) *
Z06. The Nissan 350Z I'm most likely getting is just 1/3rd of the way to a Z06. biggrin.gif

Actually, in terms of displacement it's haflway tongue.gif
Jordan
the ZO6 to me is so boring.

i picked the EVO. when i graduate from ASSET i am buying either a used EVO, STi, or old 911...
darinzon
Evo...because if the next model looks anything like those drawings released of it, it's going to be REALLY fucked up looking
DZ302
QUOTE(Jordan @ Dec 20 2005, 09:59 PM) *
the ZO6 to me is so boring.

i picked the EVO. when i graduate from ASSET i am buying either a used EVO, STi, or old 911...

i guarantee that you would shit your pants just driving a C5 Z06, much less a C6 Z06. to call it boring is retarded if you've never driven it
Black RSX
I hate GM, I hate Vettes... but I had to vote for the Z06. You get SO much for your money.
Keitero-sama
I am torn between the 9-5 and the M35/45. T_T
RJ
keep voting... someone break the deadlock... vote z06!!
RockStaRRR
that EVO9 is soooooooo bland looking
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.