Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '87 Ruf ctr "Yellowbird"
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Frozen
marcos_eirik

QUOTE(Knowledge)
In 1987 the newest RUF high speed sports car, the CTR, received its certification for normal road use. This incredible car, a 469 bhp twin turbo coupé, exceeded the top speed world record for production cars on the Nardo Racetrack at a rate of 342 km/h!! It was at the time, and still today, a truly astonishing pace. In addition, this same year RUF Automobile GmbH became an approved manufacturer with the U.S. authorities for safety and emissions (NHTSA and EPA).

QUOTE(Specs)
Miles Per Gallon: 10/21 mpg
Curb Weight: 3040 lbs
Layout: Rear-Engine/RWD
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual

Engine
Type: Twin-Turbo Flat-6
Displacement: 3600 cc
Horsepower: 469 bhp @ 5950 rpm
Torque: 408 lb-ft @ 5100 rpm
Redline: 6800 rpm

Performance
0-60 mph: 4.0 sec
0-100 mph: 7.3 sec
Quarter Mile: 11.7 sec @ 133.5 mph
Skidpad: .90g
Top Speed: 211 mph

More pics here...

A video of the ctr being driven to its limits around the Nordschleife here and here...
PBB
I Can Cut Glass With My Nipples Frozen!!

The world's greatest (only?) yellow car, just as desirable today as nearly two decades ago.
DZ302
ice cold, but those numbers are wrong. it's literally impossible for a 3000lb car with 470hp to trap 133mph
arnge
A legened and one of the best porsches EVER.
marcos_eirik
QUOTE(DZ302 @ Dec 3 2005, 12:53 PM) *
ice cold, but those numbers are wrong. it's literally impossible for a 3000lb car with 470hp to trap 133mph

The weight is wrong, it's actually 1100kg...
TrueSlideXL
The tank car RUF was frozen, this is just cool.
Black RSX
This is one of the top cars ever made.... FROZEN!! Pee Yellow Frozen!!

(Going to go drive my own on The Ring right now... Love GT4!!)
Jordan
slap my ass and call me susy, this car is fantastically frozen
DZ302
QUOTE(marcos_eirik @ Dec 3 2005, 01:57 PM) *
The weight is wrong, it's actually 1100kg...

so like 2400lbs...sounds about right then
clarkma5
I can't find any specifications that say 1100 kg...everything I find says 3040 pounds.
PBB
QUOTE(http://www.supercarworld.com/cgi-bin/showgeneral.cgi?265)
The fastest car of the 1980's at a genuine 213mph, just 25 of these startling Ruf CTR 'Yellowbirds' were produced.

Based on Porsche's 964 turbo, the CTR featured carbon body panels (almost unheard of in the 1980s) to keep weight down to a mere 1100kg. All 462bhp was transmitted to the rear wheels through an in-house 6-speed gearbox, again a rare sight in 1988. This combination of high power and low weight meant slingshot acceleration. 60mph arrived in just 3.7sec, with 100mph coming up 3 seconds later - both world records at the time, and still incredibly fast even today.

Clark, I think the problem with the weight issue is that the original 25 Yellowbirds were CF and all following Yellowbirds and variants were heavier.
clarkma5
BS, the CTR had a 5-speed. The CTR-2 had a 6 speed, yeah, but the original did not.

You might be right about the weight, but 620 pounds is a MASSIVE discrepancy, even considering CF body panels.
PBB
Upon furthur research, yeah, that 1,100 kg figure has to be BS.

http://www.fast-autos.net/ruf/rufctr.html
3,040 pounds.
clarkma5
See, that's the only number I found too, but I only found it from those car specification sites, and all they do is copy the data from each other...so if one site made an error, than so did all the others. I don't consider that conclusive, but considering how it doesn't conflict with any other sane numbers, it makes the most sense.
PBB
OK, this is just getting confusing...

1,150 kg

http://www.forbes.com/global/2003/0915/116.html
PBB
http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/default...2321&optionID=0

But this one seems the most credible, detailed specs, listing the top speed at the actual 212.6 mph instead of the 215!!PMH!! as everyone else.

1,222 kg / 2,695 lb

I can believe those numbers. smile.gif
CRiZO
My friend works for RUF... bastard.
clarkma5
2695 pounds sounds right...3040 sounded fat for an '80s turbo, particularly one with lightweight body panels, but 2420 and 2530 were suspiciously low.
PAULIE_D
Ice cold! One of my all time faves!!!
marcos_eirik
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Dec 3 2005, 09:42 PM) *
2695 pounds sounds right...3040 sounded fat for an '80s turbo, particularly one with lightweight body panels, but 2420 and 2530 were suspiciously low.

According to Porsches own numbers a standard '87 911 Carrera weighs in at 1210kg (2667lb). I seriously doubt that a lightweight stripped down version of that is any heavyer than the standard car... huh.gif The factory 'Club Sport' version weighs 1160kg (2557lb)...
porschedream
ICE COLD!
clarkma5
QUOTE(marcos_eirik @ Dec 4 2005, 03:25 AM) *
According to Porsches own numbers a standard '87 911 Carrera weighs in at 1210kg (2667lb). I seriously doubt that a lightweight stripped down version of that is any heavyer than the standard car... huh.gif The factory 'Club Sport' version weighs 1160kg (2557lb)...

A Carrera weighs significantly less than a turbo...a stock '87 Turbo weighed 1282 kg (or should I say "had a mass of 1282 kg")...add more weight for all the performance goodies (performance stuff is heavier in general) and then remove ~200 pounds with CF body panels, and you're right at the 1222 kg quoted above.
350Z
The old Porsches are cool but now I feel like they seem to want to compete in every market rather than focusing on what they are clearly best at.
clarkma5
QUOTE(The Nissan 350z rocks @ Dec 4 2005, 02:28 PM) *
The old Porsches are cool but now I feel like they seem to want to compete in every market rather than focusing on what they are clearly best at.

It's called "diversification" and it's a direct reaction to Porsche almost going bankrupt in the early '90s.
350Z
I know why they are doing it I just dont like it thats all, and I know my opinion doesn't matter to Porsche
clarkma5
Eh, I don't see how it makes much difference. The Cayenne may have a porsche badge on it, but everything else they make is a true sports car in the tradition of Porsche's best (at least until the Panamera comes along).
350Z
Yeah I guess your right, its just the way that they fit the cayman perfectly into the gap between the 911 and the Boxster that just makes me feel like their cars are being churned out to fill every market. I know that this probably doesn't happen but I like to think that a car is made to be as good as possible (within reason) I just look at the Cayman and think de-tuned 911. I have the utmost respect for Porsche and the way that they have climbed the supercar ladder to make probably the best cars around but when I see the new ones I feel like they have lost some of that passion that they once had.
Phix
Why buy a Cayman when you can just buy a Boxster with the detachable hardtop option? Eh? Eh?
Halflifehavock13
Mandatory awesomeness.

Dry Ice cool.
porschedream
QUOTE(The Nissan 350z rocks @ Dec 4 2005, 05:55 PM) *
Yeah I guess your right, its just the way that they fit the cayman perfectly into the gap between the 911 and the Boxster that just makes me feel like their cars are being churned out to fill every market. I know that this probably doesn't happen but I like to think that a car is made to be as good as possible (within reason) I just look at the Cayman and think de-tuned 911. I have the utmost respect for Porsche and the way that they have climbed the supercar ladder to make probably the best cars around but when I see the new ones I feel like they have lost some of that passion that they once had.

Now where did I hear almost those exact words before? Oh yeah Topgear!
clarkma5
Don't bother him PD, some people are too busy to form their own opinions.
porschedream
tongue.gif just a little fun never hurts anyone clarkma laugh.gif
350Z
So just because I feel the same way as Clarkson on one topic (the cayman) I cant form my own opinions?
tune
The Yellowbird is quality, I like cars that are defineably different.

Clarkma, some people share opinions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.