Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator brushes
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
Pages: 1, 2
Jordan
I am about to go get some new alternator brushers, do a simple replacment rebuild of my alternator. but i have questions...

1. how much do they cost
2. what in the hell do they DO?
DakianDelomast
Buy a new alternator.
Jordan
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Sep 18 2005, 11:15 AM)
Buy a new alternator.

nevar!
DakianDelomast
Yes. Its a hell of a lot simpler than disassembling a piece of machinary that you don't understand and THEY'RE NOT THAT EXPENSIVE.
Jordan
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Sep 18 2005, 12:09 PM)
Yes. Its a hell of a lot simpler than disassembling a piece of machinary that you don't understand and THEY'RE NOT THAT EXPENSIVE.

a new alternator for my car is about 150 dollars. when brushers are 10 bucks max, and i just unscrew the voltage regular on the alternator and replace them. its a matter of two screws, becauase the 240's have external voltage regulators. two screws, and replacing the brushers. i just dont know what they do is all.
DakianDelomast
Don't get one from volvo, get an autozone one.
Jordan
whats the difference between "core value" and "unit price"?

and its still 100 bucks man.
DakianDelomast
Usually when you buy one they want you to give them your old one. Look around for better prices at autozone, advanced auto, pep boys, and the like. Trust me it would be a LOT simpler than disassembling the alternator (with no instructions might i add) and replacing the brushes yourself.
Jordan
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Sep 18 2005, 12:45 PM)
Usually when you buy one they want you to give them your old one. Look around for better prices at autozone, advanced auto, pep boys, and the like. Trust me it would be a LOT simpler than disassembling the alternator (with no instructions might i add) and replacing the brushes yourself.

there are instruction on brickboard, turbobricks, sweedespeed. plus my sisters boyfriend is a technician.
DakianDelomast
Yes and assuming that they're all telling the truth I bet your sister's BF would say the same thing that I am.

Get a new alternator, problem solved.
nismo
Wait. I am soo confused. You were saying you didn't want any crappy welds on your radiator, but you were willing to put some goop shit in it to plug the leak. (until you actually bought a new radiator) Then you wanted to make your own sway bars. Now you are being too cheap to buy a new alternator. What the hell?
Jordan
QUOTE(nismo @ Sep 18 2005, 12:53 PM)
Wait. I am soo confused. You were saying you didn't want any crappy welds on your radiator, but you were willing to put some goop shit in it to plug the leak. (until you actually bought a new radiator) Then you wanted to make your own sway bars. Now you are being too cheap to buy a new alternator. What the hell?

nismo, get your own car that you have to pay for, then talk to me you spoiled brat.

dakian,

say i buy these brushes, put them in and it solves everything? thats like 90 bucks i save. if it doesnt, then i'll have an extra pair of brushes. i ask the technician about it, he said a new pack of brushes will fix it right up.
DakianDelomast
You're just not shopping hard enough.
Jordan
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Sep 18 2005, 12:57 PM)
You're just not shopping hard enough.

i looked at pepboys, they dont even have one, looked at advanced they have them for more than autozone, shucks is really expensive.
DakianDelomast
I just found one for 70 bucks, core refund of 30 bucks, means you pay 40 out the door for something that works.
Jordan
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Sep 18 2005, 12:59 PM)
I just found one for 70 bucks, core refund of 30 bucks, means you pay 40 out the door for something that works.

link?
nismo
QUOTE(Jordan @ Sep 18 2005, 03:55 PM)
nismo, get your own car that you have to pay for, then talk to me you spoiled brat.

dakian,

say i buy these brushes, put them in and it solves everything? thats like 90 bucks i save. if it doesnt, then i'll have an extra pair of brushes. i ask the technician about it, he said a new pack of brushes will fix it right up.

The only reason I am spoiled is because my parents have money, and I cannot get a job because of my leg. So STFU you cheap ass. Even if I had bought the odyssey, and I had to pay for everything, I would wait to get a better part than to only fix part of the problem.
Jordan
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Sep 18 2005, 01:01 PM)

i looked at that same site! weird... if this is available to me i'll get it today.

nismo, fabulous that your parents have money. mine dont, i have to buy shit myself. dont talk to me about choices untill you've experienced my situation. next time you go running in your 300 dollar shoes, and drive your free car and gel your hair with free hair gel i hope you run out of gas, have to walk home, and it rains so you get hair gel in your eyes. but seriously, dont tell me that i am stupid when maybe i am trying to save a little dough.
DakianDelomast
They might do core charges different when you live. Ask em before you buy anything and most importantly take the old alternator to them before you walk out with the new one to make sure all the pieces line up with the old one.
Jordan
when i got to autozone, my 55 amp alternator is 94 dollars with 30 core value, but yours is 69?
DakianDelomast
Core charges sometimes work differently depending on who you're buying from.

I was reading their fine print and autozone may charge you the unit price plus the core charge, and refund you when you give them the core.
DakianDelomast
hah what the fuck.
Jordan
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Sep 18 2005, 01:09 PM)
Core charges sometimes work differently depending on who you're buying from. 

I was reading their fine print and autozone may charge you the unit price plus the core charge, and refund you when you give them the core.

yeah, its additional, not subtracted from.

the only difference between your page and mine is that yours isnt available in stores, only online. maybe when you buy it from the store there is an extra cost to make up for shipping?
DakianDelomast
Try your local advanced auto instead of autozone.
nismo
QUOTE(Jordan @ Sep 18 2005, 04:05 PM)
i looked at that same site! weird... if this is available to me i'll get it today.

nismo, fabulous that your parents have money. mine dont, i have to buy shit myself. dont talk to me about choices untill you've experienced my situation. next time you go running in your 300 dollar shoes, and drive your free car and gel your hair with free hair gel i hope you run out of gas, have to walk home, and it rains so you get hair gel in your eyes. but seriously, dont tell me that i am stupid when maybe i am trying to save a little dough.

Umm, I have not always been wealthy. And I had to buy my first car anyways. Remember the skyhawk? And so yeah. I hope your volvo explodes and then you are left without a car. And If I ever did run out of gas, then I would call AAA. Then they would fill it up. And just because I had gel in my hair HALF A YEAR AGO, how does it mean that I wear gel all the time? I didnt wear gel all summer, and I haven't worn gel this school year at all. So have fun fixing more shit in your car that will break.
Jordan
QUOTE(nismo @ Sep 18 2005, 01:12 PM)

Umm, I have not always been wealthy. And I had to buy my first car anyways. Remember the skyhawk? And so yeah. I hope your volvo explodes and then you are left without a car. And If I ever did run out of gas, then I would call AAA. Then they would fill it up. And just because I had gel in my hair HALF A YEAR AGO, how does it mean that I wear gel all the time? I didnt wear gel all summer, and I haven't worn gel this school year at all. So have fun fixing more shit in your car that will break.

stop justifying your petty problems trying to make your life worse. thats one of the dumbest things i've ever seen... you are rich, i'd love that. judt dont tell me what to do. go buy some more 300 dollar shoes.
Jordan
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Sep 18 2005, 01:12 PM)
Try your local advanced auto instead of autozone.

there is a place called baxter auto parts, i am gonna go there and see if they have one.
nismo
QUOTE(Jordan @ Sep 18 2005, 04:15 PM)

stop justifying your petty problems trying to make your life worse. thats one of the dumbest things i've ever seen... you are rich, i'd love that. judt dont tell me what to do. go buy some more 300 dollar shoes.

Are you fucking kidding me? If you didn't spend all your money on cigarettes and weed, maybe you would have more money to buy stuff for your car. You were able to walk all summer, I was not able to because of my god damned leg. The only reason I can walk right now is because I wear a brace. If I did not have the brace on, I couldn't even walk. You have never known how it feels to not even be able to walk or have any control over your leg, so until you do, you cannot even compare your "problems" to mine. So shut the fuck up you cunt face.
høgh
Lolerskates are grinding down the roflcopters blades
nismo
Jordan, in case you didn't notice, money does not equal happiness.
Jordan
QUOTE(nismo @ Sep 18 2005, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE(Jordan @ Sep 18 2005, 04:15 PM)

Are you fucking kidding me? If you didn't spend all your money on cigarettes and weed, maybe you would have more money to buy stuff for your car. You were able to walk all summer, I was not able to because of my god damned leg. The only reason I can walk right now is because I wear a brace. If I did not have the brace on, I couldn't even walk. You have never known how it feels to not even be able to walk or have any control over your leg, so until you do, you cannot even compare your "problems" to mine. So shut the fuck up you cunt face.

are we talking about physical problems? cause i am sure not... you cant walk that fuckin sucks, i didnt say shit about walking or anything... i am talking abo-...you know this is a battle i dont even want to win. ok ok nismo you win you win. you have a worse life than me.
Jordan
QUOTE(nismo @ Sep 18 2005, 01:28 PM)
Jordan, in case you didn't notice, money does not equal happiness.

the fuck it doesnt.
høgh
QUOTE(Jordan @ Sep 18 2005, 10:36 PM)
are we talking about physical problems? cause i am sure not... you cant walk that fuckin sucks, i didnt say shit about walking or anything... i am talking abo-...you know this is a battle i dont even want to win. ok ok nismo you win you win. you have a worse life than me.

Hahaha, that have got to be the most emo "battle" ever!
Jordan
QUOTE(høgh @ Sep 18 2005, 01:39 PM)
QUOTE(Jordan @ Sep 18 2005, 10:36 PM)

Hahaha, that have got to be the most emo "battle" ever!

hahaha. god dammit... you're right.
nismo
QUOTE(Jordan @ Sep 18 2005, 04:36 PM)
the fuck it doesnt.

So you are saying, that just because my parents are wealthy, then i should be the happiest person ever? Yeah, that is a retarted assumption. My dad is always gone at business trips or never home. Actually, that is the only downside I see. If your parents were rich, you would just buy more cigarettes and weed, so at least I am not doing drugs. But yeah, I am done with this argument. Actually, I don't even know why I argued with a stoner over money in the first place.
Jordan
QUOTE(nismo @ Sep 18 2005, 01:44 PM)
So you are saying, that just because my parents are wealthy, then i should be the happiest person ever? Yeah, that is a retarted assumption. My dad is always gone at business trips or never home. Actually, that is the only downside I see. If your parents were rich, you would just buy more cigarettes and weed, so at least I am not doing drugs. But yeah, I am done with this argument. Actually, I don't even know why I argued with a stoner over money in the first place.

thats cool man. you're life sounds totally worse. good? for you...

i dont buy weed OR cigarettes OR 300 dollar shoes.
Jordan
lock.gif
høgh
QUOTE(Jordan @ Sep 18 2005, 10:54 PM)
lock.gif

NO! NEVAR!
nismo
QUOTE(Jordan @ Sep 18 2005, 04:52 PM)

They were 250 dollars. And how do shoes even compare with weed and cigarettes? So how do you get your cigarettes and weed?
goota
QUOTE(nismo @ Sep 18 2005, 01:44 PM)
My dad is always gone at business trips or never home.

My dad hasnt been home in 12 years, and we still arent rich. I win teh emo battle!!!

both of you need to stop feeling sorry for yourselves like emo bitches. your life is a million times better than the vast majority of the world. be thankful for what you have, that you can have a car to work on or be thankful you are able to even fathom buying 250 dollar shoes.
Jordan
QUOTE(nismo @ Sep 18 2005, 02:08 PM)

They were 250 dollars. And how do shoes even compare with weed and cigarettes? So how do you get your cigarettes and weed?

friends give it to me.
moe89
QUOTE(nismo @ Sep 18 2005, 05:08 PM)

here's the deal. he is just saying that you shouldnt criticize him for not having any money while you blow a few hundred $$ on shoes. and you are saying that if he was more careful with his money (not spending it on drugs/alkyhol etc) that he wouldnt have to worry about money.

I think Fiend wins overall. thumbs_up.gif
nismo
Why? Just because my parents have money, and his doesn't? That would be like critisizing a rich guy for buying an expensive car. And I am not saying he wouldn't have to worry about money, but if he used it more wisely, he would be able to get better stuff.
Jordan
QUOTE(nismo @ Sep 18 2005, 02:53 PM)
Why? Just because my parents have money, and his doesn't?

laugh.gif
moe89
QUOTE(nismo @ Sep 18 2005, 03:53 PM)
Now you are being too cheap to buy a new alternator. What the hell?

he wasnt being cheap, it is all that he can afford. that is what got the argument started.
nismo
The part about him being cheap was also aimed towards how he was gonna put goo in his radiator, but then he did the right thing and bought a new one; which is what he should do now too.
moe89
so.... this argument was over something that no one actually said...
sweeeet
Jordan
moe. regulatiing. thanks pal. thumbs_up.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.