Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: B9 Tribeca vs Murano
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Mr b00st
i thought there was a big similarity in these two SUV's... both have odd styling, are made for on-road use, and have interesting mechanical bits. in the case of the Murano, it's a high-capacity CVT (unique in this business) and in the case of the B9 it's a horizontally opposed flat six for lower CoG and better handling.

which do you like better?

for comparison purposes, we're comparing 5-passenger Tribeca to Murano since murano is 5 passenger only.

Subaru B9 Tribeca Limited 5-passenger
MSRP: $32,920

engine: H6 (horizontally opposed), front longitudinal mount
displacement: 3.0L
valvetrain: DOHC 24v
horsepower: 250@6600
torque: 219@4200

trans: 5A
Drive: symmetric AWD
towing: 3500lbs max

Nissan Murano SE AWD
MSRP: $31,200

engine: V6, front longitudinal mount (VQ35DE)
displacement: 3.5L
Valvetrain: DOHC 24v
horsepower: 245@5800
torque: 246@4400

trans: CVT
drive: AWD
towing: 3500lbs max

moe89
Murano. roughly the same size, same space inside, same amount of options available, probably similarly quick, and both probably handle ok. But the Tribeca looks sooooooooo much worse on the outside.
dukenukem
The Tribecca is wayyy too ugly for me. Hell, i would buy a Kia rather than that piece of turd.
fiber optic
Nissan. It's less expensive and there's no sense spending more money than necessary on such an ugly vehicle.

Edit: And why do they call it the B9 Tribeca? Why not Tribeca or B9? tard.gif
Cyclone
I've always really liked the Murano. Of course it gets my vote. The Tribeca... although its ugly its strangly appealing for some reason.
Tirminyl
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Jul 28 2005, 05:51 PM)
The Tribeca... although its ugly its strangly appealing for some reason.

Exactly. Even though its ugly, I am drawn to it.
DakianDelomast
The Murano. Its less Trailblazer and more 350Z.
clarkma5
The B9 is ugly...but so is the Murano. I also hate Nissan. The VQ is a crappy engine in my book, the interior is awful, and...well, it's not a Subaru.
chillinmofo1
Murano because I wouldn't feel like a freak driving it.

btw, I love Nissan. 10 best engine 10 yrs running, smooth fast, reliable engine. What more do you need?
Keitero-sama
Its hard to say. The Nissan's ride is very, very smooth. The Subaru has a nicer interior. But the Nissan looks better IMO (well, cept for the chrome teeth). But then again, the Subaru does have a better engine (lower center of gravity and more HP). Its a toss up for me.
nismo
I heart the exhaust note on the MURANO.
moe89
QUOTE(nismo @ Jul 28 2005, 06:14 PM)
I heart the exhaust note on the MURANO.

nissans and Infiniti's are the WEIRDEST sounding cars that i have ever heard in normal driving thumbs_up.gif . They sound much different at high speeds though.
Megadeus
Between the 2, I'd have to pick the Tribeca, even though I hate the front end. The Murano looks too much like a 4-dr AMC Gremlin to me. tongue_crossed-eyes.gif
Mitlov
Tribeca by a landslide.

EXTERIOR: They're both ugly. I actually think that the Tribeca is less ugly than the Murano, but they're both ugly, so this doesn't have much weight.

INTERIOR: Tribeca is sooooo much nicer than Murano. In my opinion, interior looks are at least as important than exterior, because you're IN the interior when you're driving. You can't see the car's grill from the driver's seat.

HANDLING: The Tribeca's lower center of gravity gives it this one easy.

ENGINE: Nissan Murano will be undoubtedly smoother, especially with a CVT transmission. Horsepower is nearly equal. Nissan gets better fuel milage thanks to the CVT. Nissan wins this one.

PERSONAL BRAND PREFERENCE: I like Subarus; I hate Nissans.
McKhaos
I test drove a Murano and I really liked it . The handling is ok and the engine is preety nippy .
What I would do if I got one is take off that ugly ass chorme gille and replace it with a black mesh one .
snakefood
think i would take the nissan, it looks much better as the subaru.
soarer
why isn there a "Id rather be shot than to be seen in any of thoes cars" option
duality
the murano...subaru looks rather ewww.
Giancarlo
The Murano for sure. My brother rented it, and it's a nice little SUV. Quick too.
A32
My vote would be the Murano. The Tribeca's exterior styling is foul.

I really don't understand what you guys are talking about with the sound of a VQ. Mine sounds pretty "normal" to me. I don't know.
ShinRa
The B means Boxer for boxer engine, and 9 is the model number.
moe89
QUOTE(A32 @ Jul 29 2005, 09:11 AM)
My vote would be the Murano. The Tribeca's exterior styling is foul.

I really don't understand what you guys are talking about with the sound of a VQ. Mine sounds pretty "normal" to me. I don't know.

which Nissan/Infiniti do you own? I've heard most of the Infiniti's and Nissans on the highway, in tunnels, around town, and they all sound unusual if you floor it. At high speeds, they actually sound pretty sweet.
A32
QUOTE(moe89 @ Jul 29 2005, 12:28 PM)
which Nissan/Infiniti do you own?  I've heard most of the Infiniti's and Nissans on the highway, in tunnels, around town, and they all sound unusual if you floor it.  At high speeds, they actually sound pretty sweet.

I have a 4th gen nissan maxima(A32). I think it sounds really good with the weapon r intake I have on it.
Mr b00st
btw, i voted for the Tribeca because of the interior and lack of CVT. i hate CVT's, they feel like rubber bands...
clarkma5
QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Jul 30 2005, 08:20 PM)
btw, i voted for the Tribeca because of the interior and lack of CVT. i hate CVT's, they feel like rubber bands...

I've heard the CVT in the Murano sucks, but the CVT in my friend's A4 is absolutely brilliant. It's heads above any standard automatic...the only two-pedal car that I think could ever compete with it would be one with DSG, but I've never driven a DSG-mobile so I cannot say for sure. But the CVT is excellent in that car.
DZ302
i guess i prefer the murano. the murano looks like a spaceship, whereas the tribeca looks like the alien who would pilot it.

they are both butt ugly though
Renesis
As much as I hate the front end of the Tribeca, I voted for it because the Murano is ugly, dated and it's interior SUCKS.

Atleast the Tribeca has got a nice interior.
Boxster17
Pretty much the same thing Rensis said, the front end is horrible, but I don't mind the rest so much. I'm sick of the Murano and never been a fan...Tribeca got my vote.
White RSX
Usually in a shitty poll like this I'd respond with "Suicide" "Murderous rampage" or even "Freeze my balls in liquid nitrogen and bang them on a wall"

But this time, I'm at a loss for what words to use to describe the massive, horrible, excruciating pain I'd put myself through before I consider either of these.
Black RSX
I've seen a Subaru B9 in person... (same with the Murano).

The Subaru just looks coold to me... the interior is way better.. and it has a history of AWD performance behind it.
Sant'Agata
I would go with Murano.
msd
thumbs_down.gif
I have Murano 2006 have high power engine 3.5 but very very bad ( cvt transmission ) it is disappointed me because if your transmission need to small repair the Nissan say you must replace the cvt and its cost you around 5800$ becaut you can't make any repair for this stupid cvt transmission
McKhaos
You no have clue about you talk about. You must die.
clarkma5
QUOTE(msd @ Aug 5 2007, 04:33 AM) *
thumbs_down.gif
I have Murano 2006 have high power engine 3.5 but very very bad ( cvt transmission ) it is disappointed me because if your transmission need to small repair the Nissan say you must replace the cvt and its cost you around 5800$ becaut you can't make any repair for this stupid cvt transmission

QUOTE(McKhaos @ Aug 5 2007, 10:35 AM) *
You no have clue about you talk about. You must die.

While his grammar is atrocious and he bumped a thread that's more than two years old, he IS right...the CVT is too complex for dealers to service, and is thus treated as a sealed unit, so if anything goes wrong with it, the whole thing must be replaced. My friend had to have the CVT in his Audi replaced at about 11,000 miles due to a problem with how the transmission disengaged when coming to a stop...simply put, it wouldn't in some situations, which was akin to coming to a dead stop with the clutch engaged...aka, it stalled the engine. So the whole thing had to be replaced (fortunately for him, free of charge, but it would've been on the high side of $4000 if he had had to pay).
WardLarson
what's with new members bumping 2+ year old topics lately?
Tony Two Shoes
QUOTE(WardLarson @ Aug 5 2007, 02:45 PM) *

I dunno. It is getting really fucking annoying though.
dukenukem
QUOTE(WardLarson @ Aug 5 2007, 02:45 PM) *

Because if they didnt then they wouldnt be noobs.
msd
The CVT in the Murano is a Van Doorne push belt type manufactured by JATCO
http://www.lasercannon.com/cvt.htm
this why nissan can't make any repair for this cvt i hope in future thay can repair the cvt ( at this time we no need to replaced the whole cvt transmission 5800$ )
clarkma5
QUOTE(msd @ Aug 6 2007, 11:37 PM) *
The CVT in the Murano is a Van Doorne push belt type manufactured by JATCO
http://www.lasercannon.com/cvt.htm
this why nissan can't make any repair for this cvt i hope in future thay can repair the cvt ( at this time we no need to replaced the whole cvt transmission 5800$ )

Just because it's made by another company doesn't mean they don't know how to service it; many transmissions are made by other companies. ZF and GM are huge suppliers for automatics, Tremec and Getrag for manuals, and goodness knows there are many otherss (including the fact that the latest version of the Porsche Tiptronic S, at least in the 911 range, is a 5-speed Mercedes auto). Yet you can take a 996 Turbo Tiptronic or a Dodge Viper or a BMW 330i to their dealer and have the transmission serviced.
msd
I know many transmissions are made by other companies but why Nissan haven't svt transmission serviced they push me to replaced ??
dukenukem
QUOTE(msd @ Aug 8 2007, 01:04 AM) *
I know many transmissions are made by other companies but why Nissan haven't svt transmission serviced they push me to replaced ??

Its the punishment for buying a Murano Raspberry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.