Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche Cayman S
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Frozen
Pages: 1, 2, 3
leif
Porsche Cayman S

the Boxster Coupe has been rumored about since the boxster first debuded in the late 90's...and is finally a reality

to go on sale in the first part of 2006, the Cayman S is powerd by a 3.4L flat six, derived from the current 3.6L engine found in the Carrera. The engine will produce almost 300BHP and propel the car from 0-100km/h in ~5.4 seconds with a top speed of 275km/h.

Autovisie
Frozen. Just look at it.

It has the looks, the racing pedigree (sp?) and last but not least a roof thumbs_up.gif
Raven
Frozen, but the price? Isn't expensive?
Renningrad
Ive never seen an uncool Porsche, Even the Cayenne is awesome
høgh
QUOTE(Renningrad @ May 25 2005, 05:57 PM)
Ive never seen an uncool Porsche, Even the Cayenne is awesome

Agreed! But this is way more cool then the Cayenne.
arnge
Porsche , rules man.
fiber optic
Edmunds.com has a few pics of a black one with gold wheels. Man oh man this receives the Franky's Frozen Figs award for coolness. :heart:
Renningrad
I was about to post how I dislike those rims but it grew on me a second after i typed the word "I"
z0ne
uber fucking leet.
moe89
lol, you know that you can make the Boxster S up to over $100K, that is more than the Carrera S with a few options. So it makes you think about what you are really paying for, why not just save up a little and buy a Carrera with out any options??
Phix
QUOTE(moe89 @ May 25 2005, 09:02 PM)
lol, you know that you can make the Boxster S up to over $100K, that is more than the Carrera S with a few options. So it makes you think about what you are really paying for, why not just save up a little and buy a Carrera with out any options??

Uh, what? Man, I'm just waiting for Renningard's reply to you.
Boxster17
Where do you get these figures from moe? Because I just went to check that out and I got it up to about 72k with all options (custom colors and everything) on the 'build a porsche' thing. Unless you're buying extra stuff from Tequipment or there's 30k worth of options they don't tell you about, I'm not sure where you're getting over 100k...

Anyways, I think this car is frozen!
moe89
QUOTE(Boxster17 @ May 25 2005, 06:53 PM)
Where do you get these figures from moe? Because I just went to check that out and I got it up to about 72k with all options (custom colors and everything) on the 'build a porsche' thing. Unless you're buying extra stuff from Tequipment or there's 30k worth of options they don't tell you about, I'm not sure where you're getting over 100k...

Anyways, I think this car is frozen!

there is A LOT of other things that are very expensive, the ceramic brakes option costs around $9K! I have got it to $103K or $104K
Don't believe me?
leif
Personally given the kind of driving I do I am seriously tempted by the cayman...but part of me also knows I would always wish I had a 911...and would probaly regret not shelling out the additonal 15-20K for the car I really want. Dont get me wrong, I still think the boxster/cayman chassis is the better of the 2, its just that with the 911 your buying into 41 years of history...

and moe...yes technically if you add every friggin option under the sun you can have the boxster price up to that of the carrera...but that dosent mean you should just buy the carrera...thats moronic logic
moe89
QUOTE(leif @ May 26 2005, 04:04 AM)
Personally given the kind of driving I do I am seriously tempted by the cayman...but part of me also knows I would always wish I had a 911...and would probaly regret not shelling out the additonal 15-20K for the car I really want. Dont get me wrong, I still think the boxster/cayman chassis is the better of the 2, its just that with the 911 your buying into 41 years of history...

and moe...yes technically if you add every friggin option under the sun you can have the boxster price up to that of the carrera...but that dosent mean you should just buy the carrera...thats moronic logic

i'm just pointing out that the Cayman will cost more than the Boxster S and with a minimal amount of options will cost just under what a 911 costs. So i guess the Cayman is useful, but only if it is the stripped version, if not it would cost too much.
Jordan
Moe, you act like the 911 doesnt have these SAME options.
moe89
no, i am well aware that it does. What i am saying is that would you want a Cayman with a few options or a completely stripped 911?
Jordan
QUOTE(moe89 @ May 26 2005, 06:44 PM)
no, i am well aware that it does. What i am saying is that would you want a Cayman with a few options or a completely stripped 911?

Well, being a fan I would want the 911. But if i was buying a porsche only for the name, i would get the cayman because i could get more luxury for the money.
leif
QUOTE(moe89 @ May 26 2005, 01:28 PM)
i'm just pointing out that the Cayman will cost more than the Boxster S and with a minimal amount of options will cost just under what a 911 costs. So i guess the Cayman is useful, but only if it is the stripped version, if not it would cost too much.

you call every option avalable minimal?

the cayman is directed towards someone who is more intrested in a pure sports car, like a TVR Customer...while the carrera is more of a multi purpose vehicle...its a sports car, a GT, a luxury cruiser...just like ferry porsche intended.

I know these adds are trying to portray it as a "practical sports car" but to be honest this is simply to apease the wife who dosent want her husband buying another roadster with room enough for a tooth brush.
Jordan
QUOTE(leif @ May 26 2005, 09:56 PM)

the cayman is directed towards someone who is more intrested in a pure sports car, like a TVR Customer...while the carrera is more of a multi purpose vehicle...its a sports car, a GT, a luxury cruiser...just like ferry porsche intended.

I know these adds are trying to portray it as a "practical sports car" but to be honest this is simply to apease the wife who dosent want her husband buying another roadster with room enough for a tooth brush.

a sports car is like a mistress, they are expensive, finley tuned, and if you push them to hard and break...your wife finds out what you've been doing.

thats the joy of a sports car, all the hard work maintaining it, then you go for a fun drive and you get heads turning and you just have FUN.
goota
well it looks like a porsche...

uncool.
snakefood
i like this porsche, but i think its much too expensive!
moe89
QUOTE(snakefood @ May 27 2005, 12:35 AM)
i like this porsche, but i think its much too expensive!

thats my point, why buy this over the Boxster? Is it really worth the extra $$$
Easton
Frozen, I would seriously consider buying this car if I was in the market.
moe89
QUOTE(leif @ May 26 2005, 08:56 PM)

cool paint costs a few grand, and getting a nicer interior costs a bit more. It does add up pretty fast.
leif
you had metalic paint, the most expensive wheels, PCM PSAM, PSM, PCCB, sport chrono plus, triptronic S, painted rool hoops, ajustable sport seats, Carbon fiber interior trim, super expensive leather.

Why in the hell are you even buying a porsche if you want to fit all of that crap to it? why dont you buy a mercedes? its the ultimate conflict of interest, getting all that crap, "uh I want a sporty car which is weighed down by all the luxury junk i can order"

A friend of mine aparently (i didnt check in to this cuz it was stupid) was able to order an 80,000K Pontiac GP...after fitting every option GM performance parts offers. but whats the point? why take a crappy car and bring it up to the level of a good car?

why take a sports car and try to turn it into a luxury car?

and need i remind you, if you want all of that Kit on your car, its not standard on the carrera...so you would have to kit out a carrera with it as well...in which case it would be well beyond sticker...

your argument is feeble

why buy this over a boxster

If you dont understand that then you have missed the whole point of this car
Autovisie
QUOTE(leif @ May 27 2005, 08:38 PM)
you had metalic paint, the most expensive wheels, PCM PSAM, PSM, PCCB, sport chrono plus, triptronic S, painted rool hoops, ajustable sport seats, Carbon fiber interior trim, super expensive leather.

Why in the hell are you even buying a porsche if you want to fit all of that crap to it? why dont you buy a mercedes? its the ultimate conflict of interest, getting all that crap, "uh I want a sporty car which is weighed down by all the luxury junk i can order"

Most of the options you mentioned aren't crap. Thay are nice to have and some even are performance parts.
leif
True ehough, most of the options were things which would make the car a track day hero, but its a Boxster...not a GT3...If you want a track day car, spend 60K on a GT3 mk I, if you want a luxury car buy a lexus...dont spend 100K on a Boxster and try to have both...

anyone who kits out there boxster with all of that stuff is a poser or a drug dealer...
moe89
I get the point, but is it really worth the extra cash? And i added all the options to see how high i can make the price jump happy2.gif . But some of the stuff i added was for aesthetic (sp?) reasons and don't really weigh the car as much as it makes it look better. I would get some of them since i dont really love the looks of the Cayman to begin with, You get more in the 911 which i would leave just as it is. I guess it is just a matter of prefrence.
Jordan
QUOTE(moe89 @ May 29 2005, 04:45 PM)
I get the point, but is it really worth the extra cash? And i added all the options to see how high i can make the price jump happy2.gif . But some of the stuff i added was for aesthetic (sp?) reasons and don't really weigh the car as much as it makes it look better. I would get some of them since i dont really love the looks of the Cayman to begin with, You get more in the 911 which i would leave just as it is. I guess it is just a matter of prefrence.

no shit. thats why there are thousand and thousands of cars out there. if it wasnt a matter of personal preference we would all have the SAME FUCKING CAR.

and leif, most of those things like the carbon fibre interior, PCCB dont weight the car down, they actually make it lighter, and the PCM just replaces the center console. and PSM dont weight ANYTHING, its software.
duality
seriously uncool...i mean really.
sick.gif thumbs_down.gif
Renningrad
QUOTE(duality @ May 30 2005, 07:51 AM)
seriously uncool...i mean really.
sick.gif thumbs_down.gif

how so? it's a cheap 911 for the masses

theres going to be a variety of tuning applications in the future that I'm predicting

why is you n00bs always bash the cheap sports car, what the hell is wrong with you people?
porschedream
Frozen, they've incorped the Boxster and Carrera in 1 and it still looks nice and performs well thumbs_up.gif
Dweezil
Uncool if you take into account the talk that it would be more racing oriented than the 911, and it turns out it really isn't going to be that light.

If you didn't assume it was going to be some super lightweight xtreme Porsche, then it's cool. It looks good save for the center exhaust, it's cheap and it's a Porsche.
leif
porsche never release the racing version first, always the base models

(the current trends with the S being released first/alongside the base model is very new...and the cayanne turbo coming around first was because porsche needed to prove it was a contender right off of the hop)

there are rumors of a Cayman RS, which would most likely come with PSAM, PCCB, aero extras and a full/ half roll cage, and with out all of the sound insulation, stereo (still avalable as an option) and other crap. It probaly wont have an engine upgrade though, as eben minor tweeking will push it past the carrera.

I have suspected from he beggining that this car is ment to provide porsche with a car which can contend in endurance racing along side the 360 (430) modenas and M3 GTRs.

I know porsche currently flogs the ferraris however there is an inherent flaw in the rear engine setup of the porsche carrera, and a mid engine chassis would give them a better base to work their magic with.
Dweezil
QUOTE(leif @ May 31 2005, 06:24 PM)
porsche never release the racing version first, always the base models

I wasn't talking about any racing version. A lot of Porsche 'enthusiasts' were describing it as being a lightweight in your face cheaper 911. It looks now like it'll be 2800+, which is kind of a disappointment. I like the car anyway.
Raziel
Damn, I need an option between cool and uncool. A Porsche's never really bad, but this one just looks strange...
Renningrad
QUOTE(Dweezil @ May 30 2005, 02:21 PM)
If you didn't assume it was going to be some super lightweight xtreme Porsche, then it's cool.

it's a Boxster coupe , what the hell where you people expecting?
PandaBeat
Only frozen Porsche.
Considering the price there's no way I'd pick it over the Corvette C6 Z06.
porschedream
What?!? CGT, GT2 are not frozen?
PandaBeat
QUOTE(porschedream @ Jun 14 2005, 03:31 PM)
What?!? CGT, GT2 are not frozen?

Well I made a mistake, the GT3 and the GT3 RS are frozen. CGT= no, GT2 = no.
porschedream
QUOTE(PandaBeat @ Jun 14 2005, 07:54 PM)
Well I made a mistake, the GT3 and the GT3 RS are frozen. CGT= no, GT2 = no.

eek.gif
moe89
the 911 turbo isnt cool?
DakianDelomast
Aircooled 911 Turbo - Cool
Watercooled 911 Turbo - Uncool
moe89
/\/\/\ hey, you've got a cool avatar!
DakianDelomast
I made it to commemorate my return to DS
moe89
wouldnt be more fitting to commemorate the Revenge instead of the Return? <-- my attempt at being clever
leif
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Jun 15 2005, 10:31 AM)

come on...Porsche had to move to Water cooling to meet emmisions standards only possible with 4 valves per...you cant fault them...the cars are the best they have ever been (im talking on the whole...there have been blips which have been better...ie the 2.7 Carrera RS original!)

so come on...and give them a break!
AgaBoogaBoo
Definitely frozen no doubt!
DakianDelomast
QUOTE(leif @ Jun 15 2005, 11:58 AM)
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Jun 15 2005, 10:31 AM)

come on...Porsche had to move to Water cooling to meet emmisions standards only possible with 4 valves per...you cant fault them...the cars are the best they have ever been (im talking on the whole...there have been blips which have been better...ie the 2.7 Carrera RS original!)

so come on...and give them a break!

Being an amazing car with wonderful handling characteristics and a brilliant engine still does not make a car cool.

If I saw someone pull up in a pristine 996 Turbo I would be inclined to think: "That's a twit" Cause lets face it, most rich boys with daddy's money would enjoy a new Porsche Turbo. However.

If I saw someone pull up in a pristine 964 Turbo I would be inclined to think: "That guy rocks." Because to own such a car, you have to have a love for the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.