Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lotec Sirius
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Uncool
moe89

"After several false starts, it's just about conceivable that VW's Bugatti Veyron might finally appear next year. Meanwhile, at the other end of Germany, Lotec has rolled out its own spectacular supercar with nearly as much power, considerably less weight, and an even longer gestation.

If a rich hobbyist had built the Sirius, you might doubt its credentials, but Kurt Lotterschmid, the driving force behind Lotec, has a distinguished racing background (he won the German Group C2 Championship title back in 1983).

In 1992, Lotterschmid made a one-off supercar called the Lotec C1000. Weighing just 1080kg, it was powered by an 854bhp road-legal version of the Sauber C9 Le Mans sports prototype's twin-turbo Mercedes V8, and its 235mph top speed blitzed every big-name supercar bar the McLaren F1. I rode in the C1000 on the autobahn back then, days before a member of Sheikh Mahktoum's family produced a big cheque and whipped it away.

The cheque hardly had time to clear before Lotterschmid revealed a quarter-scale model of the (then) futuristic-looking Sirius. But for lack of funds the car would have been ready in 1995, yet nearly a decade overdue the Sirius still looks neat, with smooth, homogeneous contours that make the Carrera GT and Enzo look over-styled.

Construction is carbonfibre over a tubular steel frame but the profusion of creature comforts like air-conditioning and power-steering mean the Sirius tips the scales at 1390kg, which is Porsche GT3 territory. Kurt describes his second supercar effort as more civilised than its predecessor, but you'd still have to be pretty hard-boiled to own one.

To get in gracefully, you sit on the deep sill, grab the door opening and then slide yourself forwards into a cabin that feels more well-trimmed sports-prototype than GT. The instrument pack is Porsche 944 Turbo (a legacy from when the car was to have Porsche power), with the speedo recalibrated to 400kph (249mph).

The prototype Sirius uses the same basic 48-valve 6-litre Mercedes-Benz V12 that powers the Pagani Zonda, and with the compression ratio lowered to 8.5:1 and twin KKK K27 turbos boosting at 0.85 bar, it produces 850bhp at 6000rpm and a whopping 737lb ft of torque at 3800rpm." - EVO magazine

Extremely Cool to me(same reasons as B.Engineering Edonis)
ultra rare/ultra fast/ultra good looking. I remember back in 6th grade, i somehow golt my hands on a kinda rare-ish calendar with HUGE pics of this the Edonis, Veyron etc. But it got thrown away X.gif . Anyway this is a blast from the past for me, and that by itself makes it one of the coolest cool.gif
clarkma5
How many of these were made? 'cuz I'm thinkin' it's a one-off unless it's had an appreciable production run...
Renningrad
none of these unsuccesful supercars are cool, they're just another drop in Ferrari's Bucket
moe89
there were 10 or so made, you have to custom order them
arnge
I dont really like it.
Raven
I'm sure it's amazing to drive and it's very exclusive, but the looks aren't good enough.
snakefood
i donīt like it!
Halflifehavock13
it looks like it borrowed the koenigsegg's head lights. But, its nothing extra special though.
moe89
this is definately not going the way it should be!, it will end up in UNCOOL, which it is not. thumbs_down.gif
clarkma5
QUOTE(moe89 @ Apr 26 2005, 10:55 AM)
this is definately not going the way it should be!, it will end up in UNCOOL, which it is not. thumbs_down.gif

It's called "differing opinions".
Phix
drool3.gif
moe89
yea thats what i was getting at!
PandaBeat
Goodlooking wheels. The rest is hideous. MJU.
A32
I voted Very Cool. A car being this unique would definitely be cool.
Black RSX
Kinda ugly.... but it does have a little bit of a brut look to it...

Eh..... freaked.gif
Espen
Looks awful, absolutely dreadful.

Yet it does everything so well - plenty of well balanced downforce, high tech suspention design right out of a formula racers book, insanely powerful engine, super stiff chassis... it's all right yet so poorly executed dry.gif

Intriguing. They certainly don't sell for the name or the looks. Perhaps it's somewhat frisky to drive? tongue.gif
midnightdorifto
Exactly what a supercar should be. Obscure, performs to a God-like standard, and doesn't have its balls licked by every 12-year-old a la McLaren...
PandaBeat
QUOTE(midnightdorifto @ May 4 2005, 02:08 PM)
Exactly what a supercar should be. Obscure, performs to a God-like standard, and doesn't have its balls licked by every 12-year-old a la McLaren...

Shutup dumbass.
moe
Honestly I really like it. The styling may not be super-clean or anything, but it looks "cool." I like obscure supercars because they're striking to look at. Also imagine pulling up in one of these. It's not just another Ferrari or Lambo, it gets people looking and thinking. With a Ferrari or Lambo it's like "Whoa! Look at that Diablo!" but with this it's like "WHOA! What is it?" But then again, that's just me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.