Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Camera Mount Test
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Alt.Binaries
clarkma5
So I ordered a camera mount last monday and it FINALLY came this afternoon, so I tested it out a bit...

right click, save target as:

CamMountTest.wmv (6 megs)

Now, this video isn't that good, but I learned a lot from it. For starters, I thought it was a good idea to get the hood of the car in the lower part of the frame (so there was some reference) but the reflections turned out to be confusing when cornering and it ate up too much of the screen...which I need to show more high-up stuff. Throughout the video, everything's sorta cut off at the top. I definitely need some sort of fuzzy thing to cover the microphone on my camcorder with...above about 20 MPH, the wind noise takes over. I edited out MOST of the bad wind-noise stuff, but there's still a lot more than I'd like. And although I did a pretty good job of securing the camcorder lens cover thing, I can do better...it clinked around a BIT in the beginning of the video.

But having said that, I think this video shows the potential of having a wacky camera mount. The sensation of speed is so much better than in other videos I've done (I think I top out at about 45 or 50 MPH in this video, while in other videos I've hit nearly double that and it looked like I wasn't moving at all). With a proper microphone cover of some sort, and a better mounting job (not showing the hood) it could be really cool. Also, the camera mount is very strong but not quite as stable as I was hoping for.

The camera mount:

(approximately) where it was mounted for the video:

So, I think I learned a lot from this little test, but more suggestions and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks to Dakian for sending me the link to this thing so I could buy it.
White RSX
Stickypod?
clarkma5
QUOTE(White RSX @ Apr 6 2005, 08:45 PM)
Stickypod?

...they just called it a "triple cup suction mount". Stickypod's catchier, though.
White RSX
Mount the camera so we can see what's ahead. I don't care what your hood looks like tongue.gif
goota
ahahahah YES! i can imagine the posibilities now! WEEEEEEEEE
clarkma5
QUOTE(White RSX @ Apr 6 2005, 08:49 PM)
Mount the camera so we can see what's ahead. I don't care what your hood looks like tongue.gif

That's the plan. Just watching the vid makes my head hurt a bit...the reflections make it seem like the camera is moving independent of the car...it's totally whoa tard.gif
Cyclone
God damn, your shifter throw is long as feck. And that shift into 2nd SUCKED! What was that button you were pressing?
fiber optic
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Apr 7 2005, 02:28 AM)
And that shift into 2nd SUCKED! What was that button you were pressing?

ASR (Anti-Slip Regulation)
Viper007Bond
Pfft, what a weak burnout. tongue.gif
porschedream
What kind of car are you driving?
Cyclone
QUOTE(porschedream @ Apr 7 2005, 06:57 AM)

You dont know what clarkma drives?!
RockStaRRR
where can i get one of those and how much ????
goota
QUOTE(porschedream @ Apr 7 2005, 03:57 AM)

WHAT THEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he drives a (2002??) GTI 1.8T
McKhaos
Have the camera to film your face when you take high G corners .
fiber optic
QUOTE(McKhaos @ Apr 7 2005, 10:45 AM)
Have the camera to film your face when you take high G corners .

It will look like Paulie D's icon. laugh.gif

Edit: Did you get any weird looks from other driver's driving around town with the "thing" on your windshield?
bankE46
mount the camera lower on the car, way back when i made a wrx video, we mounted the camera in the opening next to the license plate, and it really felt fast as the pavement whipped by. is it not recommended to plant it horizontally on the car? like just in front of the front tire?
nismo
I HOPE YOU DON'T TRUST THAT WITH YOUR DIGITAL REBEL ON IT! I don't even let anyone use mine but me!
clarkma5
haha, yeah my shifter's long but it's smooth and light and I like it.

The shift into second sucked because I peeled out, so my tach swung to redline, which meant my speed went to 40 MPH (which is the end of my 1st gear) so I was like "Great! Time to shift!" and I let out the clutch and the speed immediately goes down to about 25 and I realize that the speedo was lying to me due to the lack of traction...so I just stick it into second anyway, and it was like "blah".

it was one of the many reasons why this video is a test. (yes, I know the burnout was weak...I wasn't really trying too hard.)

And goota: my car is a 2004, my last one was an '02.

Fiber: Yeah, lots of people stared at me, although some didn't. I didn't really care.

Nismo: I think I do trust my digital rebel on it; the camera mount is REALLY strong and, especially if I have some sort of safety tether, I don't think it'll be a problem with the digital rebel...especially because any shots I take with the rebel on this mount will be looow speed (15 MPH tops).

Bankie: I'm looking to mount it low down on the side, just behind the left-front wheel. The mount isn't really good for mounting the camera on the front of the car like you did, although I may try it.

RockSTARRR: The camera mount cost $50 and I got it from Racer Parts Warehouse in Indiana (thanks to Dakian for telling me about them). I was kinda pissed about how long it took them to get it to me, though (ordered it monday, they shipped it on Thursday, and it finally arrived tuesday evening).
soarer
QUOTE(BankieVR6 @ Apr 8 2005, 05:36 AM)
mount the camera lower on the car, way back when i made a wrx video, we mounted the camera in the opening next to the license plate, and it really felt fast as the pavement whipped by. is it not recommended to plant it horizontally on the car? like just in front of the front tire?

my dad does that for when we go racing around the race track its like GT4 view lol
Renesis
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Apr 7 2005, 06:44 AM)
ASR (Anti-Slip Regulation)

I love how he turns it back one just as soon as he's done, like if he was affraid of crashing or something laugh.gif rolleyes.gif
clarkma5
QUOTE(Renesis @ Apr 11 2005, 04:20 PM)
I love how he turns it back one just as soon as he's done, like if he was affraid of crashing or something laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

When it's off there's an annoying orange light in the instrument cluster...when I don't need ASR off, I like it to be on to get rid of that light.
Jordan
if you're mounting your camera outside... you better make sure those suctions cups are STRONG! i wouldn't want my new baby to go skippin cross the road at 50 mph... X.gif
clarkma5
QUOTE(Fiend @ Apr 11 2005, 07:50 PM)
if you're mounting your camera outside... you better make sure those suctions cups are STRONG! i wouldn't want my new baby to go skippin cross the road at 50 mph... X.gif

the suction cups are plenty strong...
nismo
What about birds or pedestrians? If you hit one of them, say goodbye to your camera! tongue.gif
clarkma5
...I have no intention of hitting any birds...

Pedestrians on the other hand DS_Naughty2.gif
z0ne
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Apr 7 2005, 03:07 PM)
haha, yeah my shifter's long but it's smooth and light and I like it.

aaaaaahahaha

oh man i need to go to bed
Phix
QUOTE(z0ne @ Apr 11 2005, 11:10 PM)
aaaaaahahaha

oh man i need to go to bed

*highfives* thumbs_up.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.