Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jaguar XJ220
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Frozen
moe89

In the early 1980s, a new British Government decided to privatize Jaguar. Led by its Chairman, Sir John Egan, Jaguar climbed toward independence, improving quality, value, and reputation along the way. By 1984, with the Series 3 XJ6 replacement nearing production, Jaguar engineers sought a new challenge. Design Chief Jim Randle conceived a car that would surpass Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porsche - the world's fastest road car. It would be a pure 2 seater; spiritual heir to great Jaguar sporting cars of the past such as the SS100, XK120, and E-type, but without compromises. Sir John more or less said "do it, but on your own time you crazy engineers!" Randle and his 12-member team then developed the car as a Saturday Club project. The Saturday Club took on many projects, including a station wagon XJ6, but that's another story. The resulting prototype was unveiled as the XJ220 concept car at the 1988 Birmingham Auto Show. The 220 referred to the car's planned top speed. In 1989, Jaguar announced XJ220 would be built. It was to use the best talents of Jaguar's design team, its racing technology that won at LeMans in 1988 and 1990, and the metal fabricators that built up bodies for the great Jaguar models of the past.
In 1991, the XJ220 was put into limited production. The Birmingham XJ220 featured a DOHC, 48-valve V12. Tom Walkinshaw and TWR Racing replaced the V12 with a 542 bhp twin turbo V6. Abbey Panels fabricated the bodies. When introduced, the XJ220 became the world's fastest production car. Jaguar had trouble selling all 275 cars built (yes, it was expensive) and a few new ones were sold at substantial discounts. The car was never sold in the US, which hurt the sales prospects.
The engine is underneath the rear window, with a tiny boot at the rear of the car. The nose is mostly taken up by the cooling system. The styling is driven by the mid engine configuration and by high-speed aerodynamics. The car was never certified for sale in the US, but recent changes in US regulations have allowed a few cars to be privately imported. The photos show an XJ220 owned by Terry Larson, by Gary Bartlett of OSJI, and one that was recently offered for sale by Seattle's Cosmopolitan Motors. The contrast between the XJ220 and its prewar ancestor, the SS100, is dramatic. In some ways they are less different than they appear - both are 3.5 liter, six-cylinder, two passenger cars that mark milestones for Jaguar...

FRom http://www.seattlejagclub.org/xj220.html

This to me was amazing and sweet car and is definatley frozen
DakianDelomast
Its a big larry group B engined impractical supercar.

Cool.
moe89
There is only one practical supercar that was amazing-the F1

All the rest have to be impractical, its what makes them awesome
DakianDelomast
The F1 is boring wink.gif
moe89
and I suppose your RX-7 isn't... wink.gif

(im not saying that I have an F1 or anything)
DakianDelomast
My RX-7 shoots foot long fireballs. How could that ever be boring?

Ps: Bringing someone's own car into an arguement is the most bitch of the bitchiest things to do.
PandaBeat
Carmen Electra is un-cool? WTF!
DakianDelomast
Carmen electra is "hot"
moe89
Carmen electra is "hot"

damn right she is

Ps: Bringing someone's own car into an arguement is the most bitch of the bitchiest things to do.

sorry, i really didn't know if you had an RX-7 or not
i just judged by your avatar...
dukenukem
people need to be taught what is hot and what is not angry.gif
wub.gif to carmen
moe89
Im saying that Carmen is hot
the opposite of coool
PandaBeat
It's cool.
dukenukem
ok moe needs some edumacation

carmen being hot is not the opposite of "cool" ... her hottness is a cool thing ... now Janet Reno in a thong is more appropriate... get it ?

and can anyone say massive turbo lag cool ?
DakianDelomast
Poll options edited for clarity.
Autovisie
It's soo ugly.. Ugly but seriously cool.
moe89

carmen being hot is not the opposite of "cool" ... her hottness is a cool thing ... now Janet Reno in a thong is more appropriate... get it ?

how is HOT not the OPPOSITE of COLD?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
spitfire

happy2.gif
dukenukem
QUOTE(moe89 @ Mar 26 2005, 10:34 AM)

how is HOT not the OPPOSITE of COLD?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

would you prefer Carmen Electra or your school cafeteria lady ?? use the analogy with babe hottness and car coolness.
PandaBeat
QUOTE(kron @ Mar 26 2005, 10:39 AM)

happy2.gif

TWR = AWESOME
KarmaWeasel
It's impractical, drives like a wild animal, loud, and raw but I love the way it looks. The back just needs a little refinement and get rid of the small grill in front and it'd look perfect.
clarkma5
I've always hated it, honestly. I find it to be ugly and unimpressive technically. But cool? That's hard to choose. I'll get back to you on that.
moe89
just dont vote not cool

because-whether you love it or not-it is pretty damn cool

It held the top speed record for a few months before the F1 came out
R. Waters
too bad the V12 never made it
marcos_eirik
QUOTE(R. Waters @ Mar 26 2005, 05:26 PM)
too bad the V12 never made it

No that was actually a good thing. Because the V12 weighed about 4 times as much as the twin turbo V6. When they skeched the car they didn't had to worry about emissions standards either. After that was introduced, they discovered that it was no way they were going to get over 500 bhp from that old V12. So they got an engine out of a Metro Group B rallycar. Despite of being half the size of the V12, it develops much more of both power and torque. Because a V6 is shorter than a V12 it didn't kill the proporsions of the car. Those who have seen the prototype with the V12 said it looked hidiously streched compared to the car tat actually came out. That's the thing about this car, since it didn't get that V12, much of the people who put dow the deposit in the first place pulled out of the deal. Therefore you can still buy one with delivery milage today. And an XJ220 is quite a bargain to buy second hand, when you compare it to it's competition back then.

As for coolness i'd say sub zero. And that's the thing, it gives people hope, because it's got turbo-lag. So you can keep up with it for a very short time in a dragrace. But when the turbos bite, you must make sure you have your head fixed into the headrest. Because the XJ220's accelleration is so intense that it would slam your head into the headrest with a force so strong, it would knock you uncounscious. laugh.gif
jbzonda
ok it has some turbo-lag, and the acceleration when it kicks in would be pretty intence, but thats goin over board tongue.gif
Raven
The Jaguar XJ220 is the oldest good looking car I known.

It was bult in the 80's, right?

In that case, it's one of few old cars that I like.
moe89
It goes pretty damn fast once the turbos kick in thumbs_up.gif
PandaBeat
QUOTE(marcos_eirik @ Mar 27 2005, 01:33 AM)
As for coolness i'd say sub zero. And that's the thing, it gives people hope, because it's got turbo-lag. So you can keep up with it for a very short time in a dragrace. But when the turbos bite, you must make sure you have your head fixed into the headrest. Because the XJ220's accelleration is so intense that it would slam your head into the headrest with a force so strong, it would knock you uncounscious. laugh.gif

My Clarkson-O-Meter just went red and weeeoh-weeeoh-weeeoh....
dukenukem
QUOTE(PandaBeat @ Mar 27 2005, 06:23 PM)
My Clarkson-O-Meter just went red and weeeoh-weeeoh-weeeoh....

here in Texas we call that Baboon's ass code red loser.gif laugh.gif
350Z
It didnt get a V12 and im fairly sure it was supposed to have better breaks than it did and you could write a book waiting for those turbos. But those looks and the fact that it went that fast make it cool. Anyone know if it is still the widest supercar?
350Z
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Mar 25 2005, 06:11 PM)
My RX-7 shoots foot long fireballs. How could that ever be boring?

I agree plus the fact that the RX-7 is so obviously not boring.
snakefood
this JAG rocks!
kbtitan
Very cool. I remember seeing one of these babies pull out of a Jag dealership in Atlanta a few years back. We nearly wrecked trying to get a better peak at it. biggrin.gif
viva-la-gumball
It's a damn fine car why bother spending 100 000 pounds on a Bentley or something when you can buy one of these beauties.
duality
uber coool
Flaw
This has been my favorite car since I was 8 years old, back in Germany. I think I've gotten/unlocked/attained it in every racing game that's featured it, even though it's usually not great. Unless we're talking about old school NFS, where every car handled the same.
tune
The XJ220 is well cool! I mention it all the time, but my Dad worked for TWR and got to drive one of these around Mira (a banked circuit) awesome!

The TWR (slightly bodykitted) version looks the muts nuts too! Love it! Tom Walkinshaw got the first one as a birthday or Christmas present one year, lemon yellow, mmmmm. But Tom Walkinshaw is a Cock, I mean Jock (any difference?)
kbtitan
Freakin awesome! I was lucky enough to see one of these on the road when I lived in Atlanta. It was pulling out of a car dealership. It sounded freakin amazing...
CRiZO
At a dealer here, there is a black on, and a silver one. I pulled a U turn across traffic to look at them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.