Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1996 Chevrolet Impala SS
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Cool
Halflifehavock13
My favorite car of all time.....

I hope you all like it as much as I do....

To add some flash to its fullsize Caprice, Chevrolet brought back the Impala SS in 1994, 25 years after the last one rolled off the assembly lines in 1969. Sporting a high performance V8 and rear wheel drive, and wrapped in body work to match its performance intentions, the Impala SS was truly a modern muscle car. Though it only lasted three model years, it became an instant cult classic and a fitting tribute to the great Impala's of the 1960s.

The Impala SS debuted in 1994 as a high performance model based on the fullsize Caprice platform. It was the first four door sedan to carry the fabled "Impala SS" name (all previous SS models were coupes or convertibles), but Chevrolet made sure that it lived up to its heritage. As such, it sported rear wheel drive, a xxx inch wheelbase, and a commanding presence on the road. The Impala SS was only available in black and featured a ody-colored grille, body-color front and rear fascias, rocker moldings, door handles and key locks, taillamp moldings, body-colored raised Impala SS logos along the rear fenders, a unique rear deck-lid spoiler, and Impala emblems on the sail panels and rear deck lid. The interior featured a gray leather interior with deeply contoured front bucket seats and black statin finish on the instrument panel and door trim panels. But the heart of a muscle car is the engine, and Chevrolet didn't disappoint there. Replacing the Caprice's rather weak 180 bhp V8 was a new Corvette-derived 5.7 liter LT1 V8 with Sequential Fuel Injection, reclaibrated to deliver 260 bhp at 5,000 rpm and 330 lb-ft. of torque at 2,400 rpm. The engine was hooked up to the standard GM electronically controlled 4L60-E four speed automatic transmission with a 3.08:1 final-drive ratio and a limited slip differential. Chevrolet also added a special ride and handling suspension derived from the Chevrolet law enforcement package for its Caprices and threw in a quick-ratio power steering unit (12.7:1 vs. the standard 15.3:1 ratio). Tuned front and rear stabilizer bars and de Carbon gas-pressure shocks helped the Impala keep its composure in the twisties while massive 17" x 8.5" five-spoke cast-alloy wheels fitted with huge P255/50ZR17 tires kept the Impala SS connected to the road. Standard four-wheel, 12" diameter ventilated disc brakes and a 4-wheel anti-lock braking system brought the car to a stop if things got out of hand.
Production: 41,941 - Black: 19,085, Dark Cherry: 12,180, Gray Green: 10,676.
Engines: 350 (5.7 liter) V8 260 bhp @ 5000 rpm, 330 lb-ft @ 2400 rpm.
Performance: 0-60 in 7.1 seconds, 1/4 mile in 15.4 seconds @ 91.1 mph.

sorry for all of the info.

I gotta give credit to www.musclecarclub.com for the info.

I relisted it because Im not that good with forum stuff. I forgot to put the poll part....(sorry).
Benny
ive always had a thing for the Impala SS of said year... thumbs_up.gif
PandaBeat
kewl
NorthPoint
I can't seem to summon up pure hate for this car but its still nowhere near cool.
DakianDelomast
Gets a cool from me.
LoudPipe
Very cool. Last traditional big oldskool muscle car in my books
R. Waters
What Vader would drive
z0ne
QUOTE(R. Waters @ Mar 21 2005, 05:38 PM)
What Vader would drive

ha. you didnt steal that from an ad or anything...

DS guys, help me out in finding the ad.. its a scanned 2page advertisement with the car facing west, i beleive
capt_spaghetti
http://www.stangbangers.com/94_ChevyImpalaSS_Ad.htm
Black RSX
Love it!! Aways a big fan!! Frozen... thumbs_up.gif
clarkma5
I voted cool but I should've voted frozen...it's that perfect blend of menace and sleeper, the sort of thing that appeals to 20 year olds and 60 year olds. Something that a true enthusiast will appreciate more than anyone else, but that the commoners will see as special. I just don't like it a whole lot, personally, but it's definitely frozen.
Raven
'Uncool' - I can't see what's so special about this car. It's just another ordinary family car. dry.gif
Cyclone
It's cool...Till it's fitted with 30 lcd's, 26" rims and other stupid "BLING BLING" shit
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.