Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Honda RA302
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Frozen
Jekyll_2005
The Honda RA302 was a very innovative car with an air-cooled 120 V8 with massive potential that was never seen before. The RA302 was the type of car that has a monocoque extending towards the engine. The oil cooler was placed under teh front cowl to avoid a fluent air stream around the car.

The manufacturer had been suffering with its previous cars to keep the weight under control, and they managed to lower that by producing a magnesium-skinned monocoque. With Soichiro Honda present at the French GP 1968 and regular driver John Surtees not wanting to drive the car, the popular 40-year-old Jo Schlesser was appointed to drive the all new RA302. Unfortunately, Surtees' doubts were proven true, when Schlesser lost all control of the car In the downhill sweepers and crashed. The car overturned and caught fire. The full fuel tank and magnesium chassis burned so intensely that nothing could be done to save Schlesser. He became the fourth F1 driver to die that season (after Jim Clark, Mike Spence and Lodovico Scarfiotti).

The main problem of the car was a lack of development before its introduction at the French Grand Prix. Honda however managed to build an engine that was good for 430hp, which was equal to the water cooled engines of that time. The engine was completely cooled by a funnel draft system, which is basically a conic shape that makes use of the venturi effect. A wide air intake catches air, and is lead to a smaller pipe, where the molecules flow faster. This way the engine could be 'sufficiently' cooled, even without the need of any fan. Some believe the engine stalled because there was rain coming into the air intakes, while others believe the air intakes were designed too small after which the engine failed because of overheating. A second car was built and was earmarked to be driven in practise for the Italian race by Surtees. John declined and Honda withdrew from Grand Prix racing at the end of the season.

got info from here, along with specs
http://www.f1technical.net/history/cars/19...hondaRA302.html
Cyclone
Fun/DEATH! Frozen!
R. Waters
I thought Race cars werent allowed?
DakianDelomast
QUOTE(R. Waters @ Mar 19 2005, 11:40 AM)
I thought Race cars werent allowed?

They are. The precident was set with the 917-30.
AgaBoogaBoo
If only they made some small and light V6 for their S2000 sad.gif

Might actually have a better powerband to use... heh
Phix
Very cool as in frozen.
Raven
Ohh, that's one ugly 'car', but I bet it's fast. So, that makes it 'uncool' I guess.
jbzonda
i like it, i give it cool.
Kip_666
A car people are actually afraid to drive smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.