Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Peugeot 205 T16
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Frozen
Jekyll_2005
Undoubtedly, the emergence of Peugeot 205 T16 represented a new generation of Group B cars which could eat the old generation (headed by Audi Quattro Sport) for breakfast. While Quattro Sport was still front-engined, with a heavy monocoque chassis, Peugeot redefined the rules as mid-engined, space frame chassis and at least 100 lb lighter.

The 1.8-litre 16 valves turbocharged four generated up to 440 hp in race form but only 195 hp in road trim - in fact, unlike Audi and Ford, Peugeot (as well as Lancia S4) had no intention to fulfill the customers' expectation. All it wanted was to win the WRC and spend as little to the road car development as possible.

However, the road car still (had to) shared most of the advanced technology with the race car, including the unique center differential which enable on-board selection of different torque slit ratio between front and rear axle. Driver might select the most suitable setting for different kinds of road

Model :Peugeot 205 T16
Year of production :1984
Layout :Mid-engined, 4wd.
Chassis :Tubular space frame + glass fibre body
Engine :Inline-4, dohc, 4v/cyl, turbo.
Capacity :1775 c.c.
Power :195 hp(Roadcar)
Torque :N/A
Gearbox :5M
Weight :N/A
Top speed :N/A
0-60 mph :N/A
R. Waters
all rally cars are cool
Phix
Hmm. I can see how a MR rally car would work on tarmac... but on anything but a solid surface? Especially pumping out in excess of 400bhp? Wouldn't that make the car... a bit tricky to handle?
bankE46
QUOTE(PHiX @ Mar 16 2005, 02:05 AM)
Hmm. I can see how a MR rally car would work on tarmac... but on anything but a solid surface? Especially pumping out in excess of 400bhp? Wouldn't that make the car... a bit tricky to handle?

haha, i think "tricky to control" would be an understatement to an group B rally driver. tongue.gif they are motorsports gods among us. just the balls you need to drive flat out in that kind of machine... unheard of.
dukenukem
cool but i dont see a supercharger AND a turbo on it tongue.gif
LoudPipe
QUOTE(Jekyll_2005 @ Mar 16 2005, 07:45 AM)
The 1.8-litre 16 valves turbocharged four generated up to 440 hp in race form

Actually, I read an interview with Timo Salonen, '85 world champion, where he said that they maxed out at 620 hp. At this point the engineers had asked the drivers if they needed more power, and they said "No thanks, there's enough" which is one of the 2 situations I've ever heard the drivers to say this. The other was Audi's Pike's Peak Sport quattro S1 prototype, which was deemed undrivable as with 1000 hp it didn't turn properly anymore
Jekyll_2005
QUOTE(LoudPipe @ Mar 16 2005, 05:28 AM)
Actually, I read an interview with Timo Salonen, '85 world champion, where he said that they maxed out at 620 hp. At this point the engineers had asked the drivers if they needed more power, and they said "No thanks, there's enough" which is one of the 2 situations I've ever heard the drivers to say this. The other was Audi's Pike's Peak Sport quattro S1 prototype, which was deemed undrivable as with 1000 hp it didn't turn properly anymore

You Da' Man!! thumbs_up.gif

you do know your stuff, impressive thumbs_up.gif
LoudPipe
I found some other interesting stuff about the Pug 205 T16:

QUOTE(Juha Kankkunen @ world champion of '86, '87, '91 and '93)
After the tarmac tests in San Remo the mechanics swapped the turbo of 205 T16 Evo 2 to the next generation item, that would have been used in '87. The same turbo was later used in Pike's Peak 205's, which had about 700hp.

When the new turbo was in place and the mechanics had remover the tire heaters I took the car to the start of the test SS. I floored it and lifted the clutch pedal. BANG! The car took off so quickly that my and my co-driver Juha Piironen's headphones fell from our heads!

The car was literally flying. Before that I hadn't driven a car with slicks that you could make spin on third gear on dry tarmac just by pressing the accelerator. It was a right decision of FISA to ban Gr.B and limit the intake on Gr.A cars although it didn't feel like it back then. I would never race a Gr.B car again.

We were close to the limit where it would have been impossible to react quickly enough to control the cars.

QUOTE(Jean Todt)
If required we can get 800 hp out of the 205 instantly

QUOTE(Nigel Mansell after testing 205 T16 Evo 2)
This car out accelerates my F1 car

EDIT: BTW, Kankkunen has a full rally spec 205 T16 in his private collection
PandaBeat
QUOTE(LoudPipe @ Mar 16 2005, 12:34 PM)
I found some other interesting stuff about the Pug 205 T16:

QUOTE(Juha Kankkunen @ world champion of '86, '87, '91 and '93)
After the tarmac tests in San Remo the mechanics swapped the turbo of 205 T16 Evo 2 to the next generation item, that would have been used in '87. The same turbo was later used in Pike's Peak 205's, which had about 700hp.

When the new turbo was in place and the mechanics had remover the tire heaters I took the car to the start of the test SS. I floored it and lifted the clutch pedal. BANG! The car took off so quickly that my and my co-driver Juha Piironen's headphones fell from our heads!

The car was literally flying. Before that I hadn't driven a car with slicks that you could make spin on third gear on dry tarmac just by pressing the accelerator. It was a right decision of FISA to ban Gr.B and limit the intake on Gr.A cars although it didn't feel like it back then. I would never race a Gr.B car again.

We were close to the limit where it would have been impossible to react quickly enough to control the cars.

QUOTE(Jean Todt)
If required we can get 800 hp out of the 205 instantly

QUOTE(Nigel Mansell after testing 205 T16 Evo 2)
This car out accelerates my F1 car

EDIT: BTW, Kankkunen has a full rally spec 205 T16 in his private collection

Nice post LoudPipe, great quotes...
NorthPoint
This is truly an awesome car. I have a whole book on this car written by team manager Jean Todt I think. Can't find it just now but its here somewhere...

The 'civilian' version of the Peugeot 205 T16...

RallyCat909
Was certainly among the better looking of the GrpBs in road form.
tune
This car is beyond frozen!!!
Banglemobile
Don't lick it in the winter!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.