Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The NEW Mazda Miata
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Cool
porschedream
So, now that the new Miata was unveiled, what do you think? I don't have any specs but from the look of this car, what is your take?

Just a liitle side note, i think from some angles this car looks alot like an S2000.
m_weinerich
Dylan dressed up as a g g g g g-UNIT member! laugh.gif
Mellender17
QUOTE(m_weinerich @ Mar 6 2005, 12:39 PM)
Dylan dressed up as a g g g g g-UNIT member! laugh.gif

laugh.gif Heh heh...I think it's pretty cool, time will tell though - I mean what sort of people drive it and what it'll be associated with. To start with though, it's cool boardering sub-zero.
DakianDelomast
Despite the fact that the car is almost 15 years old now Mazda has NEVER lost sight of the original intent of the vehicle and that alone gets a mega cool vote from me.
dukenukem
the only thing seperating cool and frozen is a turbocharger DS_Naughty2.gif
Mellender17
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Mar 6 2005, 12:49 PM)
Mazda has NEVER lost sight of the original intent of the vehicle

Good point, there it still isn't over burdened with excess kit and other weighty objects! thumbs_up.gif

the only thing seperating cool and frozen is a turbocharger 

And/or rotary powah!
clarkma5
Rotaries DO NOT belong in the Miata...it would be an affront to the Miata's nature as a pure roadster.
Dylan
Heh, why not? A rotary Miata sounds cool. What would be better is a dual rotaried MPV. biggrin.gif
Mellender17
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 6 2005, 12:56 PM)
Rotaries DO NOT belong in the Miata...it would be an affront to the Miata's nature as a pure roadster.

Pish posh, Clark - who says roadsters can't have rotaries? wink.gif Still, I guess your right about it not being in tune with Miata history.
Heh, why not? A rotary Miata sounds cool. What would be better is a dual rotaried MPV. 

Awesome idea! laugh.gif
DakianDelomast
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 6 2005, 03:56 PM)

Howso?
clarkma5
Has there ever been a rotary in a remotely successful roadster before? Just the RX-7 convertible...

Although there can be quite an argument to be made that Mazda should be the one to push the envelope and rotor-ize everything, I think the Miata's primary function is as a throwback to the old roadsters of yore...Triumphs, MGs, etc...all of which were powered by simple piston engines, usually inline. That's where the spirit of the Miata lies. Leave the rotary in the RX cars and don't taint the MX-5.
DakianDelomast
Well a special rotary edition wouldn't hurt the MX-5 at all... I mean by your logic the Mazdaspeed Miata is blasphemy.
clarkma5
Hardly; it still has a inline-4 cylinder engine...who are we to doubt that Triumph wouldn't've used turbochargers had their roadsters been engineered in the time of turbocharger technology?

I just think putting a rotary in any mazda outside the RX line, at least in the US, is a total mistake in terms of the characters of the cars. Mazda isn't so much a BRAND as a collection of unique MODELS, at least in terms of its identity...the Miata and the RX-7/8 aren't direct replacements for each other, they're unique and seperate personalities that should not be crossed under any circumstance.
DakianDelomast
... o... k clark....
Phix
He's finally gone mad!

Anyway, frozen cause God Damn is this not a sexy little bitch of a car.
porschedream
Who voted Dylan dressed up as a G-UNIT member?
one
Eh.. Cool. It's got the Miata feel to it, but somethings missing. Maybe the hood of the car...
McKhaos
Nah , not quite doing it for me . Still voted warm milk for the effort .
leif
dosent get freezing until they givve us the renisis miata
Si_GTi
It's coooooold wink.gif

In terms of the specs, in the UK it looks like two engines will be offered - an entry-level 1.8-litre 124bhp petrol with a five-speed 'box, and a flagship 2.0-litre 158bhp petrol, which should see 0-62mph in less than 7 seconds, and will have a close-ratio 6-speed 'box fitted.

If Mazda had fitted a hard folding top it just might have been frozen... but then the cost would have been much higher than it will be and the MX-5's target audience would have been lost, as I understand it, it's supposed to be a fairly affordable soft-top roadster. In the UK we're going to be looking at prices of maybe 17,000-18,000 for the entry-level car. Although I like it, it's not going to be on my "wanted" list as I'm still in my "I love German cars" phase laugh.gif
moe89
not that cool anymore because it seems to now be a chick car
clarkma5
QUOTE(moe89 @ Mar 9 2005, 01:50 PM)
not that cool anymore because it seems to now be a chick car

See, this is the idiocy I'm talking about.

Why do you say that, dumbass? I mean moe? tongue.gif
marcos_eirik
Unfortunately. I have to say uncool, because I think it is a bit of a letdown from the Ibuki concept car... sad.gif

Why does always the real car that comes out have to look more booring than the concept car... angry.gif
bankE46
I think the styling change from the latemodel MX-5 was a step in the wrong direction. the car was finally starting to get a unique and aggressive look, and then mazda, much as many other manufacturers are doing now, let the appearance fall into a generic brand groove. It shouldnt look more like the rx-8, because its not an rx-8. its almost as bad as dodge with its "one grill to rule them all" approach. undoubtedly a blast to drive and very comfortable inside, but the late model miata and especially mazdaspeed mx5 accomplished that already.

what happened to being to able to pick out each model by their own unique flair? why is the only immediately apparent difference between a manufacturer's cars the number of doors they have? unrelated to the miata, this trend is just an easy way to crank out more models without having to put a lot of creative design into each one.

as for the new miata, warm milk.
clarkma5
I totally agree with you, Bankie; brands are too focused on forming identities for the brand and are therefore losing the flair of individual models...it's a real shame.
ShinRa
still cool! forever been an affordable convertabile thats still core sports car with its rwd drivetrain!

COOL
PandaBeat
Holy shit, my meat has Freezer Burn!
Halflifehavock13
Rotary's go into rx series....why you ask? Because they have bad torque, bad sealant problems and not to mention a gas hog?

Rotary's are more like a fetish. They may not make any sense to the outside world, but to those who like them, they are golden!
DakianDelomast
Oh. Stick around. You will feel the wrath of dakian. I promise.
LoudPipe
If you thought Miatas were girly before you were wrong.

I actually liked the way the old ones looked. This is awful
Raven
Not too shabby! Probably the best looking Mazda I've even seen. biggrin.gif
porschedream
QUOTE(Raven @ Mar 27 2005, 08:44 AM)
Not too shabby! Probably the best looking Mazda I've even seen. biggrin.gif

*cough*RX8*cough*
PandaBeat
QUOTE(porschedream @ Mar 27 2005, 02:52 PM)
*cough*RX8*cough*

*cough*RX7*cough*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.