Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stolen Amp
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Off Topic
RedLine
Should I buy a 1000watt stolen amp for $20 Canadian? It's an extremley good price for any time of amp, but do you guys care if its stolen?
clarkma5
I don't; the police might.
bankE46
stuff like that goes missing all the time, i dont think youd have any problems with the fuzz and an amp. its not like the cops have a record of the amp's serial numbers or whatever.
RedLine
I'm not affraid of cops, but however, is buying something stolen generally wrong? Should I feel bad... It's nice and cheap.
bankE46
haha, have you ever downloaded an mp3? or a crapload of mp3s? or a game or a movie? did you feel bad? i dont get it, people feel bad shoplifting a case of soda thats worth $4, but couldnt care less if they download a $25 DVD
RedLine
My conscience is telling me to buy the amp. It's from a "school friend" - he didn't steal it personally, but a couple of his friends stoll it.
clarkma5
Yeah, there's always that. But there's something about buying something stolen that's different...they can punish it even though you bought it fair and square. I mean, if you get pulled into the manager's office at the grocery store because you stole some gum, at least you deserve warning you get...you actually stole that gum. But if you buy something stolen, you did your part as a consumer and paid for the item, but it can still be taken away and you can still be punished. That's the kind of mental difference I think of.

And when it comes to mp3s, that's just sweet sweet justice as we triumph over the RIAA! laugh.gif
bankE46
its too bad they specifically told you it was stolen. if i was tryin to sell something like that, i could keep the buyer clean by keeping them ignorant. cause obviously you can assume that its either busted or stolen, but you were never told, so you are clear.
RedLine
QUOTE(bankieWRX @ Sep 2 2003, 01:43 PM)
its too bad they specifically told you it was stolen. if i was tryin to sell something like that, i could keep the buyer clean by keeping them ignorant. cause obviously you can assume that its either busted or stolen, but you were never told, so you are clear.

But they're my school buddies, they wouldn't lie to me.
bankE46
angry.gif go for it dude.
clarkma5
Eh, what the heck. Sounds like a deal.
fiber optic
By buying stolen goods you promote further theft. thumbs_down.gif
Cyclone
Well this is quite a moral dilemma. On one hand you have a good price while on the other you have the guilt of buying something that was stolen from somebody possibly innocent out of their car who originally spent hundreds of dollars on that. Personally I'd say don't buy it.
Spitfire
1000 watts? It's probably some shit brand or something.

They'd sell it for more then $20 if it was any good.
fallon
buy it and if the cops say anything play dumb, they'll take it away and ur out only 20 canadian bucks
RedLine
QUOTE(Spitfire @ Sep 2 2003, 04:01 PM)

You can't go wrong with $20... i'd pay $20 if it only had 100.
clarkma5
well, I think some very good points have been brought up in this thread...no matter how good a deal it is, think about how you are encouraging those criminals to commit more crimes like this...think about how some poor schmo out there is out a 1000 watt amp that he paid for and doesn't have anymore. I think you need to decide if the thought of having a cheap, powerful amp is a more powerful one than those.
5LiterMustang
maybe whoever they stole it from stole it from someone else. just thought i'd point that out.

i know it has no relevance, just a weird thought
RedLine
Okay, my friend got it free from the actually stealer as a gift, my buddy has no need for it, so the stealer isn't getting any money.
clarkma5
well, then it's all pointless... tongue.gif rolleyes.gif
wild_willy
TAKE IT. $20 is awesome, who gives a crap if its stolen
Cyclone
Yeah, encourage the guy who stole it to steal more shit from innocent people. After all, people love having their shit stolen!
rio
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Sep 4 2003, 10:02 AM)
Yeah, encourage the guy who stole it to steal more shit from innocent people. After all, people love having their shit stolen!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
RedLine
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Sep 4 2003, 09:02 AM)

I'll probably install it and a week later it will get stolen wink.gif
turbobrick
QUOTE(CarZOne @ Sep 2 2003, 08:55 PM)
QUOTE(Spitfire @ Sep 2 2003, 04:01 PM)

You can't go wrong with $20... i'd pay $20 if it only had 100.

realy? I'll sell you a 60 watt amp for $15.
GimliTheDwarf
I will be dead before I see a stolen amp in the hands of a Canadian! NEVER TRUST A CANADIAN!
Cyclone
My friend has a 250x2 watt amp for $30. It's not stolen but I'm tempted to buy it. I don't really have much of a use for it. My rear 6x9's say they can handle 400watts, wonder if it'd be worth hooking an amp to?
DakianDelomast
1000 watt amp cost a pretty penny. I had a situation similar to this happen to me where this guy was trying to sell me some 18 inch chrome wheels. 100$ and they would be MINE. Hell I could have treated them like they were junk. Only catch is they were stolen. I thought about it and I broke it down to, what if those were my wheels that got stolen?

If you can live with yourself knowing that you're buying something that isn't yours and you have no right to have then by all means, go for it.
Drax
Dakian, chances are that this is 1000W bridged, at 2 ohms or less. If it's truly putting out 1000W RMS mono, it's a steal (no pun intended).

It's probably some craptastic brand like pyramid or lanzar. Honestly, if it is a crap brand, it's not worth $20. Spend a little extra and get a used carver, or denon amp. They're oldskool, but pretty cheap ($50-100) for pretty good SQ.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.