Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 917-30
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Frozen
marcos_eirik
The 917-30 is a development of the 917-10. It was raced by the Pensky team and regarded as totoally superior to the V8 competition in the Can-Am series in the early 70s. At the time McLaren was dominating Can-Am, but Porsche 917-10 ended that in 1972 and further on with the 917-30 in 1973. It completely blew the american V8 competition of the track. The IMSA executives didn't like it and they banned turbocharging and rewrote the rules in favor of the stock american V8 for the 1974 season.

This car was Porsche's most powerfull car ever. It used the same flat 12 as in the 917 KH (Kurtzheck) but with added twin turbos, which hiked the effect up to 1100 hp (From 610 hp) or up to 1600 hp for sprintraces later in the season. Today it's only used for special occasions and shows like Goodwood Festival of Speed.

[img]http://www.svvs.org/goodw'fs3/Porsche%20917%20engine.jpg[/img]
Viper007Bond
Cool, for a race car that is. But isn't this cool wall for normal cars or am I mistaken?
DakianDelomast
I'll let the boss (clarkma) decide on that one.
clarkma5
Ah crap...put the pressure on me eh?

I find that race cars are kinda contrary to the mission of the cool wall, but there's no explicit rule against them and we've had many other race cars posted here, so this should be allowed to stay.
Phix
1100b-fucking-hp?! In a race car? I'm really underestimating them... I mean... shit, how many laps could that thing last?
marcos_eirik
QUOTE(Phix @ Feb 14 2005, 01:47 PM)
1100b-fucking-hp?! In a race car? I'm really underestimating them... I mean... shit, how many laps could that thing last?

It did last a 24 hours Daytona... They said that was one of the problems. They have been used to 2000 hp nitro dragracer engines, but they only have to last for a 1/4 mile. While this 5-litre unit has to be able to rev up and down its revrange for an entire race, all from 2 hours up tho 24 hours. And stragely it did survive 24 hour racs... After all its "just" about 220 hp/L...
Viper007Bond
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 14 2005, 11:33 AM)
Ah crap...put the pressure on me eh?

I find that race cars are kinda contrary to the mission of the cool wall, but there's no explicit rule against them and we've had many other race cars posted here, so this should be allowed to stay.

Okay, I vote cool then. smile.gif
leif
alot of the 1100 bhp cars had manual blowoff valves that could be ajusted for boost by the driver...

so for most of the course you leave it on low boost, and use the torque for accelerating through the corners, then for the straights you dial in the full 1100 bhp and giv'er for 25-30 seconds...the dial it down again

this way you dont waste the engine too soon...but you get the advantage of 1100 bhp when you need it
jbzonda
no opinion on it, but ill say cool.
The Milky Man
Love it biggrin.gif
dukenukem
racing porsches !!! woo woo
Cyclone
Ice cold in that "Wow that wall is coming at me pretty damn fast but I'm having way too much fun to slow down now!" kinda way biggrin.gif
R. Waters
it was faster than an F1 car at one point on a certain track, I forget which

so it's very cool
bankE46
wow, do you even get turbo lag when the piping that extends from the intake the the end of the exhaust is all of 3 ft with the turbo in the middle?
PandaBeat
AMONG THE COOLEST CARS EVER MADE...
z0ne
nice fucken bump eh?
PandaBeat
QUOTE(adio882 @ Mar 14 2005, 07:23 PM)
nice fucken bump eh?

I'll bump your face.
moe89
I'll bump your face.

that was on hell of a comeback
PandaBeat
QUOTE(moe89 @ Mar 16 2005, 05:50 PM)
that was on hell of a comeback

I'll comeback your ass with my foot!
Halflifehavock13
ewwww......that car (in my opinion) started the bad side of the tuner crowd. It combined the poor furnature color scheme with a big exhaust, a huge wing and a HUMONGOUS turbo!

eh, whatever tickles your fancy.
PandaBeat
QUOTE(Halflifehavock13 @ Mar 21 2005, 02:26 PM)
ewwww......that car (in my opinion) started the bad side of the tuner crowd. It combined the poor furnature color scheme with a big exhaust, a huge wing and a HUMONGOUS turbo!

die
DakianDelomast
QUOTE(Halflifehavock13 @ Mar 21 2005, 05:26 PM)

Holy shit you're dumb.
R. Waters
QUOTE(PandaBeat @ Mar 14 2005, 09:37 AM)
AMONG THE COOLEST CARS EVER MADE...

you should send me money via PayPal so I can buy one
DakianDelomast
QUOTE(adio882 @ Mar 14 2005, 10:23 PM)
nice fucken bump eh?

Bumps don't matter in the cool wall.
PandaBeat
QUOTE(R. Waters @ Mar 21 2005, 02:35 PM)
you should send me money via PayPal so I can buy one

YOU should send me some money so I can buy my 917K:

(it's a replica, but a GOOD one)

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/search.php?....com:auto:FJ111
Raven
1600 HP! woot.gif

It's fat and flat! biggrin.gif

What's the top speed?
marcos_eirik
QUOTE(Raven @ Mar 28 2005, 01:25 PM)
What's the top speed?

Depending on gearing... It set a record in 1974 @ 225 mph at the Telledega banked oval...
moe89
was there a road version?
Avalon
BMW had the same problem as Porsche did during this era. Both were building 1200+ hp cars for qualifying (that's the only time the 917-30 used all 1600 horses), but their engines were literally a melted heap of junk once they were done.
darinzon
QUOTE(marcos_eirik @ Feb 14 2005, 04:59 PM) *
It did last a 24 hours Daytona...

what? i thought this car only did can-am
Espen
As if the 5 litre turbo engine was not suficcient, Porsche were working on larger displacement engines to provide better drivability and fuel efficiency.

As for making these engines last, that was'nt much of an issue. BMW and TAG were extracting upwards of 600hp/litre in their 1500ccm F1 engines and making them last 500kms, making a 250hp/litre engine last twice that was'nt much of a problem. These were low compression sledgehammer-and-anvil built engines.

Aerodynamics were a huge issue though...
Avalon
I disagree with your reliability comments Aspen. I have several Porsche and BMW books that beg to differ.
Cyclone
Espen*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.