Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2004 1/2 Ram Heavy Duty Cummins 600
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
PAULIE_D
Dodge unveils 2004 1/2 Ram Heavy Duty Cummins 600 pickup

Auburn Hills, Michigan - Dodge released photos and technical details of its new 2004 1/2 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty Cummins "600" pickup truck on Wednesday. Its Cummins turbo-diesel engine develops 600 lb.-ft. of torque at 1,600 rpm and 325 horsepower at 2,900 rpm. The Standard Output Cummins Turbo Diesel has been dropped from the Ram Heavy Duty line-up.

2004.5 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty Cummins "600" towing a Caterpillar 777D Mining Truck with a gross vehicle weight of 155,684 pounds. The Caterpillar 777D stands 33.1 ft. tall and 20 ft. wide.

In addition to the most torque ever offered in a production heavy-duty pickup, the Dodge Ram Heavy Duty Cummins "600" has the best-in-class towing capability of 16,400 lbs. (a 3,000 lb. advantage over the Ford F-350 PowerStroke), a payload of 5,020 lbs. and a best-in-class Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) and Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 23,000 lbs. and 12,000 lbs., respectively.

"The Ram Heavy Duty has the most sophisticated chassis in the segment, the biggest brakes, excellent handling and class-exclusive safety features such as side curtain air bags," said Eric Ridenour, Executive Vice President Product Development. "It is only fitting that it now has the most powerful diesel engine. This is also the quietest Ram diesel ever and the first High Output Cummins Turbo Diesel that meets 50-state emissions requirements.”

The re-designed 5.9-litre Cummins “600” powerplant was designed with premium exhaust valves and seats, high-strength exhaust manifolds, gallery cooled pistons and an oil bath turbo system.

According to DaimlerChrysler, the new Cummins "600” delivers best-in-class oil change intervals of 15,000 miles (versus 7,500 for the competition) and is the only heavy-duty diesel pickup pre-equipped for an exhaust brake. The Ram Heavy Duty Cummins “600” is also capable of zero-throttle launches, enabling smooth drive-offs under load with the 6-speed manual transmission. An automatic transmission is also available with the new Cummins "600."

“Our goal during the development of the Cummins '600' was to make meaningful changes, not just chase numbers," said Frank Klegon, Vice President, Truck Product Team. “The Ram Heavy Duty Cummins '600' delivers more torque and power where our customer needs it, under a full load and heading up a steep grade. We designed the Ram Heavy Duty Cummins '600' for the severe use customer, and for them, torque is everything. Dodge is also the only heavy-duty pickup manufacturer confident enough in our product to offer a seven year powertrain warranty.”

Source : http://www.canadiandriver.com
5LiterMustang
can't argue with Dodge..
Mr b00st
maximum towing capacity of this truck=16,400
weight of Cat 777D= 155,684
relevance of a picture showing the dodge with a strap to the cat= unknown.
White RSX
doesnt ever say its MOVING the truck.
PAULIE_D
QUOTE(Xenocyde @ Dec 7 2003, 07:00 PM)

hahaha ... true !

but I think this Dodge is fully capable of moving that gigantic truck .... but it wouldn't be able to actually tow it at anything close to a normal driving speed.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(Xenocyde @ Dec 7 2003, 04:00 PM)

and most people would know it's not moving the truck, so why waste the film?

dodge= tard.gif tard.gif tard.gif
Mr b00st
QUOTE(PAULIE_D @ Dec 7 2003, 04:02 PM)
hahaha ... true !

but I think this Dodge is fully capable of moving that gigantic truck .... but it wouldn't be able to actually tow it at anything close to a normal driving speed.

i think you need more than 325 horses and 600 lb-ft to move that truck.

*ding*

I've got a Chevy Silverado H/D!

(j/k)
DakianDelomast
QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Dec 7 2003, 07:05 PM)
QUOTE(PAULIE_D @ Dec 7 2003, 04:02 PM)

hahaha ... true !

i think you need more than 325 horses and 600 lb-ft to move that truck.

*ding*

I've got a Chevy Silverado H/D!

(j/k)

Dump truck is on wheels. Wheels assist moving. Therefor I bet with a little effort and a lot so clutch slipping my honda could move the dumptruck eventually.
Mr b00st
I don't think your Honda is heavy enough to get the traction required. Weight is just as important as power when you want to move something. And i bet there is more friction with the static cat than your honda can overcome.
fallon
thumbs_up.gif as ive said before, im not crazy about the new ram styling in the front but that is a cool truck, i wonder what the specs would be like with a new performance chip slapped on there
karinateamer
Cummins is sometimes more reliable compared to the one installed by chrysler! The power output especially the torque is somewhat better. I have a truck I used for towing I replaced the engine with cummins and it work perfectly. The only problem I had with the ram is the suspension at the back, the weight distribution of the chassis with the trailer completely messed up the handling while the suspension sits too low.
Razor
QUOTE(karinateamer @ Aug 12 2012, 02:01 PM) *
Cummins is sometimes more reliable compared to the one installed by chrysler! The power output especially the torque is somewhat better. I have a truck I used for towing I replaced the engine with cummins and it work perfectly. The only problem I had with the ram is the suspension at the back, the weight distribution of the chassis with the trailer completely messed up the handling while the suspension sits too low.

Go to hell, you fuck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.