Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Poll: Bring back PP contest & photo contest or not?
Should we or Shouldn't we?
Should we bring back monthly post-processing contest?
Yes [ 28 ] ** [90.32%]
No [ 2 ] ** [6.45%]
Who cares I know all i need to know about photography and couldn't possibly benefit from exercises like this!!! [ 1 ] ** [3.23%]
Should we hold a monthly automotive photo contest w/ specific controls and criteria?
Yes [ 28 ] ** [90.32%]
No [ 1 ] ** [3.23%]
Who cares I know all i need to know about photography and couldn't possibly benefit from exercises like this!!! [ 2 ] ** [6.45%]
Total Votes: 31
Guests cannot vote 
iLLuZioNz
post May 3 2012, 06:48 AM
Post #1

Grease Monkey

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,637

Many of you may be past this point of even wanting to do so but I was wondering; Do and of you care to get any post processing monthly contest going and maybe a automotive photo of the month contest? I am becoming increasingly interested in stitching images (either from pre-shot backplates, or part CGI) and think it would be cool to see the types of things everyone comes up with from the same car image. Maybe this isnt a very 'controlled' contest but rather a test of knowledge to the manipulations possible within photoshop/illustrator/3D rendering and who made the best most realistic one for that months assignment. On the other hand for the non-CG or compositing inspired folks, a contest with set criteria and different assignments each month. I am just throwing it out there but who in the hell am I? smile.gif Obviously we would need someone to take up the role to bring the assignments together. Cough, Sean, Cough*

Feedback & suggestions welcomed. I think this would be extremely beneficial to the community for all skill levels to further the craft.

Josh
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OHirtenfelder
post May 3 2012, 11:42 AM
Post #2

That guy that you know does what!

Member No.: 4,226
Car: 1971 BMW 2002, 2008 Audi A3 Sportback

I'll be quite honest. I didn't participate in the contest before, for 2 reasons. My PS skill is so heavily outclassed by some of the guys on here, and more importantly, I'm always so stupidly busy with my own stuff that trying to find the time to do this is very difficult. But I'm all for it.

From time to time I might take part, and I also think it's a great learning experience for everyone, seeing what can be achieved from what sort of base material.

I say hell yeah!!

+Quote Post
dynadesign.nu
post May 3 2012, 12:08 PM
Post #3

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 5,679

^what he said. I'm nor nearly even close to beeing good at PP, so actually I should want to participate, but I just got way to much stuff goin on atm.
allways fun to see peoples skills though!

+Quote Post
DonJuanMair
post May 3 2012, 05:54 PM
Post #4

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 4,882

im in the exact same boat, my PS skills arent as good as people on here so i never participate. I also rarely shoot cars now. BUT its always fun to see what the super skilled PS users come up with

+Quote Post
James Cause
post May 4 2012, 07:49 PM
Post #5

Shift Noob

Member No.: 6,902

I'm glad this came up, when I first found this place and was looking through old stuff I was a little disappointed to find the contest seemed to be dead.

+Quote Post
Chin.Up
post May 4 2012, 09:38 PM
Post #6

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 5,401
Car: Batmobile

Lets do it.

+Quote Post
GFWilliams
post May 4 2012, 11:03 PM
Post #7

Automotive Photographer

Member No.: 4,959

I'm not too fussed to be honest... Always got so much work on now that I wouldn't have much time to do it tbh...

Also, there don't seem to be anywhere near as many high end people on here anymore

+Quote Post
Mitch Hemming
post May 5 2012, 12:13 AM
Post #8

www.mhemming.com

Member No.: 6,034
Car: Honda Accord 1997

Who says it has to be outrageous edits?

Why not run the contests/what ever, but make it, if anything, a learning curve for people wanting to better their PP skills?

At least by participating, you can see how you've edited your photo and how the next person has edited theirs. you both started with the same image, so you can see exactly whats changed. its a great way to learn if you ask me...

I dont have time for this haha, but I'm sure theres people who do

+Quote Post
Seethegrim
post May 7 2012, 06:42 AM
Post #9

SeagramPearce

Member No.: 4,265
Car: Mazda 2

I tried keeping it going as long I could, but at the time there was very limited interest. It was the same 5 guys doing it every time.

+Quote Post
Martin
post May 7 2012, 11:58 AM
Post #10

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 4,310
Car: VW Golf 2.0 TDi, Volvo 480 Turbo

I'm more into editing and not adding new elements which makes it less fun to participate amongst others more altered pics, but I'll do it for my own sake if I have time over.

+Quote Post
iLLuZioNz
post May 8 2012, 05:56 AM
Post #11

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 5,637

QUOTE(Mitch Hemming @ May 5 2012, 12:13 AM) *
Who says it has to be outrageous edits?

Why not run the contests/what ever, but make it, if anything, a learning curve for people wanting to better their PP skills?

At least by participating, you can see how you've edited your photo and how the next person has edited theirs. you both started with the same image, so you can see exactly whats changed. its a great way to learn if you ask me...

I dont have time for this haha, but I'm sure theres people who do

This is exactly what I was thinking, but hey I was just thinking out loud. I dont even know how or who would want to run such a contest but I just thought it would be beneficial. It seems many may not have the time though and it'd be back to what seegram said about the same 4-5 people participating. I was hoping we could get numerous people to participate.

+Quote Post
Blue Devil
post May 8 2012, 07:35 AM
Post #12

Anda a freir monos en la sarten de palos.

Member No.: 3,612
Car: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM

i think in order to get more people maybe we need more time? I wanted to participate but time constrains left me out.

+Quote Post
Brent B
post Jan 15 2014, 08:16 PM
Post #13

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 7,473

Reading through old threads... can we try and do some competitions again? Either comps or just simple tonal/color adjustment edits? Or even just seeing what everyone would do as if the shot were theirs. I feel I'd learn a lot just by seeing what you guys would come up with.

+Quote Post
Broda
post Feb 20 2014, 04:08 PM
Post #14

Shift Noob

Member No.: 7,009
Car: Porsche 911

I would try my best to join.

Would be fun to have something that isn't for a client to work on.
I would agree with a bit more time to work on it.

This would be cool though, i would just hope to learn some stuff from guys here.

+Quote Post
BandyDesign
post Feb 21 2014, 07:00 AM
Post #15

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 5,118

I'm subscribed to see if this goes anywhere. I would be interested.

+Quote Post
Brent B
post Feb 21 2014, 11:43 AM
Post #16

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 7,473

How about we just get this started and hopefully more and more people will join in. I don't have any RAW files of particularly awesome shoots (referring to exotics), but maybe I could just post one/drop a link of what I do have? Would that work for you guys?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 09:52 AM