Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mitsubishi Starion (Chrysler Conquest)
Starion
Misubishi Starion
Cool [ 11 ] ** [45.83%]
Neutral [ 8 ] ** [33.33%]
Uncool [ 5 ] ** [20.83%]
Total Votes: 24
Guests cannot vote 
Lancer007
post Jul 14 2009, 04:33 PM
Post #1

jedi leprechaun douchebag in training

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,507
Car: 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer ES

The Mitsubishi Starion is a three-door, turbocharged four-cylinder rear-wheel drive four-seat sports car that was in production from 1982 to 1990. It was also marketed in North America as the Conquest under the Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth names; both the Starion and Conquest came to an end in 1989. Although preceded by earlier turbocharged designs such as the Porsche 930 (1975), Saab 99 (1978) and the Mitsubishi Lancer EX 2000 Turbo (1980), it is considered to be one of the originators of the modern Japanese turbocharged performance automobile genre.[1][2]

The "Starion" name is claimed to be a contraction of "Star of Orion", but an urban legend claims that it was intended to be stallion, as a result of an "Engrish" mistranslation.

The Starion used a traditional front-mounted engine with rear-wheel drive layout, which most sports cars use. Many came with a limited slip differential and anti-lock brakes (single channel, rear wheels only) as standard features. The entire chassis was derived from the previous high performance variant of the Mitsubishi Sapporo or Mitsubishi Galant Lambda sports coupe, with a MacPherson strut suspension and swaybars that were fitted to front and rear.[1]

Engine capacity was 2.0 L with the now well-known Sirius 4G63 2.0 L engine, subsequently featured in DOHC form in the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution series of automobiles. However, American customers received the larger Astron G54B 2.6 L engine, but without any additional horsepower. Neither engines were DOHC. After 1987, European Starion models were also fitted with the 2.6 L engine, as was the GSR-VR for Japan. Both engines featured computer controlled fuel injection and turbocharging.

Horsepower varied between 150 and 197 bhp (147 kW) depending mostly upon the turbocharger that was fitted, the presence of an intercooler, and whether the 8-valve or 12-valve head was used.

A naturally-aspirated version known as the GX was also built for the Japanese market, however production ceased in 1983 due to low sales figures. The Starion GX had no electric windows, no air conditioning, no independent rear suspension, no fuel injection and did not have power-assisted steering.

Seating was a 2+2 arrangement, although the rear seats are not too suitable for large adults. The front seats were adjustable for lumbar, angle, knee support, position and featured variable-angle side-braces.

One of the more unusual features was that the seatbelts were located in the doors for the driver and front passenger, and some American and European models featured electrically operated seatbelts.

A five-speed manual transmission was standard in most models, however, an automatic transmission was sold as an option in some markets.

The drag coefficient was around 0.32; quite efficient for the era, and although quite angular, the aerodynamics in general were exceptional at the time. It was one of the world's fastest mass produced cars.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Jul 14 2009, 07:12 PM
Post #2

Talkin' the talk since 2003

Group: Admin
Member No.: 27
Car: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T

Tough decision...there's a guy not far from here who's got a really clean one parked next to his white '08 STi, and it's probably the most interesting driveway within a mile of my house. But on the other hand it's horribly nerdy. I can't give it a neutral but I can't decide between cool and uncool.

+Quote Post
moe
post Jul 15 2009, 12:59 AM
Post #3

Posting God

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,451
Car: '13 Toyota 86

A solid cool from me.

+Quote Post
Razor
post Jul 15 2009, 05:05 AM
Post #4

IT SLIDES!

Member No.: 3,670
Car: Volkswagen R32 Mk V

One of the last real sports cars that Mitsu had before all that was left was the Evo. Cool.

+Quote Post
midnightdorifto
post Jul 16 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #5

Race Driver

Member No.: 1,037

And if you get the reference, I bet you can guess which way I voted.

+Quote Post
UserDrew
post Jul 16 2009, 02:35 PM
Post #6

Latent racecar driver

Member No.: 1,455
Car: 2006 Slobalt, '65 Karmann Ghia

Yeah, I would've given it an uncool vote for being being in cannonball run II but you can't hold it against the car if it was in a bad movie.

+Quote Post
midnightdorifto
post Jul 16 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #7

Race Driver

QUOTE(UserDrew @ Jul 16 2009, 05:35 PM) *
Yeah, I would've given it an uncool vote for being being in cannonball run II but you can't hold it against the car if it was in a bad movie.

This would be the opposite of my thinking.

+Quote Post
moe
post Jul 17 2009, 06:50 PM
Post #8

Posting God

Member No.: 1,451
Car: '13 Toyota 86

Aha, so he still is your Cool Wall nemesis.

+Quote Post
midnightdorifto
post Jul 17 2009, 07:41 PM
Post #9

Race Driver

QUOTE(moe @ Jul 17 2009, 09:50 PM) *
Aha, so he still is your Cool Wall nemesis.

It would appear that way, despite the fact that we voted the same way.

Excellent ruse, my compatriot. Excellent ruse.

+Quote Post
Uwe
post Jul 22 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #10

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 1,485
Car: Caterham Seven

I always found the Starion a bland and boring car. There's nothing which truly stands out. It is the Toyota Carina of sports cars. Uncool.

+Quote Post
Phix
post Jul 28 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #11

Banned

Member No.: 1,208
Car: N/A

It looked great on Top Gear in the Mitsubishi rally livery but besides that it was a pretty middle of the line car. Not exciting but, uh, competent enough to jkeep it from being shit.

Also:

The "Starion" name is claimed to be a contraction of "Star of Orion", but an urban legend claims that it was intended to be stallion, as a result of an "Engrish" mistranslation.

lol

Neutral

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2018 - 03:11 PM