Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FIRST shots using SUCTION CUP RIG..., comment plz!
Nate047
post Aug 1 2008, 10:22 AM
Post #1

Pit Mechanic

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,281
Car: 1998 Honda Civic CX

Hey guys, whats up... I don't post here too often but I do lurk a fair amount...

I finally got my ass in gear and got a rig setup that works. I have used it a grand total of 3 times now, once the first day, and twice on the second day. Please feel free to comment, I would love some pointers.

Rig shots are a whole new beast to me... I really like how it works/mounts, I'll get to the details later. So enough bable, here's the pix!!

capture, sharpen, levels

final

capture, sharpen, levels

static

final

And the third one, I would love some advice on this one...

I'm having trouble cloning the reflection of the boom arm from the windshield... Anyone have any bright ideas? Am I S.O.L on that one?

The rig is 2 Avenger suction cups with superclamps, the boom arms from the www.automotiverigs.com kit which I bought on a whim a while ago and absolutely HATE head.gif and a magic arm/superclamp to mount the camera. The shots were done by pushing the car and walking/jogging alongside the ccamera with a cable release. I like being able to hold the camera strap in hand just for my own piece of mind, altho I must admit the suctions cups are VERY strong if mounted properly on a smooth surface.

One other way I increased stability was by setting up a 4th section of arm on the far side of the suction cups and clamping a bean bag counter weight to it. That way it kinda pulls it down to counter the camera weight on the opposite side.

COMMENT PLEASE!! these shots are not lit, shot with Canon 1DSMkIII, processed using CS3 and Bridge.

Thanks for looking!! thumbs_up.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
D.Freeman
post Aug 1 2008, 10:43 AM
Post #2

Strictly Amateur Photographer

Member No.: 3,528
Car: Exige S

That rig is pretty much identical to mine smile.gif
Nice shots, I'd prefer less blur in the photos, as it looks like the car's doing 1000000000mph!

+Quote Post
ScottChu
post Aug 1 2008, 11:41 AM
Post #3

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 2,357
Car: '06 Honda Civic Coupe EX

You definitely have a great start. I agree with Dan that there should be less blur in the future, but only if the backgrounds have more to be seen. In this location, I feel more blur has benefitted you to add to the simplicity of the shot.

In your first shot, the cup closer to the camera appears to be height adjustable? What is the black thing on the Avenger Cup pin under the superclamp?

+Quote Post
Nate047
post Aug 1 2008, 12:13 PM
Post #4

Pit Mechanic

Thanks guys! Yea I'm gonna go out and use it again this weekend (if I have time sad.gif ) and try some other stuff... I like the very blurred look but the rear angle night shot is over the top IMHO...

QUOTE(ScottChu @ Aug 1 2008, 12:41 PM) *
In your first shot, the cup closer to the camera appears to be height adjustable? What is the black thing on the Avenger Cup pin under the superclamp?

Yes that would be this...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5464...ter_Socket.html

and a longer version of this...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2437..._for_Super.html

I got that so I could change the angle of the the rig a little bit to give me more flexibility of angles. Also that first shot was without the counter weight setup...

+Quote Post
ScottChu
post Aug 1 2008, 12:30 PM
Post #5

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 2,357
Car: '06 Honda Civic Coupe EX

QUOTE(Nate047 @ Aug 1 2008, 01:13 PM) *
Yes that would be this...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5464...ter_Socket.html

and a longer version of this...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2437..._for_Super.html
I got that so I could change the angle of the the rig a little bit to give me more flexibility of angles. Also that first shot was without the counter weight setup...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

+Quote Post
Performance Imag...
post Aug 1 2008, 08:38 PM
Post #6

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 3,814
Car: 3000GT VR4 | R6 | Yukon Denali

I like the angle on the 2nd one, but agree there is to much blur in it. How in the world do you keep your boom from bouncing or swaying on just two cups?

+Quote Post
Seethegrim
post Aug 2 2008, 02:13 AM
Post #7

SeagramPearce

Member No.: 4,265
Car: Mazda 2

I'll give you my rig if you give me your camera... tongue.gif

The setup looks good. Pretty much what we all have. Just watch out the mass distortion you get on the fisheye lens... its a cool effect n all, but not what you want everytime.

But I really like how you made your rig adjustable. I've been thinking about doing that for some time now, just never gotten round to it. And you went & did it better than I would have.

+Quote Post
Performance Imag...
post Aug 2 2008, 04:03 AM
Post #8

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 3,814
Car: 3000GT VR4 | R6 | Yukon Denali

JJ has a nice way to handle adjustment on his rig as well.

+Quote Post
rockets.
post Aug 2 2008, 08:10 PM
Post #9

Shift Noob

Member No.: 4,474
Car: Soarer, GC8, Cube

those are just beautiful shots man! I wish I could do something like that.

Where is everyone buying just the automotiverigs.com arms from? Like ONLY the arms?

+Quote Post
Nate047
post Aug 5 2008, 02:44 PM
Post #10

Pit Mechanic

QUOTE(Performance Imagery @ Aug 1 2008, 09:38 PM) *
How in the world do you keep your boom from bouncing or swaying on just two cups?

Crazy mojo... Raspberry.gif

Nah just kidding, it does bounce a little but really not that bad all things considered...

AS far as the arms are concerned, I was NOT able to just get the arms. I bent over and paid full price without researching very well, I really really wish I had not bought that kit, but hey. Live and learn, yea? At least if nothing else, I got my hands on some good boom arms that way, they just cost me $900, lol. sad.gif head.gif

I did not have a chance to go use the rig again yet, been busy working and I'm going out of town this weekend. Hopefully I will have some updates soon! Thanks for the comments guys. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Mike Boldt
post Aug 5 2008, 03:37 PM
Post #11

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 4,457
Car: Nikon D300

I'm replicating the arms, so easy to do. I may do it with aluminum square piping though! I love the first one!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2019 - 04:55 PM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here