> Wanted That Mitsubishi EXO X?, Think Again
porschedream
post May 13 2008, 12:35 PM
Post #1

The Lord of The Rings

Group: Members
Member No.: 899
Car: 2004 Audi RS6

My frustration today is indescribable. I have been so in love with the way this car drives over my 05 VIII, that I have been ignoring some of the minor issues...mostly the problem with the tune. Before I say anything, this is THE best driving and handling car I have ever driven...EVER. I have been defending Mitsu here for months against the notchy transmission, poor paint quality, and the 8:1 AFR that they have designed into the tune that makes it idle and drive like ****. Today...no more...I am royally pissed off.

I turned 2000 miles yesterday, and I just happened to be in front of a crowd of STIs and older EVO owners, so I thought I would drive the car with a little enthusiasm....you know....so they could hear the studder and hesitation up above 5800rpm

I pushed the accelerator to the floor as I normally would and the piece of **** broke off completely. I reached down and had the entire pedal all the way to the firewall in my hand. WOW! This is a safety hazzard!!! What if this happened to my 8 months pregnant wife on the highway in rush hour traffic!

So I call my dealer to express my frustrations with me sitting on the side of the road stranded in my new $41,000 car. The dealer has heard NOTHING about this "April reflash" that Mitsu has coming out, nor have they been informed of any other issues. I think the April reflash thing is BS. It was almost 8pm and they were closing, so they said I could have roadside assistance drop the car there and leave the keys in the night drop. I sat on the side of the road in the dark for an hour on the phone with roadside assistance while they tried to find a tow company willing to drop my car at the dealer...15 minutes away. I finally got so sick of waiting that I took my shoe off and wedged my foot up there and was able to press the accelerator with my big toe. I called my wife and had her drive the hour to come pick me up.

So why didn't I spend my $40,000 on a new 430hp Corvette? Good question.

Link

I can tell you this now, I do not want an EVO X.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mitlov
post May 13 2008, 12:43 PM
Post #2

Halfabusa lover

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,525

You're writing off an entire model because one owner had a defective part? Why not write off all Toyotas because of 20 bad camshafts? Why not write off all Subarus because my classmate's Scoobie blew a head gasket? Why not write off all BMWs because Automobile Magazine's long-term 330i suffered catastrophic engine failure within the first year?

+Quote Post
porschedream
post May 13 2008, 12:50 PM
Post #3

The Lord of The Rings

I've never wanted a Mitsubishi in the first place. I'm rather just sharing a little tidbit of information in a comical sense. If it can happen to one owner it can happen to others, and I really wouldn't want my gas pedal braking while i'm driving.

+Quote Post
moe
post May 13 2008, 12:53 PM
Post #4

Posting God

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,451
Car: '13 Toyota 86

Haha, that's what happens when you choose a souped up econobox over a sports car. tongue_crossed-eyes.gif

+Quote Post
Diesel
post May 13 2008, 01:14 PM
Post #5

I'm bored.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
Car: 2006 Acura TSX

i'll still take that EvoX.. with the plastic pedal and all.

+Quote Post
Synesthesia
post May 13 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #6

Race Driver

Member No.: 2,585

What? What stupid engineer made that decision?

+Quote Post
eraser_rx
post May 13 2008, 01:36 PM
Post #7

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 621
Car: 2004 Impreza RS

^....well...that's not stupid.....it's overkill to use metal for a pedal and plastic component is lighter. nowadays plastic products are strong enough for a lot of applications. i don't think there is much stress that could be applied on a gas pedal even if you floor that thing......i see this as a manufacturing defect, ie. porosity in the material...

I pushed the accelerator to the floor as I normally would and the piece of **** broke off completely. I reached down and had the entire pedal all the way to the firewall in my hand. WOW! This is a safety hazzard!!! What if this happened to my 8 months pregnant wife on the highway in rush hour traffic!

could happen to his wife...but i hardly can imagine a 8 months pregnant woman flooring an Evo.....

+Quote Post
dukenukem
post May 13 2008, 02:25 PM
Post #8

**Snuggles**

Member No.: 166
Car: 2006 Subaru WRX STI

QUOTE(moethepaki @ May 13 2008, 03:53 PM) *
Haha, that's what happens when you choose a souped up econobox over a sports car. tongue_crossed-eyes.gif

Yeah man. I always said Gayttas and Gaytis are t3h suck Raspberry.gif

This is not even an isolated case. Atleast a couple more people have experienced this issue. Now if you want to rule out the car because of the mitsu dealer network then thats a totally different topic

+Quote Post
Razor
post May 13 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #9

IT SLIDES!

Member No.: 3,670
Car: Volkswagen R32 Mk V

QUOTE(Mitlov @ May 13 2008, 04:43 PM) *
You're writing off an entire model because one owner had a defective part? Why not write off all Toyotas because of 20 bad camshafts? Why not write off all Subarus because my classmate's Scoobie blew a head gasket? Why not write off all BMWs because Automobile Magazine's long-term 330i suffered catastrophic engine failure within the first year?

Thank you for being the most logical in this thread. It was confirmed by Mitsubishi that this was done a safety feature (apparently) and the guy has since gotten the pedal replaced.

The MR will have metal sport pedals, already confirmed.

And no, I'm not thinking again.

QUOTE(dukenukem @ May 13 2008, 06:25 PM) *
Now if you want to rule out the car because of the mitsu dealer network then thats a totally different topic

I know what you're talking about and it isn't a universal issue. The bad dealers obviously get ratted out pretty badly, but look at SoCal Mitsubishi and tell me it is a poor dealer that doesn't have the customer's best interest in mind. Same goes for my local Mitsubishi.

+Quote Post
porschedream
post May 13 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #10

The Lord of The Rings

I did not know that there were other owners with similar issues huh.gif I do know however that that most manufacturers use plastic.

+Quote Post
Mitlov
post May 13 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #11

Halfabusa lover

QUOTE(dukenukem @ May 13 2008, 03:25 PM) *
Haha, that's what happens when you choose a souped up econobox over a sports car.

huh.gif Says the guy driving around in a souped-up version of Subaru's cheapest US-market car...? Please tell me that sarcasm was dripping from your post. It's sometimes hard to detect sarcasm from ascii text.

+Quote Post
Mitlov
post May 13 2008, 04:18 PM
Post #12

Halfabusa lover

QUOTE(Razor @ May 13 2008, 04:56 PM) *
Thank you for being the most logical in this thread. It was confirmed by Mitsubishi that this was done a safety feature (apparently) and the guy has since gotten the pedal replaced.

If I recall correctly, in a frontal accident, the pedals can crush your ankles if they don't give way, and pedals in most cars are designed to give way in one manner or another. Sounds to me that there was a manufacturing defect in a designed-in "snap zone" (my term, not an official term) that made it snap at a much lower force than it was supposed to.

+Quote Post
Razor
post May 13 2008, 04:28 PM
Post #13

IT SLIDES!

QUOTE(Mitlov @ May 13 2008, 08:18 PM) *
If I recall correctly, in a frontal accident, the pedals can crush your ankles if they don't give way, and pedals in most cars are designed to give way in one manner or another. Sounds to me that there was a manufacturing defect in a designed-in "snap zone" (my term, not an official term) that made it snap at a much lower force than it was supposed to.

Yeah. Furthermore, it seems as if the pedals in the MR-Edition model are of higher quality than these and therefore have a different design altogether so this problem won't be as foreseeable. But you're most likely right. It snapped because it's a safety feature, just not a very well designed one in Mitsubishi's case.

Everyone who's going down on the car and Mitsu altogether for this is being ridiculous. PD, you can't expect a car of this price and class to be on par with yours. It's designed to be something remotely like a cheaper alternative of what you've got (AWD, turbo like the old RS4) for a lower price bracket. Hey, it's cheap thrills, I'll take it. You do have to give them credit though, as comparing the quality of this new X versus the old VIIIs and IXs shows that it's taken a step up in terms of quality.

+Quote Post
Mitlov
post May 13 2008, 04:34 PM
Post #14

Halfabusa lover

QUOTE(Razor @ May 13 2008, 05:28 PM) *
Yeah. Furthermore, it seems as if the pedals in the MR-Edition model are of higher quality than these and therefore have a different design altogether so this problem won't be as foreseeable. But you're most likely right. It snapped because it's a safety feature, just not a very well designed one in Mitsubishi's case.

Everyone who's going down on the car and Mitsu altogether for this is being ridiculous. PD, you can't expect a car of this price and class to be on par with yours. It's designed to be something remotely like a cheaper alternative of what you've got (AWD, turbo like the old RS4) for a lower price bracket. Hey, it's cheap thrills, I'll take it. You do have to give them credit though, as comparing the quality of this new X versus the old VIIIs and IXs shows that it's taken a step up in terms of quality.

I disagree to the extent that you're referring to this as a design defect instead of a manufacturing defect. There is no possible way that Mitsubishi designed this pedal to break under the pressure at which it broke. This isn't an issue of luxury versus non-luxury, or cheap non-luxury versus expensive non-luxury. It's an issue of parts not meeting specifications, which can happen to any brand, including the most expensive of brands (i.e., the knob for the power rear sunshade snapped off Inside Line's long-term C300 within a couple weeks of getting the car...another manufacturing defect, not a design defect).

+Quote Post
Razor
post May 13 2008, 04:46 PM
Post #15

IT SLIDES!

QUOTE(Mitlov @ May 13 2008, 08:34 PM) *
I disagree to the extent that you're referring to this as a design defect instead of a manufacturing defect. There is no possible way that Mitsubishi designed this pedal to break under the pressure at which it broke. This isn't an issue of luxury versus non-luxury, or cheap non-luxury versus expensive non-luxury. It's an issue of parts not meeting specifications, which can happen to any brand, including the most expensive of brands (i.e., the knob for the power rear sunshade snapped off Inside Line's long-term C300 within a couple weeks of getting the car...another manufacturing defect, not a design defect).

By design defect I meant the choice of material or something in that sense, but I'm not sure, so I guess manufacturing defect was the term I was looking for. I only brought up the luxury/etc. part simply to show that even though this new model has its problems, it's a huge step up from the previous, and also to show that when you buy a car like this, you aren't buying it for the luxury.

+Quote Post
porschedream
post May 13 2008, 05:07 PM
Post #16

The Lord of The Rings

QUOTE(Razor @ May 13 2008, 08:28 PM) *

Hey I mean no harm by taking a little cheapo at your favorite car Raspberry.gif As stated it all comes down to the fact that there was some sort of defect in the gas pedal which ultimately caused it to snap. That aside, as Mitlov had stated, the odds of your pedal snapping off when having a little fun are pretty much zero to none, and the EVO X is a trememdous achievement not only for Mitsubishi but for the whole automotive industry. They've shown that they can produce incredible performance oriented cars for the fraction of the price of RS4's and 911's.

That aside I guess you could squeeze me into the Subaru Fan Club rather than the Mitsubishi Fan Club. Despite the gorgeous exterior, I for some unexplainable reason, am more wholeheartedly attacted to STI's over EVO's blush.gif

+Quote Post
Razor
post May 13 2008, 06:03 PM
Post #17

IT SLIDES!

QUOTE(porschedream @ May 13 2008, 09:07 PM) *
Hey I mean no harm by taking a little cheapo at your favorite car Raspberry.gif As stated it all comes down to the fact that there was some sort of defect in the gas pedal which ultimately caused it to snap. That aside, as Mitlov had stated, the odds of your pedal snapping off when having a little fun are pretty much zero to none, and the EVO X is a trememdous achievement not only for Mitsubishi but for the whole automotive industry. They've shown that they can produce incredible performance oriented cars for the fraction of the price of RS4's and 911's.

That aside I guess you could squeeze me into the Subaru Fan Club rather than the Mitsubishi Fan Club. Despite the gorgeous exterior, I for some unexplainable reason, am more wholeheartedly attacted to STI's over EVO's blush.gif

Very fair enough. What the guys at EvoM are saying is basically that the Evo X GSR is "Mk1," leaving room for improvement in the 2009 model. Little things like this will be (hopefully) taken into account and fixed. I like to think that the costs that DIDN'T go into making a durable gas pedal went into the amazing handling and speed that it offers. tongue.gif Thanks though thumbs_up.gif

+Quote Post
Mitlov
post May 13 2008, 06:51 PM
Post #18

Halfabusa lover

QUOTE(porschedream @ May 13 2008, 06:07 PM) *

Honestly, I'm a bit frustrated with this genre as a whole right now. They're great cars, but their massive price tags erode their coolness in my eyes. The current EVO and STI have priced themselves into too expensive a market. I seem to remember the EVO and STI undercutting a base-engined 3-Series in price. Now, though, a loaded STI is almost exactly $40,000, and I think an EVO MR is about the same (maybe more?). Shoot, a 335i sedan is $38,900. Unless you're doing a lot of track days or genuine rallying, that's some mighty stiff competition for the same price.

Automobile Magazine recently did a 335xi versus EVO versus STI shootout based upon the same pricing concern:
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/0804_...35xi/index.html

+Quote Post
porschedream
post May 13 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #19

The Lord of The Rings

Yes, the 335xi is a strong competitor for the price range. I'm not familiar with the exact pricing in the states, however here in Canada the 335xi sedan is roughly $52,000, STi costing $45,000 and the MR costing $48,000. I'm sure most mature potential buyers interested that kind of market would opt for the 335xi, however because there is a strong fanbase for both Subaru and Mitsubishi, most potential customers already know what they want. Also, some buyers enjoy the rally, boy racer image of the EVO and STI, something the BMW lacks.

+Quote Post
dukenukem
post May 14 2008, 06:14 AM
Post #20

**Snuggles**

Member No.: 166
Car: 2006 Subaru WRX STI

QUOTE(Mitlov @ May 13 2008, 07:07 PM) *
huh.gif Says the guy driving around in a souped-up version of Subaru's cheapest US-market car...? Please tell me that sarcasm was dripping from your post. It's sometimes hard to detect sarcasm from ascii text.

Well the souped up version of Subaru's cheapest car is also their most expensive one .. funny how that works but anyways..
MY comment was just a general statement making fun of the veedumb cars.
That said the souped up econoboxes that are in question here are truer sports cars than some cars with 2 doors and 2 seats.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th November 2014 - 10:09 PM