Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Help me Help you, Writing wiki article, on winding road.
leif
post Jan 5 2007, 07:39 AM
Post #1

Scientist, Racecar driver, Hero

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,332
Car: 2001 Subaru Legacy

Ok, I'm sick of winding road coming out with this stream of non stop bullshit. They make wild claims about upcoming models, quoting members of the automotive industry, posting Photoshop’s with famous spy photographers names underneath them to give them credit...this is bullshit, and needs to stop.

I’m not delusional enough to think that I can go up against Winding road my self, I'm sure they employ all sorts of Lawyers to deal with the many "cease and desist" letters they surely receive on a daily basis...but I think a good place to start is to edit their Wiki entry. Right now it says:

Winding Road is a digital automotive magazine owned by Absolute Multimedia, Inc., of Austin, Texas, which also publishes 'The Absolute Sound' and 'The Perfect Vision.'. It focuses on enthusiast-oriented vehicles. Winding Road has a monthly digital magazine and a daily website.

The magazine's editor-in-chief, David E. Davis, Jr., is well-known in the automobile industry, having founded Automobile Magazine and taken Car and Driver to prominence in the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. Winding Road's editor is Reilly Brennan and its art director is Nate Luzod.

now I’m good at technical writing, but no good at writing entries for Wikipedia, nor adding photographs and such. So would someone like to help me edit this wiki?

Cheers

EDIT: This is what I wrote, its short, but concise.

Winding road, while providing general automotive news, often claims to be privy to “Inside Information” from the automotive industry, and posts “scoops” on their websites, the “scoops are normally accompanied by photographs of the models in question, with captions discussing their authenticity. These “Scoops” are often fabrications of Winding Road.

Recent examples of fabrications appearing on the Winding Road website include photographs of a Porsche Cayman, which was modified using an editing suite to complement an article about an upcoming Ferrari Model[1], and doctored pictures of a four seat Honda S2000[2].

Often the original Photographs doctored by Winding Road can be found using Google’s image search services. The website does not claim to own the images they post, however a Winding Road watermark is often added, as well as the names of noted Automotive Spy Photographers, such as Hans G. Lehmann.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Halflifehavock13
post Jan 5 2007, 08:14 AM
Post #2

Marginal Contributions

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,555

It'd be worth mentioning the infamous supervette/z07/blue ray

+Quote Post
leif
post Jan 5 2007, 08:20 AM
Post #3

I would like to make the wiki article very comprehensive, if you want to write something about that with references and such I would eb happy to add it.

I'm also going to write the editor of the magazine and ask him to comment on some of the content.

+Quote Post
Marien
post Jan 5 2007, 10:58 AM
Post #4

dot dot dot

Member No.: 1,890
Car: Renault Clio

Don't you think that all those lawyers you talk about won't take 5 minutes to remove the negative things in the article?

+Quote Post
leif
post Jan 5 2007, 11:19 AM
Post #5

then we can put it back, thats the beauty of Wiki

+Quote Post
Phix
post Jan 5 2007, 11:46 AM
Post #6

Banned

Member No.: 1,208
Car: N/A

leif, you're dumb.

It'll get edited, the neutrality of the article will be put into question, and then your IP will be blocked from editing anymore entries.

+Quote Post
mopho
post Jan 5 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #7

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 2,985
Car: Caterham 7/ Lotus Elan

It must be pretty damn boring up there in Winnipeg rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
leif
post Jan 5 2007, 01:03 PM
Post #8

how is the nutrality of the article in question?

everything I wrote is true, I put references in, I didn't use any words that could be construed as negative...and I didnt use any bias writing what I wrote (I edited what I posted here)

and phix, you don't need to start every reply with an insult, thats something boost would do.

+Quote Post
White RSX
post Jan 5 2007, 03:56 PM
Post #9

Super Great Guitar Player!

Member No.: 132

QUOTE(leif @ Jan 5 2007, 01:03 PM) *
and phix, you don't need to start every reply with an insult, thats something boost would do.

Oh fuck you.

=(

+Quote Post
Phix
post Jan 5 2007, 06:29 PM
Post #10

Banned

QUOTE(leif @ Jan 5 2007, 04:03 PM) *
how is the nutrality of the article in question?

everything I wrote is true, I put references in, I didn't use any words that could be construed as negative...and I didnt use any bias writing what I wrote (I edited what I posted here)

Where are your references? I just see links to Winding Road and Winding Road Daily News.

EDIT: And if you think those [1] and [2] links lead to anywhere... they don't.

+Quote Post
DaGonz
post Jan 5 2007, 09:38 PM
Post #11

Dieselstation Fire Rescue

Member No.: 149
Car: 2006 Mustang GT, 2007 Ford Edge, 2009 Ford F150 XLT 4x4

I think that Leif submitted an article to Winding Road.. and was rejected.... canadian.gif

Think for a minute...

with the competitive nature of the automotive media, if evena shred of the wild claims that Leif has made against Winding Road were true, they would be sued, their advertisiers would back out and the entire venture shut down.

There are also the libel and slander issues to deal with...

+Quote Post
leif
post Jan 5 2007, 09:45 PM
Post #12

go to the website and read somr of the stuff they say gonzo.

Then read the "privacy policy" where they outline their legal mumbo jumbo.

This:
Various pages on this website contain certain forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1993, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, which are intended to be covered by the safe harbors created thereby. Words such as "expects," "intends," "plans," "projects," "believes," "estimates," and similar expressions are used to identify such forward-looking statements.

Forward-looking statements relating to Absolute Multimedia, Inc. operations are based on management's expectations, estimates and projections about Absolute Multimedia, Inc. in effect on the date the statements were made. These statements are not guarantees of future performance and involve certain risks, uncertainties and assumptions that are difficult to predict. Further, certain forward-looking statements are based upon assumptions as to future events that may not prove to be accurate. Therefore, actual outcomes and results may differ materially from what is expressed or forecast in such forward-looking statements. Absolute Multimedia, Inc. undertakes no obligation to subsequently update or revise the forward-looking statements contained on this website to reflect events or circumstances after the date of posting.

is how they get away with it.

+Quote Post
mopho
post Jan 6 2007, 03:03 AM
Post #13

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 2,985
Car: Caterham 7/ Lotus Elan

QUOTE(leif @ Jan 5 2007, 07:39 AM) *
Ok, I'm sick of winding road coming out with this stream of non stop bullshit. They make wild claims about upcoming models, quoting members of the automotive industry, posting Photoshop’s with famous spy photographers names underneath them to give them credit...this is bullshit, and needs to stop.

Do you have any proof to support your accusations or are you just fabricating stuff because you believe it to be true? (pot calling the kettle black)

Winding road, while providing general automotive news, often claims to be privy to “Inside Information” from the automotive industry, and posts “scoops” on their websites, the “scoops are normally accompanied by photographs of the models in question, with captions discussing their authenticity. These “Scoops” are often fabrications of Winding Road.

Recent examples of fabrications appearing on the Winding Road website include photographs of a Porsche Cayman, which was modified using an editing suite to complement an article about an upcoming Ferrari Model[1], and doctored pictures of a four seat Honda S2000[2].

Often the original Photographs doctored by Winding Road can be found using Google’s image search services. The website does not claim to own the images they post, however a Winding Road watermark is often added, as well as the names of noted Automotive Spy Photographers, such as Hans G. Lehmann.

First off, creating photo illustrations of what upcoming cars MIGHT look like is a big part of those famous spy photographers business. Hans Lehmann/Hidden Image and Brenda Priddy and Company do more than just spy photos and they are more than just one person.
The reason why Hans Lehmann/ Hidden Image appears on the photo is because his company created the doctored photos!!!

Secondly, if they were stealing photos by doing a google search then they would open themselves up to a copyright infringement lawsuit. Copyright includes modifying someone else's photos

The reason they can use such photos is because the agencies that make the photo illustrations bought the rights to modify the photos for such purposes
Spy photo agencies often buy other photographers images and then put their name on it.

Additionally, ALL the magazines have been printing these kinds of digital photo illustrations for years and before that it was airbrushed photos of other cars made to look like a possible upcoming model, and before that it was drawings.
This practice is not exclusive to Winding Road

For example, recently almost all the mags published pics of the upcoming Lotus Esprit, the illustration was based on a Lamborghini Gallardo

None of these magazines, including Winding Road, claim that these illustrations or "scoops" are 100% correct, and that is why they have the boilerplate. IT'S CALLED SPECULATION!

As for the super Z06 prank, there was already spy photos and talk of the car going around BEFORE they played their joke (which they owned up to), so they were not entirely fabricating the information

I assume this is yours too...

Winging Road also claims to keep several spy photographers on staff, such as Hans G. Lehmann
...our spy shot photographer, Hans Lehmann, caught the 4×4 612 in testing in Maranello...

Really? I don't see Hans Lehmann's name listed on the masthead of the magazine.

It's common practice for mags to refer to the person who shot the picture for an article as "our photographer" even if they are not full time staff. It happens to me often (this month even).

But of course, as an expert, you really showed them rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Phix
post Jan 6 2007, 03:31 AM
Post #14

Banned

I love you, mopho.

+Quote Post
PBB
post Jan 6 2007, 03:58 AM
Post #15

Aeternum vale

Member No.: 636

Hey leaf, you know those stupid fanboys who keep editing the Supra page to say that the Supra will return? You're being even worse than them.

+Quote Post
leif
post Jan 6 2007, 07:36 AM
Post #16

I don't see how.

+Quote Post
midnightdorifto
post Jan 6 2007, 09:10 AM
Post #17

Race Driver

Member No.: 1,037

QUOTE(Phix @ Jan 6 2007, 03:31 AM) *
I love you, mopho.

+1

+Quote Post
Cyclone
post Jan 6 2007, 09:23 AM
Post #18

Mmmm that feels nice.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2
Car: 2005 Mazda 3 S 2.3 Sedan

lol leif being arrogant got thrown back in his face.

+Quote Post
skr
post Jan 6 2007, 09:23 AM
Post #19

Who's that skr guy?!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,036
Car: 2003 Subaru Legacy

Leif.

It is painfully obvious that nobody here really cares about your crusade in exposing Winding Road's "antics" and making a difference in life, much less anything else you have to say, unless they just want to bash you.

I would just quit now, because as far as the rest of DS is concerned, anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of DieselStation.

+Quote Post
leif
post Jan 6 2007, 11:30 AM
Post #20

skr, I am mainly joking...I did add something to the wiki...but I really don't care what alot of people here think about it...especially the ones who take me way to seriously. Thats not to say I don't like DS, I like it alot...but some people need to chill out, or find a hobby.

It is true that I don't like Winding road, and personally I don't understand how they can operate, nor why atcual journalists would attach their names to something which is so fradulant...but hay, lots of things piss me off.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2018 - 11:30 AM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here