Reply to this topicStart new topic
> To Ketan - re: Decisions
midnightdorifto
post Sep 15 2008, 02:44 PM
Post #1

Race Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,037

Phix was banned. 10,304 posts after he joined 4 years ago.

Why?

I'd PM you, but this is a matter of public contention.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Sep 15 2008, 03:02 PM
Post #2

Talkin' the talk since 2003

Group: Admin
Member No.: 27
Car: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T

I too would like to understand the reasoning behind this.

+Quote Post
Razor
post Sep 15 2008, 04:01 PM
Post #3

IT SLIDES!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3,670
Car: Volkswagen R32 Mk V

Thirded. Even he doesn't deserve that... by any means. sad.gif

+Quote Post
moe
post Sep 16 2008, 04:20 AM
Post #4

Posting God

Member No.: 1,451

The people have spoken. We want our Phix back.

+Quote Post
Mitlov
post Sep 16 2008, 06:34 AM
Post #5

Halfabusa lover

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,525

I think Phix is a douche. I think he's a classic example of the cronyism and abrasive nature of the long time members that Synesthesia aptly described in post #95 of the linked thread. I think he needed a reality check when he (referring to himself and a handful of others) declared DS "our house" and suggested that those who didn't fit in with that clique should "get the hell out of our house now."

All that said, unless he did something that the rest of us don't know about, I think a ban was not the right solution. When members are banned because of personal conflicts, despite not having broken any stated rules or generally accepted rules of conduct, it has a chilling effect on discussion throughout the forum. Nobody likes a forum where you have to tiptoe around the personalities of those who have the power to ban because others have been banned without breaking a known rule and without any other sort of explanation.

Keeping in mind that this is a request, not a demand (because this forum is Ketan's private property and he has the right to be as arbitrary as he pleases), I'd like to have either (a) Phix unbanned, or (b) an explanation as to why he was banned and will stay banned.

+Quote Post
dukenukem
post Sep 16 2008, 09:49 AM
Post #6

**Snuggles**

Member No.: 166
Car: 2006 Subaru WRX STI

+Quote Post
Mitlov
post Sep 16 2008, 10:45 AM
Post #7

Halfabusa lover

QUOTE(dukenukem @ Sep 16 2008, 10:49 AM) *

Why is it "drama" to ask for an explanation as to why a member was banned?

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Sep 16 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #8

Mitlov, phix has never been 100% serious about the "our house" thing. Though he never did like you at all so you probably picked up on that a lot...still, he didn't deserve a ban.

+Quote Post
moe
post Sep 16 2008, 11:31 AM
Post #9

Posting God

I think everyone's in agreement of his wrongful banning.

+Quote Post
Mitlov
post Sep 16 2008, 12:05 PM
Post #10

Halfabusa lover

QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Sep 16 2008, 12:02 PM) *
Mitlov, phix has never been 100% serious about the "our house" thing. Though he never did like you at all so you probably picked up on that a lot.

It makes no difference to me whether he was serious about the clique thing in general, because it wasn't hard to tell that he was 100% serious that he wanted me off the forum. And that's nothing new. But it also didn't bother me one bit. I think he's a douche; he thinks I'm a douche. There's a nice symmetry to that, and so long as I'm not warned or banned because he personally doesn't like me, I don't see anything wrong with that situation.

...still, he didn't deserve a ban.

Yeah, basically.

+Quote Post
nismo
post Sep 16 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #11

Only the Soul survives

Member No.: 813
Car: Honda

I have Mitlov figured out.

Since he's a layer, he HAS to argue everything.

XD

+Quote Post
moe
post Sep 16 2008, 04:11 PM
Post #12

Posting God

^ You mean lawyer.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Sep 16 2008, 04:38 PM
Post #13

Why you gotta be such a layer, Mitlov? Not cool nono.gif

+Quote Post
nismo
post Sep 16 2008, 05:44 PM
Post #14

Only the Soul survives

Member No.: 813
Car: Honda

Haha, I didn't mean it in a mean way.

+Quote Post
Mitlov
post Sep 16 2008, 07:49 PM
Post #15

Halfabusa lover

Layers! Onions have layers. Ogres have layers. Onions have layers. You get it? We both have layers.

+Quote Post
Dieselstation
post Sep 17 2008, 03:36 PM
Post #16

Race Driver

Member No.: 2,036

Hi Guys,

There are couple of reason why I had banned Phix & Cyclone:

1. I have frequently seen them a lot involved in personal conflicts with several members, which is there-by leading to lot of personal dramas per se.
2. Recently when the server went down during the move, they both worded strongly against the existence of dieselstation.com. They want the dieselstation.com to go to Hell then why should they visit us.

Those are two reason why I had banned them. I would like to hear from you guys what you have to say.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Sep 17 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #17

The first one is semi-valid, but ignores that they spend most of their time being contributing members to the forum. The second one is totally petty and stupid. If you were genuinely worried about their attitudes, then a no-warning ban was not the place to start. Also, I think on matters of "culture clash" within the forum, that's much better left up to people who are forum regulars. I've learned repeatedly that those matters require extended discussion amongst the regulars and that any quick, spiteful actions will lead to nothing.

+Quote Post
Mitlov
post Sep 17 2008, 04:00 PM
Post #18

Halfabusa lover

QUOTE(Dieselstation @ Sep 17 2008, 04:36 PM) *
Hi Guys,

1. I have frequently seen them a lot involved in personal conflicts with several members, which is there-by leading to lot of personal dramas per se.
2. Recently when the server went down during the move, they both worded strongly against the existence of dieselstation.com. They want the dieselstation.com to go to Hell then why should they visit us.

Those are two reason why I had banned them. I would like to hear from you guys what you have to say.

Ketan,

Thanks for the explanation.

(1) Sure, there had been some personal drama, but it's an internet forum. Personal drama happens on the internet. It's unavoidable. In addition to that personal drama, both Cyclone and Phix do know their shit about cars, and frequently contributed positively to forum discussions on that front. In my opinion, the fact that a member of a forum does not get along with a portion of the other members should not result in a ban if they frequently contribute positively to on-topic discussions, which both Phix and Cyclone did. That's the reasoning a lot of members used when they asked clarkma5 to unban me, and I think it's equally applicable here.

(2) I think this is merely a case of over-the-top rhetoric that probably should not have been taken at face value. Obviously, if they really didn't want dieselstation.com to exist, they would have left voluntarily, long ago. But they didn't. Ever been in an apartment with some leaky plumbing, and said at a moment of frustration "I'd be better off living in my car"? You don't really mean it literally, it's just venting with over-the-top rhetoric. Ever had your car break down and say to yourself "I really ought to just pour gasoline on this POS and burn it"? Once again, you don't really mean it. It's just cathartic venting.

As much as I personally don't like either Phix or Cyclone, I think it's safe to say (1) the two of them are definitely good for the overall health and activity of this board, and (2) if Phix's ban is not undone, it sounds from this thread that we could lose several more regulars, reducing DS's forums to a veritable ghost town. For these reasons, I wholeheartedly encourage you to lift Phix's ban.

I know that the forums are not your primary source of income, but given that there are some banner ads in the forums (one per page for logged-in members, and several for guests reading the debates), I'm guessing that the forums do contribute somewhat to your income from this site. So not only would lifting Phix's ban be nice for the other members of this forum (not one of whom has stated that he thinks Phix should stay banned), but it would probably be good for the overall level of discussion and traffic on the forum, which may serve your own interests as well.

+Quote Post
midnightdorifto
post Sep 17 2008, 05:03 PM
Post #19

Race Driver

Member No.: 1,037

QUOTE(Dieselstation @ Sep 17 2008, 03:36 PM) *
Hi Guys,

I disagree with your reasoning and your methods. These guys have been here for years and have added a lot to this place to make it what it is.

+Quote Post
Synesthesia
post Sep 17 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #20

Race Driver

Member No.: 2,585

Not that it necessarily matters to the discussion, but...what?? Cyclone doesn't say jack shit anymore!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2019 - 11:12 PM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here