Guests cannot vote 
Bjorn
post Apr 22 2009, 06:29 AM
Post #21

Race Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,080
Car: 2009 Subaru Legacy

^Bullshit, there were only a handful of these made, and they currently sell for millions each. The drivers of these are not looking for penis extensions, they are buying a car which epitomizes Ferrari.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phix
post Apr 22 2009, 06:38 AM
Post #22

Banned

Member No.: 1,208
Car: N/A

This car is shorter than your Cobalt.

Not to mention the cab isn't even set that far back and guess what? There's a fucking V12 in there.

Fuck, I can't believe you use a Family Guy gag as a rule of thumb on what makes a car cool or not for you.

+Quote Post
midnightdorifto
post Apr 22 2009, 09:45 AM
Post #23

Race Driver

Member No.: 1,037

QUOTE(UserDrew @ Apr 22 2009, 12:29 AM) *
I'm going to go against the grain on this. Great car? Hell yeah. Good design? Yes. Do I think it's cool? No.

Whenever I see cars of this design; longer hoods with a set back cabin such as the Jag E-Type and the C4 Corvette I think of the type of people who are exemplified by Peter Griffen in the Family Guy episode where he becomes insecure about his penis size and buys the sports car which has a phallic shape to it. And I cant help but see the same thing in all cars with similar designs. The cool wall isn't about how much we like a car, or how good it is. It is instead about the image about the driver. I see this and I think of Peter Griffin worried about his penis size which makes it uncool.

I am seriously shocked that anyone could look at this car and vote uncool. This car is the EPITOME of what is cool in the automotive world. Let's look at a rundown of the facts here:

- Race on Sunday, drive to work on Monday. This car was considered to be the last of its kind that could be driven to the track, run a serious international sports car event, win the serious international sports car event, and be driven home at the end of the day.

- This car was designed, engineered, and built for speed. The long hood on this car, debuting right around the same time as the E-type, became a sports car staple, as it allowed for better balance of weight by moving the engine back to get the distribution as equal as possible. The designers for the iconic Fairlady/240 Z claimed that this was their biggest inspiration for design.

- Each one of the 36 examples of the Series I, and later, the 7 examples of the Series II (body by Scaglietti, 4 were rebodied Series I's) were each hand picked by Il Commendatore personally. If you have to look that word up, I would suggest that you do not possess the qualifications as even a base level Tifosi to estimate this cars cosmically high coolness factor.

- Hell, have a look below:

Notice anything missing? Oh yeah, this car was enough of a race car to have no bloody speedometer.

- Lastly, the entire postulation that someone drives a fast FR car that has a good weight distribution, or even any car at all, that compensates for penile length is bullshit and rather obnoxious, on the same level of distaste as calling the Miata or Mini a car for gay people. Each one of those cars you mentioned was competent, fast, and rather good looking (look at everything else coming out of GM when the C4 was made, it was good looking by comparison. Just roll with it.) It is always fun to watch folks pick on the guy with the Miata, only to get their asses handed to them on the track by him. Or the folks that postulate that all BMW owners are pricks when they meet an extraordinarily nice one. One day, we'll be able to overcome this stereotype that ruins good cars and sullies the reputations of good people.

+Quote Post
moe
post Apr 22 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #24

Posting God

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,451
Car: '13 Toyota 86

Doriftowned.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Apr 22 2009, 12:27 PM
Post #25

Talkin' the talk since 2003

Group: Admin
Member No.: 27
Car: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T

I could see voting uncool mainly on the basis that everyone thinks it's so awesome and if it doesn't really tickle your pickle, then why jump on the bandwagon? I could've found myself voting neutral, to be 100% honest...but then again I've never been a big classic car guy nor a big ferrari fan. But I gave it the cool for how it looks, if anything.

+Quote Post
4wheelfreak
post Apr 22 2009, 04:50 PM
Post #26

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 4,412
Car: 1998 BMW 328is

I'm not a big classic guy...
but its a fucking classic Ferrari. Frozen.

+Quote Post
UserDrew
post Apr 22 2009, 09:33 PM
Post #27

Latent racecar driver

Member No.: 1,455
Car: 2006 Slobalt, '65 Karmann Ghia

QUOTE(midnightdorifto @ Apr 22 2009, 10:45 AM) *
I am seriously shocked that anyone could look at this car and vote uncool. This car is the EPITOME of what is cool in the automotive world. Let's look at a rundown of the facts here:

- Race on Sunday, drive to work on Monday. This car was considered to be the last of its kind that could be driven to the track, run a serious international sports car event, win the serious international sports car event, and be driven home at the end of the day.

- This car was designed, engineered, and built for speed. The long hood on this car, debuting right around the same time as the E-type, became a sports car staple, as it allowed for better balance of weight by moving the engine back to get the distribution as equal as possible. The designers for the iconic Fairlady/240 Z claimed that this was their biggest inspiration for design.

- Each one of the 36 examples of the Series I, and later, the 7 examples of the Series II (body by Scaglietti, 4 were rebodied Series I's) were each hand picked by Il Commendatore personally. If you have to look that word up, I would suggest that you do not possess the qualifications as even a base level Tifosi to estimate this cars cosmically high coolness factor.

- Hell, have a look below:

Notice anything missing? Oh yeah, this car was enough of a race car to have no bloody speedometer.

- Lastly, the entire postulation that someone drives a fast FR car that has a good weight distribution, or even any car at all, that compensates for penile length is bullshit and rather obnoxious, on the same level of distaste as calling the Miata or Mini a car for gay people. Each one of those cars you mentioned was competent, fast, and rather good looking (look at everything else coming out of GM when the C4 was made, it was good looking by comparison. Just roll with it.) It is always fun to watch folks pick on the guy with the Miata, only to get their asses handed to them on the track by him. Or the folks that postulate that all BMW owners are pricks when they meet an extraordinarily nice one. One day, we'll be able to overcome this stereotype that ruins good cars and sullies the reputations of good people.

Your standards for coolness are very subjective. Perhaps you thought your ideas where universal because fueled by other people's votes. None of these standards where considered in my vote. I know it's rare. I know that the owners list is exclusive and that now just adds to its uncoolness as now it won't do any of those things you listed. It'll just sit in some wealthy person's collection, it's no more than a $15 million eye candy. If it just sits in a garage then it no longer does what it was designed to do making a "cool" judgment off of its engineering a moot point. Everything about this car makes it a hands-down classic and the best super car of the 1960s but from there I couldn't make the jump to coolness.

Classic | Coolness. Two different things that do not necessarily relate. They are two different qualities. Sure you can have one car that is of both, and I recognize this car as being a classic. It no longer has to race, or be driven so long as its presence is enjoyed. Exclusivity is a factor in "classicness" but not so much coolness. Why? There have been pretty damn uncool exclusive cars. Sometimes people who can be considered uncool get their hands on exclusive cars or favor them in someway and that can prevent a car from being cool. Or there can be really cool people out there who are also really good drivers who probably deserve the car quite a bit but are prevented from being allowed ownership. Or it there could be a general consensus that the exclusive car is uncool.

From there I got hung up over the shape of the front end of this thing. It just simply does not sit well with me. Some people may think that the arch and strange sloping front angle is an awesome design. Functionally speaking, I am certain it is. But when functionality is no longer an issue it is just a scrunchy looking front end with exaggerated arches. I cant think about how on a track this thing would look somewhat out of balance with the scrunched front end and the thicker rear. So does styling equate to coolness? Somewhat. Beauty is also fairly subjective as we have an atomistic take on what we each consider to be attractive so you cant completely leap to a universal coolness based solely on one's singular idea.

So how does one determine coolness? Perhaps you can look at badge and personality type connections. It maybe somewhat fallacious but it can work. It's what I did here. I simply used family guy a a means to put what I see in this car's styling into perspective believing that there were other family guy fans here who would then see what I see. I wasn't looking for agreement. So, in the end, it just doesn't "tickle my pickle".

+Quote Post
Dr. Strangelove
post Apr 27 2009, 08:39 AM
Post #28

VTEC yo!

Member No.: 2,309
Car: 2007 Honda S2000

^ You suck at deciding cool.

OK here is a quick little story about this car:

My dad is pretty good friends with a former funny car driver. This is one of those guys who has worked as a mechanic for tons of racing teams and groups over the years, but he LOVES American Muscle to no end. He doesn't like foreign cars at all, and is pretty much your stereotypical old school American gear head.

He's only really interested in drag racing and pretty much has polar opposite interests to me. One day out of boredom, I asked him what was the favorite car he has ever driven. I fully expected him to say some old 1,000 hp hot rod or something, but no. He answered without a split second's delay; the Ferrari 250 GTO. He said there is nothing like it on the planet, it was perfect.

+Quote Post
Phix
post Apr 27 2009, 08:51 AM
Post #29

Banned

Member No.: 1,208
Car: N/A

*sniffs* what a touching story on so many levels.

thank you for sharing that. smile.gif you should see about selling it as a movie...

+Quote Post
Dr. Strangelove
post Apr 28 2009, 07:39 PM
Post #30

VTEC yo!

Member No.: 2,309
Car: 2007 Honda S2000

QUOTE(Phix @ Apr 27 2009, 09:51 AM) *
*sniffs* what a touching story on so many levels.

thank you for sharing that. smile.gif you should see about selling it as a movie...

Wait a minute...

+Quote Post
shandyman5
post Apr 28 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #31

LSX LOL

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,781
Car: 2002 Ford Mustang GT/99 Subaru Outback

epic cool. End of Story.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2018 - 04:23 AM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here