> drove a nissan 240SX
Mr b00st
post Dec 13 2004, 03:27 PM
Post #1

That Frigging BMW Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 222
Car: 1997 BMW 328i

really liked it! car was a 1994 fastback (not the coupe, the hatch) with popups (which are just ubercool IMO!) car only had 55,xxx miles on it... was an automatic though.

some observations:

if you're tall this car isn't for you. I'm 6'2" about 206 lbs (although that depends on which liqour store i'm robbing) and there was not much headroom left for me, and the seat was all the way back and my legs weren't all stretched out. Although it wouldn't be uncomfortable, i wouldn't to cross the country in one. If it had a sunroof, it'd definetely be out of the game.

the engine is a mixed bag. It sounds pretty cool, but this is coming from a *snore* volvo 850 driver. Kinda gravely. NOT a smooth revver at all, although it does flip around the tach pretty easily. Not very refined but even with the automatic it wasn't lacking in overtaking power.

ride and handling were as expected- minimal body roll, not a very tight structure but it felt fairly accurate, overboosted but accurate and very fast steering. Quite a nimble handler but it sure doesn't beat you to death.

love the interior, especially the cloth surface on the glovebox wub.gif that's really cool, the dashboard looks very modern (except for the HVAC controls, so 80's but who cares?) steering wheel didn't have a damned airbag and was better off for it, very nice looking piece of kit.

Seat were relatively supportive but pretty thin and quite low. Not a problem.

Fun to drive, though! Zippy thing, sounded all growly, overtaking slower traffic was a blast. only 150bhp? Hmm.

If i wanted one though, it'd HAVE to be a five speed. I just couldn't see logically buying a car that nifty and getting a damn autobox. Shame it's premium-fuel only.

nice car though! hers was like a time warp... ten years old and it pretty much felt new.

ratings (of 10)

style: 8
engine character: 7
engine power: 8
transmission: 4
interior comfort: 6
ride: 7
handling: 8
gotta-have-it: 6
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Dec 13 2004, 03:30 PM
Post #2

Talkin' the talk since 2003

Group: Admin
Member No.: 27
Car: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T

An interesting review. No pics?

+Quote Post
Mr b00st
post Dec 13 2004, 03:34 PM
Post #3

That Frigging BMW Driver

no, i'm sorry. But it looks like every other white 240SX hatch in teh world. except clean.

+Quote Post
DakianDelomast
post Dec 13 2004, 05:28 PM
Post #4

I will stand, or I will fall. But I will not sit.

Member No.: 58
Car: Miata & RX-7

Install RB20DET problem solved.

+Quote Post
Mr b00st
post Dec 13 2004, 05:30 PM
Post #5

That Frigging BMW Driver

wtf? Why would you install the 200 horse iron block RB20 with 205 horsepower when the alum block SR20 is lighter with the same power??

+Quote Post
DakianDelomast
post Dec 13 2004, 05:31 PM
Post #6

Because 6 > 4

+Quote Post
Mr b00st
post Dec 13 2004, 05:38 PM
Post #7

That Frigging BMW Driver

no, a 450lb engine w/ancilliaries and 205bhp<a 350lb engine with ancilliaries and 200bhp.

of course i dont mean to start a great debate... this is all opinion, i know the RB series is smoother and considerably torquier than the SR... but if your'e doing an RB block, why the hell not the RB25DET from the R33 GTS-t?

+Quote Post
DakianDelomast
post Dec 13 2004, 05:40 PM
Post #8

Well it wouldn't be stock for starters numbnuts. And the tuning potential of an RB series motor will always be greater than that of an SR.

And the SR20 is the new B18 which pisses me off.

Hell I'd throw in a VG30DETT before I even touched the SR20.

+Quote Post
Mr b00st
post Dec 13 2004, 05:46 PM
Post #9

That Frigging BMW Driver

i edited my post

come on, you think an RB20DET has more potential than an SR20? maybe a 25 or a 26 but theres not much of an aftermarket for the 20 compared to the SR

and whats wrong with the B18, again? It's a good engine, a bit short on torque but nice and robust and a clean revver, responds well to boost and a huge aftermarket. or is it just too cliche?

how about dropping in a 13b REW? or a blown LT1? :lmao: that'd be SICK.

+Quote Post
DakianDelomast
post Dec 13 2004, 05:52 PM
Post #10

The problem with the B18 motor is all the fanboys got ahold of them and are blowing them to pieces. The prices have skyrocketed to got knows how high. Now the SR20 is suffering a similar fate. For what a Honda boy would have just in getting ahold of a B18C motor you could have the ENTIRE front clip out of an S13 silvia so all the hard stuff was taken care of. Now the prices of the motors alone have shot up just the same. Supply and demand I guess.

The RB20 has plenty of aftermarket from overseas because they play with the things all the damn time. Best of all though, the bastards are CHEAP.

+Quote Post
Mr b00st
post Dec 13 2004, 06:10 PM
Post #11

That Frigging BMW Driver

dakian, you know, you're a very hard person to hate because even though i occasionally don't agree with you i don't mind arguing with you; you're always able to BACK UP what you say and i respect that.

agree to disagree? There are logical points to both sides of the argument.

+Quote Post
DakianDelomast
post Dec 13 2004, 06:19 PM
Post #12

Its better than being a flaming fanboy biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Xterra Owner
post Dec 14 2004, 03:12 PM
Post #13

Shift Noob

Member No.: 1,219

I would've given the 240SX no more than about a 5/10 in the interior comfort area. They are one of the most uncomfortable cars I've ever been in. Sure, the comfort is pretty good when you get in, but then drive about 30 miles and see where your lower back stands.

+Quote Post
Mr b00st
post Dec 14 2004, 07:39 PM
Post #14

That Frigging BMW Driver

well i didn't drive it for an extended period.

and i'm no flaming fanboy!!

+Quote Post
DakianDelomast
post Dec 14 2004, 07:55 PM
Post #15

I was refering to other certain members.

+Quote Post
BLacK FirE
post Dec 14 2004, 08:44 PM
Post #16

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 228

who the hell cares if other people are doing the sr20det swap. theres a reason they do it, because it works. And like boost said, if you're going to go with an rb series, the rb25det should be choice.

IDK what prices you're looking at but b18b's can be had for under 1000, b16's are fairly cheap too. You're only going to start getting expensive if you get a jdm type r. Plus b engines are going to start to drop in price once the k-series starts to pick up even more.

+Quote Post
DakianDelomast
post Dec 14 2004, 09:21 PM
Post #17

There is a very limited number to how many engines are our ther Black Fire. The B16 was only in two cars in the US. The Del Sol and the Civic Si so USDM motors are hard to come by. Of course you can always get a motor from japan but importing them is getting to be a bit more of a pain. If you know a buddy of a buddy that can get a motor for under 1000 then more power to you.

I don't have these buddies. I only know what I see on assorted websites and engine dealers and your standard B series motor cannot be had for less than 1500 dollars right now and that's usually without the transmission.

And I don't like things that are "popular" for the record and I'd rather go about things the hard way and have something that's a little more unique on my hands than just "fit in".

Edit: And to drive my point home let me prove that I'm not making this up.

http://www.jhpusa.com/catalog/index.php?cP...5e221a1dbb0311a
Cheapest motor is 1300 before shipping AND it has a cable tranny which isn't a whole lot of fun to swap.

http://www.jspecjdm.net/
Yes there is a engine for 875 dollars but look, no transmission. How far are you going to get without a tranny?

http://www.jdmcars.com/merchant2/merchant....ry_Code=perfeng
Is my point proven yet?

+Quote Post
tune
post Dec 15 2004, 05:07 AM
Post #18

Lighting Consultant

Member No.: 719
Car: '07 Fiat Bravo

240SX's are awesome.

+Quote Post
eraser_rx
post Dec 15 2004, 05:35 AM
Post #19

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 621
Car: 2004 Impreza RS

QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Dec 13 2004, 03:27 PM)
car only had 55,xxx miles on it... was an automatic though.

are you sure that the car didn't go 55xxx over the dial limit?

i mean 199,999 + 55,xxx miles? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
BLacK FirE
post Dec 15 2004, 09:06 AM
Post #20

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 228

QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Dec 15 2004, 12:21 AM)
There is a very limited number to how many engines are our ther Black Fire.  The B16 was only in two cars in the US.  The Del Sol and the Civic Si so USDM motors are hard to come by.  Of course you can always get a motor from japan but importing them is getting to be a bit more of a pain.  If you know a buddy of a buddy that can get a motor for under 1000 then more power to you.

I don't have these buddies.  I only know what I see on assorted websites and engine dealers and your standard B series motor cannot be had for less than 1500 dollars right now and that's usually without the transmission.

And I don't like things that are "popular" for the record and I'd rather go about things the hard way and have something that's a little more unique on my hands than just "fit in".

But when you go with a motor that a lot of other people have, it makes it easier to mod. You know the aftermarket is there. I've never seen/heard of anyone swapping in an rb20 so it would probably be a lot harder to get parts for it than the sr20 or rb25.

Also you have to know where you're going with engines. If I'm not buying one from a private person, then the only place I would go to would be hmo because I know I will not get ripped off. And sometimes the extra price is worth the security of knowing you're getting a good motor.

Plus like I said just wait for the K-series to get more popular. I'm already seeing a lot of people do it. I even seen people selling the rsx type-s motor for $3,000.

edit:

You also have to remember there are good things and bad things about something going mainstream. With the advent of drifting and people wanting 240sx's, you're going to see it easier to get more quality parts at a better price. But then there's the fact that it went mainstream, driving up the cost of the car and having all of these dumbasses that don't know their left hand from their right in the scene.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th October 2018 - 07:26 PM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here