> F1 2011, Cars and Driver News
tune
post Nov 15 2010, 06:37 AM
Post #1

Lighting Consultant

Group: Members
Member No.: 719
Car: '07 Fiat Bravo

Now I know the 2010 season has literally just finished, however there is some news about new drivers/driver moves already circulating, so I thought I would begin the thread for next year.

For starters, Hulkenburg confirms he won't be at Williams next year: F1Fanatic

2011 Entry List

Bold is confirmed.

Red Bull Racing
1. Sebastian Vettel
2. Mark Webber

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
3. Jenson Button
4. Lewis Hamilton

Scuderia Ferrari Marboloro
5. Fernando Alonso
6. Felipe Massa

Mercedes GP Petronas F1 Team
7. Michael Schumacher
8. Nico Rosberg

Renault F1 Team
9. Robert Kubica
10. Vitaly Petrov

AT&T Williams
11. Rubens Barrichello
12. Pastor Maldonado

Force India F1 Team
14. Adrian Sutil
15. Paul Di Resta

Sauber F1 Team
16. Kamui Kobayashi
17. Sergio Perez

Scuderia Toro Rosso
18. Jaime Alguesuari
19. Sebastien Buemi

Team Lotus
20. Jarno Trulli
21. Heikki Kovalainen

HRT F1 Team
22. Narain Karthikeyan
23. Bruno Senna? Karun Chandhok? Sakon Yamamoto? Christian Klien?

Marussia Virgin Racing
24. Timo Glock
25. Jerome D'Ambrosio
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
moe
post Nov 15 2010, 07:19 AM
Post #2

Posting God

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,451
Car: '13 Toyota 86

Yeah Williams offered him a shitty deal where he'd have to drive for HRT next season.

Lets get this thread started:

RBR - Vettel & Webber? - I've heard lots of rumors on Twitter today that Webber may be exiting F1, contract or not.

McLaren - Hamilton & Button - pretty solid line-up there.

Ferrari - Alonso & Massa? - Lots of rumors that Massa may be out, and in fact, Kubica may be in. Not sure about that one though. Ferrari's second driver is usually willing to be, or can be made to play bitch for their top driver. Kubica wouldn't be a good idea on that note.

Mercedes - Rosberg & Schumi? - Still a few rumors that Schumi may call it quits after a lackluster comeback. I doubt it, I think he'll give it another go to prove he's still got it.

Williams - Barichello & Maldonado? - Recently crowned GP2 champion has been linked with replacing Hulkenberg, now that the Hulk is out, I think this is the guy we'll see in his place. He's got lots of sponsorship cash as well.

Renault - Kubica? & Petrov? - I don't think Kubica will move unless he gets a drive from a top team (RBR or Ferrari), but Petrov is a question mark. Given the amount of cash he's bringing, and a great performance holding off Alonso at Yas, I think he'll stick around.

Force India - Sutil? & Liuzzi? - Even though Liuzzi has a contract, I think he's not secure right now. Sutil hasn't confirmed to my knowledge, and Di Resti's waiting in the wings. Never mind that Chandok has been closely linked to a drive there as well. If Sutil confirms he wants to stay, I think they'll keep him.

Torro Rosso - Alguesari & Buemi - Don't think anything will change here.

Sauber - Kobayashi & Perez

Virgin - Glock & ? - D'Ambrosio's been linked to getting Di Grassi's seat, there still Di Grassi of course. Also with Marussia buying a huge interest in the team, Petrov may be in the running if Petrov leaves Renault.

Lotus - Trulli & Kovalinen - I don't think there'll be any changes here, though I've heard some reportedly false rumors of Trulli jumping ship. Also, Malaysian driver, Fauzy, is waiting in the wings.

HRT - ? - I've heard Senna's had trouble delivering the finances he promised to the team, and Chandok (who I thought was impressive in a crap car) has basically been all but given the boot. Still, he's in talks with HRT, and there's still Yamamoto and Klein.

Other drivers: Heidfeld - Probably the best driver without a drive. Deserves to get a drive more than anyone else.
Hulkenberg - A promising driver, given the shaft...sort of. He's in talks with teams, and looking for a drive.
Chandok - Apparently in talks with Force India, HRT, and two other teams.
De La Rosa - I think this is the end of his F1 career. Really nowhere to go for him with all the younger, promising talent out there.
Di Grassi - Thought he was pretty good as well, but think he'll be replaced at Virgin regardless.
Raikkonen - Kind of a wild card, but you never know.
D'Ambrosion - GP2 runner-up, and very well funded from what I've heard.

+Quote Post
moe
post Nov 15 2010, 07:28 AM
Post #3

Posting God

Interesting, my boss, who's a HARDCORE F1 fan. Thinks Webber may leave Red Bull and replace Massa at Ferrari...not sure what to make of that...

+Quote Post
skr
post Nov 15 2010, 10:10 AM
Post #4

Who's that skr guy?!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,036
Car: 2003 Subaru Legacy

I'd love to see Chandhok at Force India. It would be a global marketing bonanza for India, given that their country will be hosting a GP for 2011.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Nov 15 2010, 12:47 PM
Post #5

Talkin' the talk since 2003

Member No.: 27
Car: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T

Heidfeld's been in talks with Renault to replace Petrov, but it's hard to know where that might go since Petrov is heavily tipped to stay at Renault. Maybe Petrov will end up as their reserve driver?

D'Ambrosio sounds like a sure bet to replace Di Grassi to me.

A few races ago Force India confirmed that Di Resta would have a race seat next year but it seems like everyone (including Force India, oddly) has forgotten about that.

Considering Hulkenburg's out, Maldonado seems pretty certain for Williams but there are a lot of good drivers on the market, you never know if they might pick up someone like Heidfeld or Petrov or De La Rosa or something.

Raikkonen is definitely not in F1 next year, that's definitely settled.

+Quote Post
bobo27
post Nov 15 2010, 01:08 PM
Post #6

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 1,377

So what is happening with Renault F1?

PARIS - Renault is set to sell its remaining 25% stake in the Renault F1 Team to Proton, according to French newspaper Le Figaro.

Both parties are due to sign a contract formalising the deal on Wednesday, it said in a report on Friday.

Quoting unnamed sources, the newspaper claimed that Proton's Group Lotus brand will then become the title sponsor, in a 30 million euros (S$53 million) per season deal over five years.

Asked to comment, Renault president and CEO Carlos Ghosn would only say that "we'll be there next year and in future seasons."

Le Figaro said Renault's role in F1 will be reduced to that of an engine supplier to the renamed Lotus-Renault, Red Bull and Lotus Racing next year.

Renault had sold 75% of the F1 team to investment firm Genii Capital Partners late last year.

So Renault F1 becomes Lotus-Renault F1, and then Lotus will stick around? I am confused on this as there are no solid reports just these blurbs.

+Quote Post
moe
post Nov 15 2010, 02:53 PM
Post #7

Posting God

Tony Fernandes is none to happy with Lotus right now (he was pretty vocal on Twitter). But the Lotus licensing agreement was only supposed to last a year, and they would see whether they wanted to renew it past that. Thing is, with Lotus's aggressive assault on Ferrari/Porsche/Lambo in the world of road cars, having a backmarker team (regardless of how good their progress was), is bad for marketing. Especially when they have such high aspirations. So Lotus elected not to renew the licensing agreement, and decided to get their own team. Hence, Lotus-Renault. I doubt the current Lotus team will have the same name next year, despite their announcement to use the famous black & gold colors.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Nov 15 2010, 03:22 PM
Post #8

I think Proton/Group Lotus are being complete dicks, to be honest. They're basically developing leverage with Renault to cut Lotus Racing (aka Team Lotus in 2011, until this malarky has put that into question...) off at the pass, despite the fact that Lotus Racing has done the Lotus name proud and developed a strong new team with what appears to be a bright future, while Proton embarks on a spiteful exercise in branding...

+Quote Post
bobo27
post Nov 15 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #9

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 1,377

Ok I did some more digging around and found this article, which paints a clearer picture on some of these issues.
Its still interesting what will happen with the 2010 Lotus team. Doesn't Renault have a sponsorship deal with Lada for a few more years, so it will be Lotus-Renault-Lada.
Formula 1: Virgin, Renault, HRT Teams Changing Owners

Marussia Motors, a Russian sports-car maker, is now a major shareholder in Virgin Racing.
Malaysian carmaker Proton is reportedly set to announce a buyout of Renault's ownership of the Renault F1 team.
First-year team HRT reportedly will announce a deal linking it to the former Toyota F1 team.

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates News and rumors were rampant at the season finale Abu Dhabi Grand Prix regarding changes in ownership of three teams.
One of the items is a done deal. Russian sports car manufacturer Marussia Motors has taken a major shareholding in the Virgin Racing Formula 1 team, it was announced during activities leading up to the Abu Dhabi race.

Virgin team principal John Booth described the deal as "a four-year sponsorship" and said, "It is a significant investment, not a takeover." The team will be known as Marussia Virgin Racing.

Marussia has been a partner since the inception of Virgin Racing. The car company, founded in 2007 by racing driver Nikolay Fomenko, introduced its first product at the 2009 Frankfurt Auto Show. The B1 premium sports model is powered by a Cosworth engine.

Cosworth is also the engine supplier for Virgin F1.
The Paris daily Le Figaro reported Saturday that Proton, the Malaysian carmaker, will announce on Wednesday a takeover of the 25 percent stake Renault owns in the F1 team bearing the name of the French auto marque. The report was unconfirmed.

According to the newspaper, Proton's Lotus car brand will become title sponsor of the team, to be called Lotus-Renault. The report stated that the F1 team now known as Lotus Racing and Red Bull would continue to receive engines from Renault as well.

Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn was quoted as saying, "We'll be there next year and in future seasons."

The Spanish sports newspaper Marca reports that HRT, the new F1 team based in Murcia, Spain, will announce an agreement Monday that will provide technical support and hardware from the former Toyota F1 team based in Cologne, Germany.

HRT recently announced an agreement with Williams to supply gearboxes.

According to the report, HRT will have access to the TF110 chassis, which was designed and built for this season before Toyota decided during the 2009 campaign to discontinue its participation in F1 at the end of last season.

Inside Line says: A most interesting competitive season wraps up with an equally intriguing "silly season" regarding ownerships, partnerships and alignments. David Green, Correspondent

+Quote Post
misnblu
post Nov 15 2010, 06:31 PM
Post #10

Mr. Blue

Member No.: 5,819
Car: 1986 Porsche 944 V

Subscribed.
Any car changes that should be noted? It seems every year there's some different ruling with aero, engine, or safety changes.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Nov 15 2010, 07:28 PM
Post #11

Double diffusers are banned, F-ducts are banned, Pirelli is the new tire supplier, KERS is back (on a voluntary-to-implement basis), and they will have moveable rear wings to aid overtaking. Moveable front wings, as far as I know, are also gone for 2011. It's a pretty significant rule change...not quite 2009-big, but big.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Nov 16 2010, 12:29 AM
Post #12

Well the HRT/Toyota tie-up died as quickly as it started, it seems: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88313

"Toyota Motorsport GmbH (TMG) confirms that all cooperation with Hispania Racing F1 Team (HRT) has been terminated and will not resume," said the statement.

"TMG retains all intellectual property rights to its current F1 car and is completely free to pursue other projects and support new customers for its high-performance engineering services.

"TMG regrets that HRT has not met its contractual payment obligations and will pursue all available options to reach a satisfactory conclusion to this matter."

+Quote Post
moe
post Nov 16 2010, 04:02 AM
Post #13

Posting God

Hulkenberg to Force India?

+Quote Post
tune
post Nov 18 2010, 05:25 AM
Post #14

Lighting Consultant

Are blown diffusers banned also?

+Quote Post
Razor
post Nov 18 2010, 07:37 AM
Post #15

IT SLIDES!

Member No.: 3,670
Car: Volkswagen R32 Mk V

I hear engines and steering wheels are banned this year.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Nov 18 2010, 12:58 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(tune @ Nov 18 2010, 05:25 AM) *
Are blown diffusers banned also?

No, blown diffusers are still in. Expect them to show up across the grid.

+Quote Post
moe
post Nov 18 2010, 03:05 PM
Post #17

Posting God

Petrov set to sign a new deal with Renault.

+Quote Post
tune
post Nov 19 2010, 08:24 AM
Post #18

Lighting Consultant

Seems like the Pirelli test went quite well.

Massa quickest and Maldonado just over 5 seconds off his time in the HRT is pretty impressive in my view.

F1Fanatic

+Quote Post
pervert
post Nov 19 2010, 10:47 PM
Post #19

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 865

If a driver like Petrov can get a seat and Heidfeld can't, purely based on money, then there is something very wrong with the whole she-bang.

F1 is turning to shit, it's not about sport or competition or pride any more, just money.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Nov 20 2010, 12:19 AM
Post #20

I think Petrov's earned his place quite well in F1, actually. He's had a few more crashes and mistakes than Renault would like to see, but I don't see it as being unreasonable to expect from a rookie year. He's pulled out some impressive performances. If he keeps making mistakes like that into his second or third years then, yeah, he'll probably get ditched, but if he learns and improves I expect he'll be an entirely competent F1 driver.

As for Heidfeld, he is good but he's always struck me as a little overrated. Maybe I just haven't seen his best performances.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th October 2018 - 07:26 PM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here