> New addition to my garage
speedyK
post Oct 21 2009, 03:13 AM
Post #61

Incurable petrolhead

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,466
Car: Oh yes!

If I had any sense, I would have bought an R32 instead of the Aston. I found one in the great-looking dark blue with the optional Recaros, but my wife said they look too boring...

but back to the Aston:

The interior doesn't seem to find favour with most of you – what about the rear?

My car is stock

But I also looked at one that was specially built for the Geneva 2001 show by Aston's own tuning division, Works Services. It's nicknamed the Jaffa version, because the lights look like huge oranges – also needs a different rear bumper to incorporate the reversin and fog lamps, so not cheap! I think it looks "meaty" and purposeful, but most people seem to find it ugly:

Works Services also offered a different version which kept the original bumper and had the reversiong/fog in the big round lamps - thus cheaper

Opinions?

(Btw, I didn't go for the "Jaffa" one because it had more miles, was in worse condition, had been re-sprayed from the originakl green and cost more!)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
moe
post Oct 21 2009, 04:00 AM
Post #62

Posting God

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,451

The "Jaffa" version isn't bad, but I prefer the stock looks. It's just more purposeful.

+Quote Post
Bjorn
post Oct 21 2009, 06:25 AM
Post #63

Race Driver

Member No.: 4,080
Car: 2009 Subaru Legacy

Ya, Jaffa looks interesting, but you could never be criticized for keeping an Aston stock.

+Quote Post
moe
post Oct 21 2009, 06:47 AM
Post #64

Posting God

Member No.: 1,451

Actually looking back at it with less tired eyes, I can see what you mean. The Jaffa does look more meaty and purposeful, and the stock looks sleeker more elegant. The one thing that irks me about the Jaffa with the different bumper is the mounting of the reverse light. What irks me about the green one is that the tails seem to be flush, whereas on the gray one has slightly bulging tails. The bulge make subtly more muscular.

+Quote Post
infinity
post Oct 21 2009, 02:47 PM
Post #65

ZoomZoom

Member No.: 2,281
Car: 2011 Mazdaspeed 3

I prefer the looks of yours TBH. Not overly impressed with the interior, but the DB7 has always been one of my favorite looking cars of its era.

+Quote Post
Altostratus
post Oct 21 2009, 02:56 PM
Post #66

Im Bitter.

Member No.: 4,878
Car: the great blue yonder

i like the 5 spoke magnesium Dymags

+Quote Post
Marien
post Oct 22 2009, 12:39 AM
Post #67

dot dot dot

Member No.: 1,890
Car: Renault Clio

That rear license plate is really a shame. Aren't there any other models available? Other than that, it's a really nice and clean car!

+Quote Post
speedyK
post Oct 22 2009, 04:18 AM
Post #68

Incurable petrolhead

Trouble is that, under the Swiss system, you can share one licence plate between two numbers for the same driver.

Obviously, as only one can be on the road at any time, you can save a considerable sum of money on road tax and insurance this way. And as the road tax depends on engine size, hp, etc., if you have several cars, it is best to put the two biggest on one plate.

Rear plates come in two formats – long Euro-style and tall US style.

The Aston replaces my 300ZX which can accommodate either shape. Good design by Nissan thumbs_up.gif

But it shares a number with my my Dodge Durango – and that has a 40 cm wide recess for a plate – the euro-style long ones are 50 cm, so simply don't fit in. Bad design by Dodge! nono.gif

At least the tall one can be squeezed onto the Aston and remain illuminated – but still bad design by Aston thumbs_down.gif

Similarly, my Smart can only take the long ones. Bad design! thumbs_down.gif

It has shared a plate with my Exige – which can take either. Good design by Lotus! thumbs_up.gif

Until it's sold, the 300ZX is sharing the plate with the Smart.

My 106GTI can also take either. Good design by Peugeot! thumbs_up.gif

and shares a plate with my Lancia thumbs_up.gif

But the "wrong" plate format should not be a problem for too long, as I don't intend to keep the Aston... and the planned replacement can accept either format. Good design by Nisssan! thumbs_up.gif

+Quote Post
Phix
post Oct 22 2009, 05:07 AM
Post #69

Banned

Member No.: 1,208
Car: N/A

I'm confused... maybe I just forgot. Didn't you sell the Exige FOR the Aston and then you're going to sell the Aston FOR the GT-R?

+Quote Post
speedyK
post Oct 22 2009, 05:47 AM
Post #70

Incurable petrolhead

Yes. Sold/selling both the Exige and the 300ZX.

The Aston is a stop-gap that replaces the 300ZX's rτle as GT, but not the Exige's rτle as "driver's car". And I would never take the Aston on track.

I considered an R32 as a sensible winter car instead of the Aston, but my wife said they're too boring. Might get one yet though – or a 996 turbo instead of the Aston as a more usable stepping stone to the GT-R.

The GT-R will be both a GT and a driver's car (and in all weathers) – and I almost certainly will do one track event to compare reality with the sims. As a car that has received glowing reports from testers around the world, the GT-R is another box that has to be to ticked!

BUT

I love the versatile roof on the Smart and would love to add that feature to my "wanted features" list (2+2 GT, 6+ cyls., 4wd, twin clutch) and am already looking at a possible replacement for the GT-R that I haven't bought yet!* laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Thing is, these things cost far too much new – have to wait a couple of years then make a move. No car is perfect and there will always be new developments, but you need to know what's out there and plan these things thumbs_up.gif

Now what combines the 2+2 seats and 4wd of the GT-R with a great roof?

Purists may look down on it as "compromised", but if I get one of these I suspect it will do a pretty good job in most situations:

Targa 4S with PDK twin clutch

I'm test driving one at my local Porsche Centre soon – it's a manual and I've been up front with them and said I'm NOT interested in this car itself, but in the roof system and general feel (never driven a 997, though 996 GT3 and Turbo don't really do it for me) with a view to getting a used PDK one in a couple of years. They are happy with that, as they can see that I am a potential customer and can then let me know when one comes in.

*There's method in my madness thumbs_up.gif

+Quote Post
Bjorn
post Oct 22 2009, 06:02 AM
Post #71

Race Driver

What ever it is you do to be able to keep a garage this well stocked, do you need an apprentice?

+Quote Post
fiber optic
post Oct 22 2009, 06:18 AM
Post #72

Living the dream

Member No.: 28
Car: Ford F-150, Mercury Grand Marquis, Volkswagen Beetle

QUOTE(Bjorn @ Oct 22 2009, 09:02 AM) *
What ever it is you do to be able to keep a garage this well stocked, do you need an apprentice?

What if he's Primary JizzMopper at the local peep show?

+Quote Post
Bjorn
post Oct 22 2009, 06:23 AM
Post #73

Race Driver

Fuck, I would mop jizz for a 964 C2.

+Quote Post
speedyK
post Oct 22 2009, 06:47 AM
Post #74

Incurable petrolhead

^^^ biggrin.gif

My ex-assistant has a 964 - but his is an RS Ruf turbo

Avoiding the temptation to buy new helps to keep a nicely stocked garage, e.g. with the first year depreciation on a GT-R, you can buy a very nice Smart roadster thumbs_up.gif

I have bought new when the car wasn't to expensive and I really, really wanted it. Last time was with my Speedster – saw it for the first time reported as a prototype in the press in early 1999. Basically a Lotus Elise but with a better engine, ABD and an airbag - and sensible things imposed by GM such as access to the screen was bottle by a hinged, lift-up panel rather than an unscrew, lift off one. Went straight to the main dealer and asked when the order books opened. Finally got the first one in this part of Switzerland over two years later – and they could only deliver the hardtop a year later.

Great little car

After 4.5 years use, I still got 63% of the purchase price back when I wrote it off, so can't complain about depreciation too much there. And prices have stayed at about 50% of new for a couple of years now. The depreciation is done – price depends on condition.

Similarly, I think (hope!) DB7 Vantage prices won't drop now, whereas GT-R's are falling nicely (for me as a prospective purchaser). As for new 911s, drive one out of the showroom and you've already lost the price of a good little fun car like a Fiat 500.

+Quote Post
Bjorn
post Oct 22 2009, 06:53 AM
Post #75

Race Driver

Your assistant drove a Ruf?

I'll be your assistant for a salary allowing me to purchase a base 964, and a ringpass.

+Quote Post
Phix
post Oct 22 2009, 06:54 AM
Post #76

Banned

Member No.: 1,208
Car: N/A

Your /assistant/ could afford a Ruf Turbo?

...wow.

+Quote Post
b0mb3r
post Oct 22 2009, 07:23 AM
Post #77

Member No.: 872
Car: MKV GTI

we are all in the wrong business...

+Quote Post
speedyK
post Oct 22 2009, 09:26 AM
Post #78

Incurable petrolhead

He had a Fiat Punto when he started working for me. But worked hard and got a 964 Targa after a couple of years.

He got the Ruf after he finished working for me.

Has a lot to answer for, as he's the one who got me into tracking cars when i was frustrated about not being able to enjoy them fully on public roads biggrin.gif

Keeps trying to get me to go to the 'Ring – he went on a driving course there for the first time last year and has got the bug.

I'm steadfastly keeping my 'Ring driving virtual – currently with NFS SHIFT.

It's a lot cheaper to press the re-start button and doesn't hurt anything except your pride thumbs_up.gif

No way I'm taking the Aston!

+Quote Post
Dr. Strangelove
post Oct 23 2009, 12:56 PM
Post #79

VTEC yo!

Member No.: 2,309
Car: 2007 Honda S2000

The ring is fine as long as you don't drive at 100% and you know where you are going.

+Quote Post
speedyK
post Oct 27 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #80

Incurable petrolhead

^^^ I know of far too many people who have come back without their cars. And quite a lot of others have themselves never come back sad.gif
I'll keep my 'Ring driving virtual.

Was out in the Aston at the weekend. Talk about torque! Surfing a huge wave of it. Quite un-Lotus-like, but still enjoyable in a different way.

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2019 - 04:12 PM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here