Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Concerns/Questions of going into professional photography
K.Schlotfeldt
post Aug 16 2011, 10:32 AM
Post #1

Dirty Oil Filter

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,569

I am just starting college this fall I plan to get a basic business degree from University of Phoenix, and I am very interested in going into automotive photography, but I have some concerns and questions about making that my main career.

1. I know to have a company one must build a client base first, but in this economy I really have odds of that happening against me....since I am a female and I am so young...no ones going to be interested in some young chick that takes car pictures and expects money for it.

2. This goes along with concern #1 but where and how would I go about building a good solid client base?

3. I would like to start up some sort of website for people to look at my photos, but I want it to look as professional and stylish as possible, some of the pro photographers on this forum have AWESOME looking ones, how or where do I learn how to do stuff like that???

4. Does anyone know of photography businesses in the Phoenix area?

5. After college I dont know whether to go into a business (ie ProEx or Lifetouch) to get my foot in the door or if I should just focus on a career that will get me more money so that some day I can have my own photography business and not fall on my ass as money wise.

I appreciate any answers or supportive advise anyone can give me, I've been pretty stressed out about my future and would like to have some sort of plan.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Razor
post Aug 16 2011, 11:12 AM
Post #2

IT SLIDES!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3,670
Car: Volkswagen R32 Mk V

lol, good questions... but wrong forum. Let me get that for ya'.

+Quote Post
Jacob Photo
post Aug 16 2011, 01:11 PM
Post #3

Pit Mechanic

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,999

1 - There's no reason you can't start shooting now. Go shoot grassroots events / track days / friends cars, and/or assist photographers in your area who are shooting the types of photography you are most interested in. Get a good portfolio going, then move up to shoot bigger and bigger events / cars. Pretty soon, you'll be rubbing elbows around the clients you want to be shooting for long term.

2 - start with a great portfolio, and talk to anyone / everyone at a race. Clients hire just as much based on relationship as they do based on skillset.

3 - if you don't have great skills with website design or programming, I suggest hiring someone to build your site.

4 - check your local yellow pages or use google, there's HUNDREDS of them

5 - spend a day or two at a handful of photographers you find in step 4 above and talk with them, see what they suggest. My guess is that most of them will tell you that working at a mall photography business is a waste of time, but some might be able to point you in the right direction. Again, this is less about what you know and more about who you know.

PS - I think you'll find that most photographers these days will tell you that making a living doing what you want is fun, but not a way to get rich. Personally, I make a good 2nd income shooting freelance on the weekends, but my main income is made in a cubicle 9-5 m-f, and have no desire to become a full-time photographer.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2018 - 04:50 PM