> So WTF does everyone do for a job?
Bjorn
post Jun 10 2012, 08:16 AM
Post #1

Race Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,080
Car: 2009 Subaru Legacy

Like the "been up to" question, only more focused on your job.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OHirtenfelder
post Jun 10 2012, 10:13 AM
Post #2

That guy that you know does what!

Member No.: 4,226
Car: 1971 BMW 2002, 2008 Audi A3 Sportback

Same as I've been doing for a while now. I work as an 'in-house' photographer for a local (South African) motoring magazine called Accelerate, and I also freelance as a photographer. Most of the freelance work is as an automotive photographer, but some other stuff as well.

A pretty kick ass gig all round. I'm always driving the latest (and sometimes greatest) cars and having fun shooting them. Somewhat of a dream job, pity the pay is not as good as it should be.

What do you do Bjorn?

+Quote Post
Bjorn
post Jun 10 2012, 12:15 PM
Post #3

Race Driver

Member No.: 4,080
Car: 2009 Subaru Legacy

I'm a producer with CBC Radio.

I find interesting people for our Current Affairs hosts to interview and then I set everything up. Only been at it for a month now, but it's great work. Much better pay than working for newspapers (what I was doing before).

I would love to work for a car magazine though. That was the reason I got into journalism five years ago. Unfortunately to do that, as a Canadian, you pretty much have to live in Toronto (and even then there are very few Canadian car magazines). I have considered a few times moving to NYC or California...but I think the path to being an Automotive journalist might be closed to me now. I can't leave a good paying job I like to chase a dream like that...not with a wife and kids.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Jun 10 2012, 12:18 PM
Post #4

Talkin' the talk since 2003

Group: Admin
Member No.: 27
Car: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T

I calibrate scientific instruments for physical oceanography for this company: http://www.seabird.com/

Started out doing pressure calibrations for a few months, now I do temperature and conductivity for everything they make except ALACE sensors. Lots of looking at data, troubleshooting lab equipment and sensor problems based on what I see...part of the workflow of a manufacturing environment. Not quite what I went to school for, but some environmental chemistry and physical science mixed in makes it reasonably adjacent to my two Civil and Environmental Engineering degrees. It's also a reasonably chill work environment with a good commute, hours I like, and a fair deal of opportunity for advancement. Pretty happy with it overall smile.gif (wish I was paid more)

And to tie myself in with something of interest, here's a picture of a custom sensor our company built for James Cameron's trip to the bottom of the Marianas Trench. I did the initial pressure calibration on it before it got sent out and did the temperature/conductivity post calibration on it when it came back. Thought it was kinda neat smile.gif

+Quote Post
b0mb3r
post Jun 10 2012, 02:02 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 872
Car: MKV GTI

I am a SharePoint/Database architect at Wawa (local convenience store in North-East US). I like the work that I am doing, since I am moving further away from "turning nuts and bolts" of systems to designing them. The hours are decent with occasional weekend stint, and work environment is great. My commute could be a bit better and I am working on getting paid more part Raspberry.gif I don't really see myself doing a drastic career change anytime soon unless Microsoft goes out of business.

+Quote Post
fiber optic
post Jun 10 2012, 02:43 PM
Post #6

Living the dream

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 28
Car: Ford F-150, Mercury Grand Marquis, Volkswagen Beetle

I own a microfabrication lab. I didn't spend any of my own money on it but if you ask my boss who owns any of the machines he'll tell you my name. It's mostly a bunch of maintenance on said machines which is the part that sucks the most. Sometimes I get to solve problems, both my own and others', as it relates to making nano and micro devices.

Here's a video of a Rube Goldberg influenced valve that pissed me off for the better part of a month. The video is crap quality. The brown/brass colored bit is a flexible bellows. First it had a crack in it and other than being a pain to replace that was about it. Then the shaft that runs through the inside of the bellows had separated from one end of the mount. THAT was impossible to diagnose. Oh, that's all in a vacuum chamber and the separated bit was letting atmosphere inside. Took it home and TIG welded it but it wasn't fantastic work. Failed after a couple of weeks. Bought a new one and good to go. Extortion prices on it.

In the past I got to make stuff. This is another crappy video, skip to 37 seconds. What you see fluttering on the right is a pumping mechanism. It is moving green and red fluid from the vertical supply lines on the left side. Red is on the top, green is on the bottom. The horizontal lines are valves that control which color fluid gets to flow. I stop the green when it runs dry and you can see air bubble passing through then it switches to the red. Everything is controlled with air pressure connected to solenoid valves fed from an I/O board on a computer. That way I could write a program that ran the pump in the correct order and opened the fluid valves. It's 2 separate layers of a silicone material. The bottom layer had the fluid channels and the top one ran the air. I forget exactly how big everything was but I want to say the channel width was around 300 microns (0.3mm or 0.011 inches). That's pretty big for a micro device and it was easy to make.

Sorry for the length, sometimes I like what I do.

+Quote Post
Mr b00st
post Jun 10 2012, 03:26 PM
Post #7

That Frigging BMW Driver

Member No.: 222
Car: 1997 BMW 328i

wow, mine are way more boring

My full time job is selling cars.

I still produce content for Car Throttle but not at the same rate I used to.

+Quote Post
Razor
post Jun 10 2012, 03:34 PM
Post #8

IT SLIDES!

Member No.: 3,670
Car: Volkswagen R32 Mk V

I'm a rising senior in college but working three jobs this summer, all in software engineer (one remote, two part-time in-office). I am starting to aim my focus in this field to even more specific areas and have begun talks to work for some big-name startups that I love after graduation. I hope one of them works out!

+Quote Post
HKYStormFront
post Jun 10 2012, 04:26 PM
Post #9

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 6,812
Car: 06 Frontier SE

PLC/Electrical Engineer

+Quote Post
fiber optic
post Jun 10 2012, 05:18 PM
Post #10

Living the dream

Member No.: 28
Car: Ford F-150, Mercury Grand Marquis, Volkswagen Beetle

QUOTE(HKYStormFront @ Jun 10 2012, 07:26 PM) *
PLC/Electrical Engineer

Tell me more.

+Quote Post
HKYStormFront
post Jun 10 2012, 06:08 PM
Post #11

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 6,812
Car: 06 Frontier SE

i work for a company called tenneco, we're an OEM supplier for many car manufacturers in the US making shocks and struts. specifically monroe and rancho. our company makes lots of other things too though, like exhaust systems for example. i work with the automated equipment that handles some of the processes we do in building shocks like welding and assembly.

+Quote Post
Brohim
post Jun 10 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #12

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 1,013
Car: 2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Finance Analyst at this place.

Booz Allen Hamilton

+Quote Post
dukenukem
post Jun 10 2012, 10:25 PM
Post #13

**Snuggles**

Member No.: 166
Car: 2006 Subaru WRX STI

Working in telecom industry as a support engineer/ escalation manager

+Quote Post
350Z
post Jun 11 2012, 06:15 AM
Post #14

Efini

Member No.: 1,083
Car: 2005 Seat Leon Cupra R

Continuing airworthiness management for a private company.

+Quote Post
Blue Devil
post Jun 11 2012, 07:57 AM
Post #15

Anda a freir monos en la sarten de palos.

Member No.: 3,612
Car: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM

For Miami-Dade County... one of the biggest "county" entities and sometimes even bigger than a lot of US states in regards to a lot of things.

I am a Web Designer. I get to play with Photoshop, do a bit of coding, deal with a crappy content management system, surf the web most of the day, pay is good (actually can't complain about that), flexibility, and awesome work environment.

Thats my day job...

Oh, forgot to add that I get to work with a lot of high up Local Government entities, design websites that get visited by millions of people...

Miami International Airport is one of them

Miami Art Museum

right now I am working on the Port of Miami website

I also do quite a bit of photography for the county when they need advertising style photography.

+Quote Post
Diesel
post Jun 11 2012, 08:32 AM
Post #16

I'm bored.

Member No.: 1
Car: 2006 Acura TSX

Product Manager and Graphic Designer for I/OMagic. I help design the products, make the packaging/brochures/manuals and everything that goes in the box, and do web design on the side.

+Quote Post
Razor
post Jun 11 2012, 09:01 AM
Post #17

IT SLIDES!

Member No.: 3,670
Car: Volkswagen R32 Mk V

QUOTE(Diesel @ Jun 11 2012, 12:32 PM) *
Product Manager and Graphic Designer for I/OMagic. I help design the products, make the packaging/brochures/manuals and everything that goes in the box, and do web design on the side.

You are one of the people that control how good an unboxing experience your product has? Video unboxing example of something your company makes?

+Quote Post
Diesel
post Jun 11 2012, 09:19 AM
Post #18

I'm bored.

Member No.: 1
Car: 2006 Acura TSX

well.. problem is.. our company doesn't have the money to put into the packaging. I can only do so much and yet keep the costs down. so our unboxing experience is very very basic.

+Quote Post
DaGonz
post Jun 11 2012, 04:55 PM
Post #19

Dieselstation Fire Rescue

Member No.: 149
Car: 2006 Mustang GT, 2007 Ford Edge, 2009 Ford F150 XLT 4x4

Deputy Fire Chief, in charge of one of four groups of firefighters in my city's FD.

In my duties, I am the shift commander, incident commnder at working fires and multiple alarm fires and such and do plans review and inspections of new fire alarm, sprinkler, clean agent and kitchen fire supression systems. I am aso in charge of communications equipment and I am also the FD's Public Information Officer. I get to work with the news media, doing interviews, press releases, etc.

I also work three per diem jobs. Job 1 is in the support services division at the Massachusetts Fire Academy. Support personnel set up and lgnite the fires in the burn building, run the props for specialized training, drive the fire trucks on and off Academy grounds, etc.

Job 2 is working as an Emergency Medical Technician for Community EMS.

Job 3 is for the Massachusetts Department of Personnel Administration/Human Resources Division as a monitor and EMT for the Entry Level Physcal Agility Testing program.

When I am not at my full time career and my per diem postitons, I have a seasonal automotive detailing venture.

+Quote Post
John Potts
post Jun 11 2012, 06:20 PM
Post #20

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 4,004
Car: 2005 Nissan Altima SER

I order parts and control inventory at a kenworth dealership, its kinda boring as hell but I enjoy it

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2019 - 02:38 AM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here