> Ken Block Gymkhana 5, Big Fat F*cking Meh
OHirtenfelder
post Jul 9 2012, 06:23 AM
Post #1

That guy that you know does what!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,226
Car: 1971 BMW 2002, 2008 Audi A3 Sportback

Not sure if it's just me, but I really do not give a shit about this video. Sure, he knows how to throw around a car, but other than that....whatever.

What do you guys reckon?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fiber optic
post Jul 9 2012, 09:19 AM
Post #2

Living the dream

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 28
Car: Ford F-150, Mercury Grand Marquis, Volkswagen Beetle

We share more or less the same opinion.

EDIT: His skills are confined to a closed course with multiple film takes required.

+Quote Post
Razor
post Jul 9 2012, 09:47 AM
Post #3

IT SLIDES!

Member No.: 3,670
Car: Volkswagen R32 Mk V

And he wears flat-billed bro hats. I respect his driving ability but I despise what he's brought to rally in terms of culture.

+Quote Post
Jacob Photo
post Jul 9 2012, 10:43 AM
Post #4

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 4,999

He's doing what every car enthusiast wishes they could do - burning tons of money and tires traveling around the world and thrashing high horsepower cars. Props to him for figuring it out!

It's awesome that they ventured to real city streets. I don't know how cohesive the 'storyline' is, but it's still pretty badass.

the 270 degree 'turn' at 2:10 was pretty dope. Not what I expected, and pretty well executed!

+Quote Post
OHirtenfelder
post Jul 9 2012, 10:51 PM
Post #5

That guy that you know does what!

Member No.: 4,226
Car: 1971 BMW 2002, 2008 Audi A3 Sportback

QUOTE(Jacob Photo @ Jul 9 2012, 08:43 PM) *
He's doing what every car enthusiast wishes they could do - burning tons of money and tires traveling around the world and thrashing high horsepower cars. Props to him for figuring it out!

It's awesome that they ventured to real city streets. I don't know how cohesive the 'storyline' is, but it's still pretty badass.

the 270 degree 'turn' at 2:10 was pretty dope. Not what I expected, and pretty well executed!

I agree with you wholeheartedly, he is 'living the dream' in a sense, and there is no way in hell I would say no to doing that, and being paid ridiculous amounts of money for it. My grip is just that this whole 'holy shit, wowwy, look how bad ass and crazy my driving is' thing is getting a little stayed. Sure, he's got some skill, but it's confined to this closed circuit driving, which to be totally honest I think any rally driver would be capable of doing with a bit of practice. Out there on the rally circuits, he really doesn't do much (as far as I know).

And yes, the extravagance of this whole spectacle is mad, but come on, it's always the same thing. And that's why I'm bored and unimpressed by it.

Also what Razor said...'flat-billed bro hats' (I love that term)....fuck off. Plus he has made every idiot in his Opel Corsa 1300 stick a big green M on it and drive it like a douche. No. Just no.

+Quote Post
John Potts
post Jul 10 2012, 03:41 AM
Post #6

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 4,004
Car: 2005 Nissan Altima SER

I like it better than the last one he had, the hollywood themed one. That one seemed like he was saying "Hey check out my skills and how much money I can blow on dumb shit"

+Quote Post
Jacob Photo
post Jul 10 2012, 09:44 AM
Post #7

Pit Mechanic

QUOTE(John Potts @ Jul 10 2012, 04:41 AM) *
I like it better than the last one he had, the hollywood themed one. That one seemed like he was saying "Hey check out my skills and how much money I can blow on dumb shit"

I'm pretty sure this one cost a lot more to film, ironically. Shutting down the entire bay bridge to traffic ain't cheap! Plus, he shut down some MAJOR streets in San Fran.

+Quote Post
moe
post Jul 11 2012, 01:19 PM
Post #8

Posting God

Member No.: 1,451
Car: '13 Toyota 86

It's the first one I've truly enjoyed since the original.

+Quote Post
John Potts
post Jul 11 2012, 06:16 PM
Post #9

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 4,004
Car: 2005 Nissan Altima SER

QUOTE(Jacob Photo @ Jul 10 2012, 12:44 PM) *
I'm pretty sure this one cost a lot more to film, ironically. Shutting down the entire bay bridge to traffic ain't cheap! Plus, he shut down some MAJOR streets in San Fran.

it probably did but it didnt have the same commercial feel as the 4th video, the 4th and 3rd one i thought went way over board with the special effects

+Quote Post
Synesthesia
post Jul 13 2012, 05:28 PM
Post #10

Race Driver

Member No.: 2,585

QUOTE(moe @ Jul 11 2012, 05:19 PM) *
It's the first one I've truly enjoyed since the original.

Agreed with this! But I hear the sentiment, his personality is not my favorite. His performance in WRC is funny because it tarnishes his reputation of being AWESOME. I can't see him sticking with it, this Gymkhana is the sort of stuff he's really good at but the multiple takes (can't stand how you can see tire marks before he goes into a corner) and the silly antics just makes it feel superficial.

+Quote Post
Jacob Photo
post Jul 15 2012, 04:11 PM
Post #11

Pit Mechanic

QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Jul 13 2012, 06:28 PM) *
Agreed with this! But I hear the sentiment, his personality is not my favorite. His performance in WRC is funny because it tarnishes his reputation of being AWESOME. I can't see him sticking with it, this Gymkhana is the sort of stuff he's really good at but the multiple takes (can't stand how you can see tire marks before he goes into a corner) and the silly antics just makes it feel superficial.

Did you read Bill Caswell's editorial on Ken Block on Jalopnik? I think it helps put things into perspective
http://jalopnik.com/5921831/what-ken-block...-have-in-common

+Quote Post
Synesthesia
post Jul 17 2012, 02:18 PM
Post #12

Race Driver

Member No.: 2,585

^Nice article, it's a good point and I got really excited when I heard an American was going to compete in the World Rally. I guess I really just wish the guy was more likable wink.gif

+Quote Post
skr
post Jul 17 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #13

Who's that skr guy?!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,036
Car: 2003 Subaru Legacy

It's all marketing at this point(and since GYM2 went viral). The Gymkhana thing is a successful marketing strategy for both him, his company, his sponsors, and his team. You couldn't get the city of SF to close their streets just to make hooning videos if you didn't have giants like Ford and Monster backing him. While we can sit there and nitpick on the technicalities of the videos(retakes on each corner), he's done it this way since the first Gymkhana vid, and it's worked phenomenally every time with the vision and goals they had in mind. Sure, it sucks that the flatbilled demographic is now associated with rally because of his marketing, but rally is still so grassroots in the states that any exposure and growth to it is a positive thing.

From what I hear though, KB is a super humble guy at a personal and a professional level.. He's just hated on because he's proof that it sometimes doesn't take race wins to be a marketing goldmine.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2018 - 04:30 AM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here