Total Votes: 22
Guests cannot vote 
Renesis
post Mar 19 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #1

Got Rotary?

Group: Members
Member No.: 893

Here are the choices, these are some I'm considering for my first car, maybe..

just wanna have your opinions for fun!

just explain your choices and tell why it would be your pick! canadian.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Halflifehavock13
post Mar 19 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #2

Marginal Contributions

Member No.: 1,555

CVT does not equal fun.

So I'll take the rabbit.

+Quote Post
VVTL-i GT-S
post Mar 19 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #3

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 3,740
Car: toyota cars

Rabbit...

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Mar 19 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #4

Talkin' the talk since 2003

Group: Admin
Member No.: 27
Car: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T

Wow, uh, none of the above. The SE-R's only worthwhile with the Spec V package, the Pontiac G5 is a waste of time (if you want that chassis, Cobalt SS is the only way to go), and the MkV Golf (cough, rabbit, sorry) is really too big and isolated to be much fun, and the 2.5, while competent, isn't a great performance motor.

In this sorta range, I'd definitely be looking at the Mazda 3 2.3, the Hyundai Tiburon GT V6, and the SE-R Spec V.

+Quote Post
slip
post Mar 19 2007, 04:59 PM
Post #5

gin & tonic

Member No.: 3,638
Car: 2002 Jaguar X-Type

renesis....

why not buy a used 2004 RX-8 for the same cheddar (or less), and then your name will actually make sense

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Mar 19 2007, 05:09 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(slip @ Mar 19 2007, 05:59 PM) *
renesis....

why not buy a used 2004 RX-8 for the same cheddar (or less), and then your name will actually make sense

Because 13 MPG and a vacuum cleaner exhaust note aren't very appealing tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Renesis
post Mar 19 2007, 05:13 PM
Post #7

Got Rotary?

QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 19 2007, 08:49 PM) *
Wow, uh, none of the above. The SE-R's only worthwhile with the Spec V package, the Pontiac G5 is a waste of time (if you want that chassis, Cobalt SS is the only way to go), and the MkV Golf (cough, rabbit, sorry) is really too big and isolated to be much fun, and the 2.5, while competent, isn't a great performance motor.

In this sorta range, I'd definitely be looking at the Mazda 3 2.3, the Hyundai Tiburon GT V6, and the SE-R Spec V.

All out of my price range.

Plus the G5 GT is the same thing as a Cobalt SS (not supercharged)

And also insurance rapes me even if I work in that domain so let's not go crazy..

I'm on a budget and don't want something that requires premium either!

QUOTE(slip @ Mar 19 2007, 08:59 PM) *
renesis....

I'm not ready for that, need something reliable and good on gas, I'll use it to go to university which is quite a long ride.

QUOTE(Halflifehavock13 @ Mar 19 2007, 08:32 PM) *
CVT does not equal fun.

So I'll take the rabbit.

I know, but atleast it has fixed ratios and paddle shifters, I've still got to try it out though, the salesman said they're still 2 months away...

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Mar 19 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #8

I don't see how the CVT SE-R can be in your price range while the others I reccomended can't be...especially when you consider that, as a new model, the SE-R isn't gonna have any price breaks on it while the Hyundai and the Mazda will be available for under sticker, no prob.

And btw, when I said the Cobalt SS was the only one worth having, I meant the S/C version. The N/A SS isn't as well sorted in the suspension department and, of course, lacks the grunt.

+Quote Post
Renesis
post Mar 19 2007, 07:08 PM
Post #9

Got Rotary?

I know that's what you meant for the cobalt, that's why I specified again that it wasn't the S/C one.

As for the SE-R well it's pricier than others by about $1.5k which is the price of an automatic tranny so assuming that I'm comparing it with other automatics, it becomes the same price. (don't forget that it's CVT only so it's not an option, nor a choice..)

The hyundai sucks unless it's the V6, and then both insurance premiums and gas consumption are through the roof, not to mention the price tag (in US hyundais are much cheaper vs other cars than here in Canada!)

As for the Mazda 3, the GS one (er.. that's the i for you I think, well the uplevel 2.0 one) fits in my budget but it's not as nice as the 2.3 one and I'm sick of seeing these, everyone has one!

So really in terms of new cars for that kind of money there's not much fun to be had..

so let's just say a good car that's not too boring.. that's what I'm looking for.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Rabbit but there seems to be availability problems and the engine is getting a 20hp bump next year so it'd be frustrating to buy one now, but I need it in like, 2 months time! The SE-R seemed like a good package, but I'd have to check out that CVT thing, not so sure about it..

+Quote Post
krazykohla
post Mar 19 2007, 07:20 PM
Post #10

Ms. Car Lady

Member No.: 3,646
Car: 2007 Civic Si

You guys already know what I'm going to say...

Honda Civic Coupe FTW!! It's not too pricey and mi madre has one and it's not half bad for the low price tag...

If you haven't noticed, I'm not a fan of any of the above multiple choice cars, so someone choose an option for me!

+Quote Post
Renesis
post Mar 19 2007, 07:33 PM
Post #11

Got Rotary?

I absolutely hate the new Civic, I could forgive it if it had a screaming engine like the Si but the base Civic has the least powerful and least torquey engine by far in the class (or atleast in the list I made up which originally had many more cars)

+Quote Post
VVTL-i GT-S
post Mar 19 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #12

Grease Monkey

QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 19 2007, 08:49 PM) *
the Hyundai Tiburon GT V6...

It's big, heavy, and slow...plus, a new generation of Tibby is coming anyway...

+Quote Post
dukenukem
post Mar 19 2007, 09:38 PM
Post #13

**Snuggles**

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 166
Car: 2006 Subaru WRX STI

how much would a used WRX or a RS be? Or are you certain on getting something brand new?

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Mar 19 2007, 09:46 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(VVTL-i GT-S @ Mar 19 2007, 09:07 PM) *
It's big, heavy, and slow...plus, a new generation of Tibby is coming anyway...

The current Tib isn't the lightest or fastest car in its segment, but it is a genuinely nice car to drive, is very well put together, and very affordable for what you get. And the next gen tib is the better part of a year away and is going to be significantly more expensive than the outgoing model.

+Quote Post
Phix
post Mar 19 2007, 10:27 PM
Post #15

Banned

Member No.: 1,208
Car: N/A

QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 20 2007, 01:46 AM) *
The current Tib isn't the lightest or fastest car in its segment, but it is a genuinely nice car to drive, is very well put together, and very affordable for what you get. And the next gen tib is the better part of a year away and is going to be significantly more expensive than the outgoing model.

And RWD. Hopefully.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Mar 19 2007, 10:41 PM
Post #16

should be, yes.

+Quote Post
moe
post Mar 19 2007, 10:50 PM
Post #17

Posting God

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,451
Car: '13 Toyota 86

Get a Mazda 3...seriously, doesn't matter what engine, or what body style (avoid the auto though). But if you must have one of the above, the Rabbit is a far superior choice to the others.

+Quote Post
Mr b00st
post Mar 20 2007, 12:29 AM
Post #18

That Frigging BMW Driver

Member No.: 222
Car: 1997 BMW 328i

of those, the rabbit is the only one that won't be a torture box, and all though none of them will set your pants on fire stock (my jetta 2.5 isn't stock and it still doesn't set my pants on fire, but i had basically the same requirements you had so i understand your choices) the Rabbit would, i think, be more fun and more useful than the others.

the new Sentra is also completely gawdawful ugly.

Tiburon is a tempting choice, you could strike a good deal on one and the 2007 restyling makes it quite an attractive vehicle. i drove one back in 2005 (V6 6MT) and it just isn't that quick, but it's not slow. My main problem is this: a Mitsu eclipse GT has almost 100 more bhp, 1.1L more displacement, is considerably faster, and gets BETTER gas mileage. I don't understand why the fuel consumption on the Tibby GT is so poor. But you could also factor in the high pimp factor, the 100k warranty, how reliable they are...

have you considered a second-hand or CPO Acura RSX? the base model is quite fun to drive (very light on it's feet, perfect interior design) and very useful (liftback, foldable rear seats... you could probably fit almost as much in there as a Rabbit)

I agree with previous posters that the new civic is just not an attractive car, but you know it'd be a pleasure to own and operate... cheap, nimble, good on gas, probably will never break.

But again, of those three, i recommend the Rabbit. Lots of standard equipment for the class, good warranty, solid build quality, very safe, shockingly cheap to insure. And those with complaints about the 2.5 haven't driven one; it's not a hot rod but it's not a slow car with a 5-speed. Lots more low end torque than anything else in the class. Fuel mileage is less than great though... best i've gotten is 31mpg highway.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Mar 20 2007, 12:45 AM
Post #19

The Mitsu Eclipse may have nearly 100 more HP than the tib, but it costs more, weighs more, and at the end of the day doesn't feel much faster. The Tiburon also has a nicer interior, better ride/handling, and is just more enjoyable. I consider its poor fuel economy its only demerit, really. I would highly reccomend the current V6 Tiburon GT to anyone in that sort of market (supposing you're not super tall or demand a commodious rear seat)

That said, I WOULD reccomend the 4 cylinder Eclipse. I drove a 5-speed 2.4 liter Eclipse and found it very enjoyable, far more pleasurable than the V6. The 2.4 is punchy, the ride/handling compromise is very nice, and it's all a rather tidy package. In the U.S. it's a bit pricey for what you get but I dunno what it's like in Canada, and Mitsu has a warranty just about on par with Hyundai's.

+Quote Post
VVTL-i GT-S
post Mar 20 2007, 05:35 AM
Post #20

Grease Monkey

I know a few people have owns a Tiburon...let's just say that warranty does come in handy frequently...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2018 - 01:39 AM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here