Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Motorsports Video w/5D Mark II or Professional Camcorder?, Trying to figure out which to buy—Opinions please or first hand use
5FingerDeathPunc...
post Jun 2 2010, 11:26 AM
Post #1

Shift Noob

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,032

I'm in the market for a more "professional" video setup than what I have now. I regularly use a Canon Vixia HF10 with some GoPros mounted on/in car to splice different angles. I've had to get the HF10 fixed by Canon a few times due to dust and water so based on ruggedness it sucks. GoPros are pretty much useless for sound unless inside vehicle, sometimes they are alright, but usually I dub in sound from a lavalier placed near the exhaust for sound.

I'd like to know if anyone has had experience using a Canon 5D Mark II in motorsport applications and if so have they used shotgun mics (Rode, Sennheiser, etc.) attached to the hot shoe? If so which brand produces the best results for exterior sound?

I'd also like to know from anyone whose had experience using one or the other or both, whether a professional camcorder from Canon, Sony, etc. still trumps the 5D Mark II in terms of quality, ease of use (panning, focusing, etc.). The one thing about the 5D Mark II that I really love is the portability and the options I have to use it as a DSLR if I am so inclined.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jacob Photo
post Jun 2 2010, 12:01 PM
Post #2

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 4,999

I'd shoot an email over to Will Roegge if I was you - will@willroegge.com . He does a lot of motorsports stuff here in the US, and I know he uses both a 7D and a "regular" video camera (i think Panasonic?). He's done work for Scion, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, BF Goodrich, and others. He did the Rhys Millen "climb attack" video last year at Pikes Peak which I still think is one of the best motorsport-style videos to date.

From what I've heard, any DSLR you buy will need around $1500 - $2k in accessories to make it a "good" video rig. As long as you know that going in, you can get some incredible shots with the cameras

+Quote Post
Martin
post Jun 2 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #3

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 4,310
Car: VW Golf 2.0 TDi, Volvo 480 Turbo

Don't have any bigger experience in this, but I own a 5D and have filmed some with it. This is my conclusion..

Its a battle between image quality and ease of use.
5D has a great optical advance on much more expensive camcorders, but it suits best for nonaction stuff since there's no AF and it needs a tripod. I've tried some panning and so on with 200 mm on the 5D, but it needs a steadier and quicker focusing hand than I got. I know there's some different alternatives for SLR steadycam setups, but I think they are overpriced.
When it comes to ease of use the camcorder is superior, its the right tool from the beginning but its hard to get the same lovely DOF and so on. When I film with the 5D I often get pissed on it by one thing or another that seems backwards, its easier to take stillshots with it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
5FingerDeathPunc...
post Jun 2 2010, 01:41 PM
Post #4

Shift Noob

I'm torn with the fact that I've seen some amazing video produced by the 5D II—it's more portable than a professional camcorder IMO and it can be used secondary to take photos.

Thanks though for the comments. I think I just need to do some more research to narrow it down.

+Quote Post
Travis Geny
post Jun 2 2010, 03:08 PM
Post #5

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 4,692
Car: 1991 Civic Si

I shoot both video and photos with a 7D and I have to say that once you get the hang of it, it is really very good. HOWEVER, you will want to get a video tripod with a fluid-head. Your standard tripod, ball head deal won't cut it. I am not sure if the 5D has this problem, but sound can be an issue with the 7D at least as Canon installed the lame ass Auto Gain Control (AGC) and basically makes running multiple external mics impossible unless you have standalone sound recording. I am going to try a Rode shotgun mic to see how that works.

However, if you already have a great selection of lenses, and need a camera that can do everything... man it is hard to beat, plus not having to lug twice the amount of gear around? I am very happy with my purchase.

+Quote Post
John Potts
post Jun 3 2010, 04:06 AM
Post #6

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 4,004
Car: 2005 Nissan Altima SER

I could be wrong but, dont the nikon dslr's that shoot hd video have autofocus?

+Quote Post
Blue Devil
post Jun 3 2010, 04:57 AM
Post #7

Anda a freir monos en la sarten de palos.

Member No.: 3,612
Car: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM

the shoot the final of HOUSE with a bunch of 5d MKii... if it is good for them.. it most be good enough for us...

+Quote Post
CarCreative
post Jun 3 2010, 05:06 AM
Post #8

Shift Noob

Member No.: 4,827

i'd echo what someone else has said about it not really being suitable for action - it's REALLY hard. it gets a bit easier if you stop down but the whole draw of dslr video is the filmic dof you get. bottom line is that you'll need support, rails and a follow focus. if you want to guerilla it you could maybe go monopod and/or a manfrotto magic arm - which can be set into decent shoulder rig set ups.

the cam has been used in a lot of broadcast work, but with that come broadcast budget.

+Quote Post
Jacob Photo
post Jun 3 2010, 09:17 AM
Post #9

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 4,999

QUOTE(Blue Devil @ Jun 3 2010, 05:57 AM) *
the shoot the final of HOUSE with a bunch of 5d MKii... if it is good for them.. it most be good enough for us...

QUOTE(CarCreative @ Jun 3 2010, 06:06 AM) *
the cam has been used in a lot of broadcast work, but with that come broadcast budget.

EXACTLY.

Broadcast work = lots of "takes", lots of time to setup each shoot, etc.

Motorsports = 1 or 2 chances to get it right, little to no setup time or support staff, etc. You're pretty much comparing 2 opposite ends of the spectrum.

I'd say live motorsports is probably the last thing you'd want a DSLR over a standard video camera because of the autofocus situation, and the minimal opportunities to get it right. But again, I'm not a video guy...

+Quote Post
mopho
post Jun 3 2010, 10:25 AM
Post #10

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 2,985
Car: Caterham 7/ Lotus Elan

Shot with 5d.

http://stereoscreen.de/24h/

It can be done, you just need to think it out and work around the limitations. With DSLR filming, you're mostly setting up still shots with the subject moving and then editing together to make a story, especially when you don't have the big budget support and crew

+Quote Post
Mr.D
post Jun 3 2010, 01:29 PM
Post #11

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 4,001

QUOTE(Blue Devil @ Jun 3 2010, 02:57 PM) *

Well the camera itself is fine, but Im sure they also have special rigs and focus tools.
Unless they make a new one with autofocus, I would recommend a camcorder.
Current DSLR are for filmmakers...

+Quote Post
5FingerDeathPunc...
post Jun 4 2010, 05:27 AM
Post #12

Shift Noob

Thank you all for the help. After hearing what you had to say my mind is somewhat made up to get a professional camcorder instead of a 5D to get the results that I'm looking for since I don't believe me skills are at the level yet to fully utilize a DSLR FOR filming purposes.

+Quote Post
Dragos
post Jun 4 2010, 07:33 AM
Post #13

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 3,794
Car: GOLF V GT Sport 4motion

the accessories in the pictures above are as much as the camera itself but still they are much less expensive like a red one full gear. If they will introduce raw video with the upcoming cameras the guys from red will have the biggest competitor ever with a very decent price. i have heard of some rumors about raw video but they still have some problems with computing power and the big sensor.

+Quote Post
MartijnGizmo
post Jun 7 2010, 09:32 AM
Post #14

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 3,048

I shoot both photo and video with my 7D, and I've got a fair share of accessories to make it better suited for video (LCD, lights, followfocus, external soundrecorder, etc). I've shot a bunch of interviews and fitness-stuff that I can't show unfortunately and some car features. Shooting moving cars a t f/16 of f/18 with a wider angle doesn't make focusing necessary, but you won't get a nice DOF. But that's not always necessary in moving shots.

Here's my first try at a trackday. The 2nd part is long/slow, but as usual, everyone wants to see themselves on track... biggrin.gif

http://vimeo.com/11400395

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st December 2020 - 01:41 PM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here