Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> IDEA: Dieselstation Forza 3 Endurance Racing Tournament, I'm Sure This Will Be A Hate It Or Love It Idea
This whole idea...
...good or bad?
I'd do it and it's good the way it is. [ 1 ] ** [12.50%]
I'd do it but it needs work. [ 1 ] ** [12.50%]
I'd have to see how it works out. [ 2 ] ** [25.00%]
I'm not doing it unless it's changed. [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
I wouldn't do this. [ 4 ] ** [50.00%]
Total Votes: 8
Guests cannot vote 
Razor
post Jan 11 2010, 09:42 AM
Post #1

IT SLIDES!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3,670
Car: Volkswagen R32 Mk V

Alright, so...

A few months ago I was joking around with my friends about a possible idea involving an XBOX360, a Microsoft Racing Wheel, Forza 3, and a setup in my friend's basement for the weekend of June 12, 2010. That's right, Le Mans.

The plan was for us three to drive a car (GT2, GT1, P2, or P1) during the actual 24 Hours of Le Mans and stint the race realistically, and see how we do.

Because of the insane factual inaccuracies between real life and the game, the results from our race wouldn't be comparable enough to really enjoy doing it... so here comes my idea: it would be more fun to race against other people doing the same thing. This is where DS comes in.

Would any of you guys be interested in racing against us?

Get a team of three, and we'll drive from the start of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, at 3:00 PM in Le Mans, France, 9:00 AM EST, etc. for 24 hours. Switch off as you see fit, but stay within the rules: no driver sits for more than 4 hours straight.

Unfortunately there's an issue. Forza 3, like Forza 2, doesn't support more than 75 laps in multiplayer. In the real 24 Hours of Le Mans, the winning P1 car will cover far more than 300 laps. This is my proposed solution: in hot lap mode, there is no lap maximum... you just keep driving, and I believe you can do this for 24 hours straight (still need to verify this, though).

Now, how do we keep track of one another? Every hour, on the hour, each team will post visual evidence (a photo with a timestamp) of their on-screen scoreboard, which shows laps, best time, last time, total time, etc. We will also communicate via Skype during the race as needed. Certain rules could be introduced, where every hour, a team can ask each other team about their car status (damage), laps completed, etc, before the pre-determined hourly posting.

Maybe we could make a prize or something for the winner, who knows? And if this idea is good enough and works, maybe we could do a couple more during the summer that we design ourselves, such as first to hit a number of laps on a given track, or first to drive a certain long distance, and make a tournament out of it. Again, who knows? Lots of possibilities!

What do you all think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MustangAficionad...
post Jan 11 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #2

Torque, it's what's for winners

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,952
Car: Supercharged 4.7L on an engine stand

I was really trying to be with you on this one. In tandem racing with the real 24 hrs, racing online, I have a wheel, ect.

But this has to be the worst idea I've ever heard. This sounds like more work than my job; and just counting my 4hr stints I'd rather be making $120, thank you.
By the time it got to racing alone in Hot Lap arcade, i think I was laughing vocally. At the point I did the math to realize someone in PST would have to wake up at 5:xxam to do this, I already had my buddy in here reading this with me.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Jan 11 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #3

Talkin' the talk since 2003

Group: Admin
Member No.: 27
Car: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T

I don't have the time, nor do I have the game. I might get the game soonish but I still wouldn't have the time.

+Quote Post
moe
post Jan 11 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #4

Posting God

Member No.: 1,451
Car: '13 Toyota 86

It's ridiculous, and way too complicated.

+Quote Post
Razor
post Jan 12 2010, 05:32 AM
Post #5

IT SLIDES!

Member No.: 3,670
Car: Volkswagen R32 Mk V

Thanks for the input, guys. As I pointed out in the subtitle, I knew this could be a much-hated idea. It's really too bad that Turn 10 chose not to include what could have been an idea to make this a lot easier, and that was the proposed Le Mans mode, where the grid had all classes (GT2, GT1, P2 and P1), and players could replace any of the AI cars on the grid with their own for a 24-hour race and it would do all the stat-keeping for you, not to mention it would allow multiplayer! Oh well, I can always hope for a very-much non-existant DLC, right? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
dukenukem
post Jan 12 2010, 03:01 PM
Post #6

**Snuggles**

Member No.: 166
Car: 2006 Subaru WRX STI

QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jan 11 2010, 08:32 PM) *
I don't have the time, nor do I have the game. I might get the game soonish but I still wouldn't have the time.

I bet you are will be too busy walking into fork lifts and diggers and steam rollers. :o

+Quote Post
MustangAficionad...
post Jan 12 2010, 06:23 PM
Post #7

Torque, it's what's for winners

Member No.: 3,952
Car: Supercharged 4.7L on an engine stand

QUOTE(Razor @ Jan 12 2010, 05:32 AM) *
Thanks for the input, guys. As I pointed out in the subtitle, I knew this could be a much-hated idea. It's really too bad that Turn 10 chose not to include what could have been an idea to make this a lot easier, and that was the proposed Le Mans mode, where the grid had all classes (GT2, GT1, P2 and P1), and players could replace any of the AI cars on the grid with their own for a 24-hour race and it would do all the stat-keeping for you, not to mention it would allow multiplayer! Oh well, I can always hope for a very-much non-existant DLC, right? tongue.gif

Multi-class would be sweet. Thing is even with 1 class there's enough people running each other off the road. Since no one's a professional driver, no one focuses on consistency and acts like its a 1 lap race even with 50laps, on the first corner.

+Quote Post
tune
post Jan 13 2010, 05:54 AM
Post #8

Lighting Consultant

Member No.: 719
Car: '07 Fiat Bravo

I'd do this, if it was a little simpler and also I wasn't in Le Mans at the time you've planned to do it!

There was a Le Mans game for the PS2, which allowed a full Le Mans mode, shame it hasn't been replicated since.

I'd love to do it one day actually, but I think I'd struggle to find enough people to make a full team that would be enthusiastic to the end.

I suppose you could never replicate the Le Mans race properly either, as the damage and potential for mechanical failures are never going to be the same as real life. How could you engineer random failures in an online world? People would say that it's massively unfair, even at random like it is in real life.
Also the amount of time spent in the pits etc. etc.

Would be good if a developer nailed it though.

+Quote Post
brettlee
post Apr 21 2010, 03:11 AM
Post #9

Dirty Oil Filter

Member No.: 5,396

A new facelift version of the popular Mazda6 will make its world premiere at this year’s Geneva Motor Show in March. This new, upgraded version enhances the strengths of its predecessor, retaining its fun-to-drive feeling and excellent fuel efficiency; while improving refinement, cabin ambience, environmental compatibility and safety performance.

+Quote Post
BlackJack
post Apr 21 2010, 06:50 AM
Post #10

Audi Fanboy; Toyota Hateboy

Member No.: 560

spam.gif March is in the past ya know.

+Quote Post
Lancer007
post Apr 24 2010, 03:30 PM
Post #11

jedi leprechaun douchebag in training

Member No.: 2,507
Car: 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer ES

I never saw this but what are your guys gamertags on Xbox live? I'd love to race some of you guys if we're online at the same time. Mine is the same as my username on here. Just let me know who you are if you add me

+Quote Post
350Z
post Apr 25 2010, 04:09 AM
Post #12

Efini

Member No.: 1,083
Car: 2005 Seat Leon Cupra R

Spirit Furtive.

Im normally happy to play forza.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2018 - 01:56 AM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here