Total Votes: 54

Mr b00st
post Oct 10 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #21

That Frigging BMW Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 222
Car: 1997 BMW 328i

yay! someone offering an opinion based on experience. It makes me so happy smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GiB
post Nov 29 2007, 02:18 AM
Post #22

Dirty Oil Filter

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,161
Car: 1983 Matra Murena 2.2 (S kit)

Raspberry.gif To those "drivers" who don' know the Murena from an amateur but enthusiastic driver Raspberry.gif You don't know what you're missing. To the informed opinions expressed keep them coming, always willing to learn and improve!

I bought my third Murena end 2005 (S kit = sports kit, like the last 480 factory-built, with around 140 bhp!) Happy to find one in good condition, mechanically and bodily. After close to 25 years it still gets compliments from the few who recogise it. It is also still in one piece, including the early glued rear upper panels! Practical? probably not! Fun, when it behaves, defninitely! Economical, No! BUT for acceleration and noise from the twin carbs, nothing to beat it. Hates driving in traffic, but on the open road magic!

It is a pig to fill the fuel tank, requiring concentration not to spill fuel on the bodywork. The boot is massive, for the type of car, originally measured in crates of beer, 4 in the centre! All that space when on your own is very useful. Ventilation crap, even the air inlet for the fan is under the back lip of the front bonnet. That is when you thank God for the sunroof. Costs so far, minimal for a car that age. One new alternator, fitted the 80 Amp instead of the standard 50, and one new battery. Some sealing work on the wheels, leaking air due to long storage periods and still not completely fixed.

So far, it goes and continues to go when required! One spare wheel could be a disadvantage because of the two sizes of tyre fitted as standard 185 front 195 rear. The boot is wided because the whole car is wider at the back. Hope that you get a puncture in the front as the spare is usually the smaller front size of tyre.

To the Blazer driver, dream on! Almost anything can beat a yank tank in a straight line. Don't even ask me to drive one on sand, as in Saudi Arabia I had to pull a Suburban out of a sandy parking space with a Nissan Patrol, backwards!

When youthful, impetuous and less careful when driving, the Murena is not a bad car to own, like I did with a 1.6 and straight 2.2 litre in the mid-80s ... most of the panels can be replaced by removing the fixings and replacing them. Large headed rivets hold most of them on. Unlike its predecessor the Bagheera which was of unitary construction - one piece bodywork ... try fixing that after a crash!

Ah yes, the most important, in Great Britain the steering wheel is on the wrong side, so compared to prices in Europe the cars are usually cheap!

The thing to regret most is that Renault killed it off, and would not spend any more money on it. This, because both the Renault Fuego and Renault Alpine would not have been able to cope with the competition! Though Renault were smart enough to use Matra to make the Espace, 750,000 of them!

+Quote Post
moe
post Nov 29 2007, 06:34 AM
Post #23

Posting God

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,451
Car: '13 Toyota 86

QUOTE(GiB @ Nov 29 2007, 02:18 PM) *
To the Blazer driver, dream on! Almost anything can beat a yank tank in a straight line. Don't even ask me to drive one on sand, as in Saudi Arabia I had to pull a Suburban out of a sandy parking space with a Nissan Patrol, backwards!

You live in Saudi Arabia? You are my hero. My parents still live there, I go back every now and then...awesome place.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th September 2017 - 11:27 AM