Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 289 V8 engine question
Guest_The Spyder_*
post Aug 28 2003, 01:46 PM
Post #1

Guests

I noticed on the bottom of my pistons that the numbering .060 over had been marked, that and the crank shaft also had mechinest numbers marked on it. The whole engine looks to have been rebuilt, used very lightly, and then taken apart!
I bought this used from a fellow 67' mustang owner, who purchsed it from a friend.

What does this mean as in performance?
These look to be forged pistons, but other then that i dont know.
My uncle wants me to replace them with hi performance ones, change the compresson to 10.5:1, use a stroke of 2.87" and bore of 4.05" and pretty much match the HIPO specs. But i dont know how to agjust compression, change bore, or stroke????

He has done simmilar to a few 289's and pulls atleast 300hp at the wheels-
Spyder
huh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Aug 28 2003, 03:07 PM
Post #2

Talkin' the talk since 2003

Group: Admin
Member No.: 27
Car: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T

Adjusting compression means new pistons and/or new heads that squeeze the air more, adjusting the bore means boring out the cylinders and putting in bigger pistons to match, and stroking means a new crankshaft and new connecting rods.

+Quote Post
Cryofuzion
post Aug 28 2003, 03:19 PM
Post #3

Shift Noob

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

The .060 is what the engine has currently been bored to over.

+Quote Post
Guest_The Spyder_*
post Aug 28 2003, 04:25 PM
Post #4

Guests

i knew the bored .060 part biggrin.gif, so from the stock whatever, the 4.05 is what i want it, but whats stock?
And now i got the new crankshaft, rods parts biggrin.gif this sounds easy! biggrin.gif lol

+Quote Post
Guest_The Spyder_*
post Aug 28 2003, 04:36 PM
Post #5

Guests

pretty much i want to take my C code and make it a K code-
so where could i find soild lifters?
http://www.thecarsource.com/fords/engines/.../289engine.html

+Quote Post
Guest_Lee7_*
post Aug 31 2003, 02:04 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE(The Spyder @ Aug 29 2003, 12:36 AM)
pretty much i want to take my C code and make it a K code-
so where could i find soild lifters?
http://www.thecarsource.com/fords/engines/.../289engine.html

hrm, you better hope that the block doesnt need to be bored anymore, you are pretty much at the limit.

Anyways, you can get solid lifters from tons of places, but i would screw the (K-Code) crap and just throw in a roller cam and lifters, this would help performance ALOT.

http://www.cranecams.com makes lifters, cams, valvesprings, almost every valvetrain component. They also take the guess work out of everything and tell you which parts will work with the cam.

10.25:1 compression is good on a street motor, but you will have to use premium gas.

Your stroke is already 2.87", thats what a 289 comes with stock, and your bore right now should be 4.060 because its been bored .060 over.

And with a stroke of 2.87", that thing will be a rev monster.

+Quote Post
Guest_The Spyder_*
post Sep 2 2003, 10:17 PM
Post #7

Guests

well i figured out quite a bit...
but this last post helped alot, thanks!
Ive got a set of e7te heads of a 90's 302 comming, new set of ported exhaust headers, porting the intake and exhaust on the new heads. Sould be able to pull a good amount of hp out of this biggrin.gif

This may sound very stupid, but are there any Nitrous kits avalible that my engine could handle?
Thanks
Spyder

+Quote Post
Guest_Lee7_*
post Sep 4 2003, 08:57 AM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE(The Spyder @ Sep 3 2003, 06:17 AM)
well i figured out quite a bit...
but this last post helped alot, thanks!
Ive got a set of e7te heads of a 90's 302 comming, new set of ported exhaust headers, porting the intake and exhaust on the new heads. Sould be able to pull a good amount of hp out of this biggrin.gif

This may sound very stupid, but are there any Nitrous kits avalible that my engine could handle?
Thanks
Spyder

maybe a 100shot... but i would get forged pistons and connecting rods before I went any further.

And yes, alot of people make kits for ford carbed engines.

just goto www.summitracing.com and look around.

+Quote Post
Guest_stapler_*
post Sep 5 2003, 09:33 AM
Post #9

Guests

changing these ratios is neither easy nor inexpensive

plan on all new parts and machining to boot, unless those numbers are common for your engine, you might need custom crank/rods

check with companies like Crower for custom jobs, otherwise summit racing and jegs will be your best friends

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2020 - 09:28 AM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here